What's new

Thinking about a projector. But have questions. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I work at compusa now. I used to work at soundtrack.... but anyways. I can get a Viewsonic projector, 400:1 contrast and 1200 lumens with component, etc in, and HD Compatable. I am really sure this is the way I want to go to finish my hometheater. But I have a question.

If I have a projector in my living room on, and I have the lights on in the adjecent dining room, can I still see the picture at all? Or is it best to keep my tv????? Because I will sit down and watch tv while my wife plays on the computer. Will I still be able to see it really well?

Also about how much will I be investing in a screen for it. I have an off white wall I would proably us temporarily. But I will get a screen one day if I need one.

Thanks guys. BTW its good to be back. I havent been on here since I bought my SVS.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jesse, the room needs to be pretty dark. Otherwise forget about a front projector. By the way, you could do much better than a Viewsonic projector.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Really? Well hmmmm. Maybe Ill see if my boss will let me borrow it. See how it looks, then buy it. LOL.

Which brands do you recommend. Unfortunatly I have a budget under $1000.

Well heres the thing. The room will be very dark at times when I acctually sit down and WATCH a movie or play a game. But when Im just folding laundry or eating dinner I will have other lights in the room on. Should I just keep my small tv for these occassions?

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Hi Jesse,

Depends on how much light from the adjacent room spills in. I have no experience with a Viewsonic FP with 1200 lumens but with my BenQ 6100 (rated at 1500 lumens but I suspect it's closer to 700-800 lumens in economic mode) I often actually turn on the lights (on a dimmer) in an adjacent room because I find the picture too bright and hard on the eyes. Eye strain is greatly reduced when I have ambient light and picture quality does not appear to suffer. On the other hand, when I have the main lights on, the picture is significantly washed out...

If you can, borrow the projector and test it out first.

JB

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jesse, I'm assuming you want to buy from your store? What other choices do you have there in your price range?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
First off, keep your tv for TV viewing. This particular projector's specs are those of a typical data projector used for doing presentations so it will be fairly bright but the contrast ratio will make it tend to display grays rather than deep blacks and lights in the room will further wash out the contrast ratio rendering movie watching to an unbearable experience due to the lack of shadow detail.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I would go with the 4805 ED projo over this one for sure. Justmy 2 cents on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks