Thinking about a small LT subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rory Buszka, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I am going off to college in a year, and I want to be able to bring my bass with me, but not in such a measure that it causes me to get in trouble with neighbors, and I've decided that a Linkwitz Transform subwoofer would the best way to get bass that's low, but not necessarily loud. It only has to fill a dorm room. I want to use an 8" driver (might be persuaded to go 10") and a 150-watt subwoofer amplifier that I have. I want it to be able to go down to 25 Hz, but it doesn't need to be loud, and it doesn't need to hit me in the chest.
    Likely candidates:
    Tangband 8" woofer
    Audax 10" woofer - http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15150&DID=7
    Am I dumb?

2. For an LT, I would personally want a 12" driver or larger with decent excursion. I think the 10" might not be a very good idea, and especially the 8". 125W is also not a lot of power to work with with and LT. Have you modeled it yet? I really think you should model this with an LT to see how much SPL you can get with your responce requirements and hardware.

What type of budget do you have? How large of a box can you accomidate?

3. BTW, even if you are wrong, you are not dumb. Dumb would be not creating this thread to find out! [​IMG]

4. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

The TB W8 will have a maximum SPL of 92 dB at 25 Hz. That is the limit of cone travel at the rated power.
    However if you want NO MORE than 97 dB at 25 Hz then an LT with this driver http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=117656&DID=7
    and a small 120 watt plate amp in a 50l sealed box would do it. It might even be impressive in a dorm room.

5. Mark, that might work well. I wouldn't use an LT on it. I would probably just try and modify the bass boost to say 4db at 28hz.

6. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Anthony,
    I'm just impressed with the concept of LTs and now Im thinking about the Tumult and a bigger amp. I can really see the advantages of the LT, esp if you can tune it. No longer tied to the box design, driver(to a degree) and the tuning of the port. Playing with the software it looks like you can change just 1 resistor (r301) and get a significant boost change if you accept a small Q change.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I have 3 of the TB 8" woofers. I'm currently testing one in an 11" cube moderately stuffed and powered by a 250W PE amp. I bought the amp with the 6dB of boost at 30Hz since I knew this baby would need some help down low. So far I'm pretty impressed with the sub. It hits pretty hard. I need to run a frequency sweep just to see exactly what's happening down low though. I'm pretty sure I'll end up modifying the boost at some point.

I'm not sure I'd want to try to LT this thing but the idea is intriguing.

Brian

8. Rory Buszka

My budget is less-than-$200, using the plate amp I already have. I just want something that can do somewhere between 25 and 30 Hz with the LT. I think a 1-cubic-foot box +/- 6 cu. in. is okay for what I want. I have the Parts Express plate amp that puts out 150 watts into 4 ohms.

9. I still think an LT is not the way to go, but do so if you still wish. Do you have your bass boost disabled on your amp. If not, you absolutely will want to if you plan on also using an LT.

Have you considered the Peerless XLS10 with the 10" PR option? You can probably get them for ~ $200.

You know, an SV-10 would be perfect for you sealed in 1ft^3 w/o an LT (even with the bass boost). The only place to get them is meniscus and you'll have to email them.

If you still want to go with an LT, then there are lots of drivers to choose from: XLS10, MKII-10, SV-10, SB-10, BP1001 etc. They will all work for you.

10. Rory Buszka

I already have a 1001 and I was planning at some point to build it into a 14" cube with two PRs on each side.

11. An LT DOES NOT work for ported or PR enclosures. Only sealed/IB.

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Tony,

I've been meaning to ask Mike Dzurko about the SV10 and Meniscus. Since ACI has gotten out of the DIY business all together I wonder if Meniscus simply has a supply of the various ACI drivers and will be unavailable once that supply is depleted. I'll try to remember to contact Mike for more info.

Brian

13. Rory Buszka

To clarify: The 1001 in the cube would not use an LT, just the PRs would be sufficient.

14. Brian, I believe they currently have stock of the SV-10 and will be replacing them with a "meniscus-10" that has specs very very close to the SV-10.

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Tony,

Thanks! I spoke with someone at ACI that verified that the SV10 is no longer for sale to the public unless Meniscus does happen to have some stock left.

Brian

16. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Brian, have you been into the Long Island Iced Tea? You're spilling the beans about my CarverCrusher idea. Oh well, too late now. Don't tell 'em about the dual-driver version, okay?[​IMG]
    If the Meniscus 10" will be similar to the SV10, AND they can lower the price, that would be great! Hey, I can always hope.

17. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hank,
    Well, these guys wouldn't be buying our subs anyway! They'll be building their own. Anyway, if I tweak the amp I don't have to tell them exactly what I did now do I? [​IMG]
    Let's just contact Eminence and have them build us a BF-10 (Bunge/Frankenberg)! Let's see, 100 drivers times...
    Brian

18. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

100 drivers x $20 = $2,000. Pocket change, my boy, pocket change (that is, IF we can find 100 customers[​IMG]).

19. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hank,
    I'd imagine probably closer to $30 for a BF-10. [​IMG]

20. Brian, but what about the Gomer-12? =)