What's new

Thinking about buying a receiver (1 Viewer)

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Ok Im thinking about buying a receiver, what do I need to look for guys and also when is an amplifier needed?

I know this is a vague question but looking for where to start, been looking at the yamahas and pioneers at Best Buy

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
A receiver IS an amplifier. And a tuner, and a Pre-amp. So you get it all.

At best buy, you get a good spread of entry level stuff. Go with what looks good. If you get it home and hate it, return it for another.

Beyond sound, today's stuff is also about user-friendliness. Remote works with your other stuff? Programmable? Pre-amp outs for future power amp?

If it were me, Yamaha.

- CM

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
What receiver do you have now?

I recently upgraded from a 3-year old entry level kenwood to a new mid-entry level (The RX-V450, aka HTR5740)second from the lowest end) yamaha, and the difference was just astounding.

YOu might also want to check out the digital amps from panasonic, they've been gettin some good reviews...

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I'd also recommend Onkyo. Their some sweet deals out there.

How much are you willing to spend?

Things to look for:
1. Decodes DTS-ES, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Prologic II, 6.1 surround
2. Make sure it has s-video swithcing
3. You'll need multiple digital audio connections specifically for your DVD player, CD Player, possibly the cable box.
4. Depending how large the room is you'll need to make sure you have enough wattage to power your speakers, 75-100 watts per channel.

That's all I can think of. Good luck.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
I dont have a receiver now, building my system at this time

looking at either the Pioneer 1014 or Yamaha 5760

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks