thinking about a 5x channel amp, or 2x channel amp, and stereo pre

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Wenzel, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

I should have around 2k to throw away soon, and I was thinking of getting a nice 5x channel to use with my Rotel 1055., however, I was thinking about it, and I realized my split is really 85% music and 15% HT.

So it occured to me, that I may be better off getting a nice 2 channel amp to go with my system and possibly a separate stereo pre. I could get the 200x2 rotel stereo amp and their higher end stereo pre for about that much, or i could get their 200x5 mc, if i just kept it to rotel. But I will be considering, parasound, adcom, and ATI as well...

My next serious purchase after this will be a very nice pair of mains (say 4-6k) and I will probably sell my current fronts. When this happens, I will most likely have a very mismatched speaker system, but I dont care that much as i am 85% music anyway.

One of my concerns is how do i hook up my fronts for both the stereo set up and the hometheater set up, assuming I go the stereo route? Do I just pre-out from my rotel to the stereo receiver? do i get a speaker switcher?

Rich

2. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

Im a big fan of the 1055, nice choice.

For music listening, I would get a 2 channel amp and an analog line stage. For $2000 you could get the Rotel RMB 1080 and an Adcom GFP-750 preamp. The 750 has a Home Theater pass through, a nice passive stage and a remote. Stereophile Class A recommended

For the hook-up, run the pre-out's from the 1055 into the preamps input. Hook up your DVD player to the 1055 for 5 channel and the rest of your 2 channel sources go straight into the preamp. When listing to music, you don't even turn on the 1055. When watching a movie, the main channels are passed through the preamp into the 2 channel amp and out to your speakers. The 2 channel amp will really help relieve the pressure from the 1055 during difficult playback passages making movies sound a lot better as well.

Good Luck

$0.02

3. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I wish I had 2K to "throw away".

4. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

well, its not like i have 2k in my pocket just to throw away everyday...its just a term iuse when spending money on hobby/toy/non-essential stuff...

if i take a vacation, its throw away money, if i buy 10 cd's, its throwaway money, etc...

just a term, besides, i work on the order of 90+ hours a week, i often consider quitting my job to take one with a lot more free time to enjoy my toys, and accept less "throw away" money...

Rich