Thinking about an 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee.. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Shane Martin, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Given the fact I can get a stellar deal on a partially used 04 Grand Cherokee Limited 4wd I'm considering it. I've done alot of research and Jeep GC's are a mixed bag.

My initial intent was to buy a Honda Pilot or a Toyota 4 Runner but I'm finding that if I want a V8 4 Runner used(can't afford new) I might as well buy a new one.

So are there any owners out there that would like to share their experiences?

The one I'm considering is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4 Wheel Drive for around 22k. Leather, Heated Seats, 4.7L V8, Moonroof, the whole 9 yards. It is a great deal but I'm a bit weary on the reliability which seems like a mixed bag but I'm not sure.

My only other experience is with my wife's Jeep Wrangler and its been rock solid(no issues) at all. I know how this particular 04 has been maintained but I'm just trying to get a grasp on what I'm diving into.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

What's "partially used" ?

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

As an owner (my wife, actually) of a 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland (which is a loaded Limited), I can say the car has been very good so far, but Jeep's reliability ratings continue to haunt them. I recently saw a study that showed a new Grand Cherokee will lose 67% of its value after 3 years-- the worst of almost any car or truck on the road.

Considering that MSRP was $37k almost 3 years ago for my 2002, it's amazing that you can get a 2004 for $22k (unless it really has some high mileage).

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Consumer Reports "Used Cars to Avoid" lists the Grand Cherokee from 1996 through 2003.

5. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

What toasters do they list to avoid?

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Like 18k miles. Nothing wrong with it. It's just that good of a deal due to how many her company buys. It's was an executives car.

7. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I own a 94 Grand Cherokee that I purchased at 105k from my father in 2000. He had absolutely no problems with it.

I've had to replace A/C, Muffler, Water Pump, Coil, Catalytic, CV Joints, 2 sets of discs and pads in 60k miles (mechanic claims Chrysler doesn't beef up the brakes for the weight of the vehicle). The tranny also leaks like a sieve, but I'm just putting up with it since it shifts ok. The radio is dying a slow death (won't play tapes and FM reception is getting weak), power locks intermittently don't work.

But... the 5.2 V-8 runs like a champ ! Starts with no problems, still plenty of power, etc.... As soon as the next big repair comes along I'm donating it to a local charity. Trade-in is ~800.00 if in pristine condition (which it's far from). Going with a Toyota for ultimate long-term reliability.

If you really love the vehicle, my advice is to dump it around 70-80k miles. My brother has a GC with 75k and it's starting to "bleed" him... Prior to this it's been trouble free. Good luck !

8. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Just the usual, the drunken uncles and brothers-in-law. [​IMG]

9. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Shane, this is a case where if you really like the Jeep and are concerned about reliability, an extended warranty might make sense.