Thinking about a GC-have a question though...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Leroy, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

With used GC's going for $70, I've been thinking about getting one when Rogue Squadron III comes out. Now, I already have an Xbox,DC and PC, and my fave genre is FPS's. I tried Metroid, but HATED the control scheme!! Are there any exclusive FPS's coming out forthe GC, and do any of the existing ones support dual analog type controls (one for moving, one for aiming). I hate having to buy a console for just one game, so I'd like to get an Idea of what the GC library leans toward. Also, the core Nintendo games (Mario games of any type, F-Zero etc.. aren't of major interest to me.)

Also, are there any good RPG's out for the GC, having bough an finished KOTOR on the box I'm looking to get another good RPG. And one more question, does Resident Evil 0 still have the funky control of all the other Capcom survival games?

Thanks.

2. Ken Holmes

Ken Holmes Stunt Coordinator

If you're buying just for Rogue Squadron you might want to wait because rumours are that all 3 RS games will be released to xbox next year.

The following is from IGN.com Remember though that this is just a rumour

Rebel X
    In other Star Wars-related news, we've heard that the Rogue Squadron trilogy of games (Rogue Squadron (N64), Rogue Leader (GCN), Rebel Strike (GCN)) is making its way to the 'Box in late 2004 to coincide with the DVD release of the first three movies (A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi). Referred to internally as "Rebel X," rumor has it that the three titles will be bundled together for one supreme Star Wars package. No word yet on any additions/enhancements to the titles, but anything's a possibility.

With the Rogue games being some of the GameCube's strongest titles, the end of exclusivity may spell trouble for Nintendo. We'd like to assume that the success of Star Wars games on the Xbox, especially KOTOR, has made Factor 5 rethink its current position and move on to better sales and a more profitable future. Does this spell the end of Star Wars game development on the GameCube? Not necessarily, but with support for Nintendo's console steadily declining we'd be surprised to hear of any new LucasArts games coming out for the system. Of course, this has little relevance to the next generation of consoles, but for the GameCube, Rebel Strike may be it.

We'll have much more on KOTOR 2 and Rebel X in the coming weeks, so keep your eyes peeled and you ears open.

3. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I also found the Metroid control scheme a bit awkward at first. However, after getting used to it, I found the game highly enjoyable- one of the best this past year. I also agree that if Rogue Squadron 3 is really the only game you are looking to get, it might be wise to borrow/rent a Gamecube and borrow/rent the game. I primarily use my Gamecube as a secondary system and have enjoyed it, although I purchased it with the intent of getting about a dozen games.

4. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Well, I think the Rebel X rumor has been quashed. Of course anything can happen, who would have thought we would have GTA3/Vice City on the Xbox before Christmas!?

The price drop and it's effect on used prices (plus the $60 in store credit at Gamestop)are making it hard to resist getting a Cube and RSIII.

5. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

Well the major reason to own a Gamecube is for the Nintendo first party games. If you're not interested in any of them then I would think twice about buying a GC.

I am also a console FPS fanatic. The dual analog set up is of course perfect for console FPS. I too was disappointed at first with Metroid Prime's controls. However, after a few minutes of play, MP's control scheme really does become second nature. As for upcoming GC exclusive FPS, there is Metroid Prime 2 and Geist that I know of.

Resident Evil 0 still features the funky control scheme from the previous games. However the game, as well as Resident Evil remake, are still very fun to play. Plus both can be found at discounted prices. The upcoming GC exclusive Resident Evil 4 is said to have a new improved control scheme.