What's new

Thinking about buying a playstation... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have NES, SNES, N64, Cube, and Xbox systems, but never jumped into the playstation market. Romier indicated that Silent Hill 1 would be important for Silent Hill 3, so now I'm thinking about picking up a PSone on Ebay. Any suggestions on things to watch for? (for example, I avoided NES with broken connectors or discolored SNES machines).

I know there are hundreds of PS titles out there, but is there consensus on "must haves"? I'm not interested in sports games or games that are available in some form on more recent machines (e.g. Res Evil series). Silent Hill 1 is an obvious choice.

Which Final Fantasies are on PSone? I've got tons of RPGs on the SNES, so those may be the only PS RPGs I want.

Update: Are PS1 games playable on a PS2? If so would I just be better off getting the PS2? I'm stuck in Nintendo mode, not used to backwards-compatibility:)

Jim Sit

Grip
Kevin,

PS1 games are indeed playable on the PS2, you are probably best geting a PS2. I believe that in some cases load times are slightly faster and graphics are somewhat improved as well.

If you do decide to get a PS1, you want to avoid the earlier models which had a real problem with overheating. Your best bet would probably be the latest model called the PSOne. I believe you can pick it up new for $49.99.

As far as must haves, if you like driving games then Gran Turismo 2 is excellent (which you can follow up with GT3 if you get the PS2). Tekken 3 is also great. As a fan of RPG's you would probably enjoy Vagrant Story, which many consider an underrated classic.

I believe that FFVII thru FFIX appeared on PS1, but I'm not a huge fan so I might be wrong.

Also check out:

Wipeout series
Tony Hawk 2
Metal Gear Solid
Omega Boost

I'm sure you will get many other recommendations.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Every single PS1 game is playable on the PS2. There are a few games that don't take advantage of the extra features on the PS2 (the PS2 can speed up loading times and sharpen graphics of 99% of PS1 games, but a few don't work).

Final Fantasy 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and Tactics are all on either PS1 or PS2. Get a PS2 and you get all of them. Final Fantasy 3 isn't out in America for PS2 because of some bizarre numbering schemes they used.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Yeah, PS2 plays all games, with a few exceptions. And while my PS2 is on hiatus right (just bought a XBox), it still a great system. Pick up all the Final Fantasy games, as all but 8 are good. And get Brave Fencer Musashi, it a underrated classic from Square that is very fun and funny too. Oh and get Chrono Cross and Xenogears and Suikoden. If you go down the PS2 side, then get Xenosaga (don't own it, but heard it good), Suikoden 3, Final Fantasy X, Grand Tursomo (whatever) 3, Twisted Metal Black, or any other good suggestions.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
avoid the earlier models which had a real problem with overheating.
Got mine on 9-9-95 (launch day in U.S.) and I haven't had one problem. Still plays like she's new. :emoji_thumbsup:

I suppose there a plenty of people still putting theirs' on the carpeting.:rolleyes

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Every single PS1 game is playable on the PS2.
There's a handful that aren't. It's not correct to say 100% ;) Of course, most of the ones that aren't compatible are utterly poo, so it's not that big a deal. There used to be a list on the Playstation.com website, but I've no idea if it's still there.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
IF you like classic video RPG's I'd pick up the Lunar series, also. Great storyline, and the cutscenes are really cool. The packaging is pretty sweet too, if you can find the "Complete" packages.

Ryan*Pr*

Agent
Pick up all the Final Fantasy games, as all but 8 are good.
I have to completely disagree. FF8 had one of the best stories out of any. I liked it a whole lot better than 7. I have tried to play 7 about 3 times and can never finish it because I get so bored.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Vagrant Story, which many consider an underrated classic.
How can it be underrated if it's one of the only games to get a 40/40 from famitsu? I mean, it's a decent little game and all, but it's OVERRATED if anything.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Actually Im getting a PS2 next month (when budget allows.) I have an Xbox but theres too many Ps games I want.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Definitely get FF8. Take the time to understand the battle system and the character modification system and then you'll be able to rock the game.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Take the time to understand the battle system and the character modification system
Translation: Sit in the battle screen clicking the "draw magic" option until your finger hurts and you realize how f-ing boring the whole thing is:D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
No, I meant learn how the whole Junction system actually affects your character attributes and such. Once you figure that out, you can modify your stats to the point of being unstoppable in the middle of the second disc.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
No, I meant learn how the whole Junction system actually affects your character attributes and such
I know what you meant Morgan. It was a half-serious joke;)

(PS. The Junction system is directly related to the "Draw" magic system since your attributes and the attributes of your summons are affected according to what magic spells you have "junctioned" so the translation still stands:))

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It sort of stands. You can purchase magic and draw it from draw points rather than from enemies, IIRC, so ha!:D

Jim Sit

Grip
How can it be underrated if it's one of the only games to get a 40/40 from famitsu? I mean, it's a decent little game and all, but it's OVERRATED if anything.
I really meant underrated more in terms of public response to the game. It came out pretty late in the PS1 life-cycle and was overlooked by a lot of people IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks