What's new

Thinking about adding a second sub (1 Viewer)

Shawn_MA

Auditioning
Greetings all! I have a PB12 Ultra/2 that I just got last week and all I have to say is this thing is a Brute! Tried out some of my favorite movies on this thing and I'm very impressed! The crash scene on Flight of the Phoenix just shook the hell out of my living room. However, I'm thinking about adding a PC Ultra for more output.:D I would get another PB12 Ultra/2 but I don't have the space for it. What do you guys think? Will the PC Ultra be a nice match for my Ultra/2? Any comments are appreciated.;)

Paul Mor

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a PB Plus/2 in a relatively large room and I can't imagine needing more bass. That being said, if you can afford it and feel like you want it, go for it.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Umm, are you reaching the limits of a single Ultra/2 ? You might also consider experimenting w/ location of the 2nd sub, if you should get one. There is a paper by Harman Intl. that talks about placing 2 subs on the midpoints of opposite walls for the best balance of bass in all seating positions.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Here is the link to the Harman page that Richard mentioned. I use a BFD with 2 subs that are placed center front & center rear. To the best I can tell, the bass is equal in all my seating positions.
Be careful though. It looks like you have the early signs of becoming a bassaholic :D
Dave

Doug McBride

Auditioning
I did the same thing in the Plus line except I started with a 20-39PC+ and added a PB12-Plus/2 after a few weeks.

You may not "need" it, but if you "want" it why not? One thing is for sure, you can get a lot of bass and headroom, and not work your subs nearly as hard, as trying to do the same with one (even if it a /2). Mine are not colocated and I still get ~ 4db - 5db more with two. Colocated you should be able to get 6db (or about 2X as you might expect.)

One thing two subs can do in a negative sense is cause even more bizzare behavior with regard to room modes and as such require careful phase alignment ("easier" with SVS's continuous phase control). Have you measured your FR in the room yet and are you using the EQ in the sub or an external EQ? Getting that flattened out a bit will also give you the perception of "more" bass.

We're all bassaholics - some just choose to feed their habit more than others... :D

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks