What's new

Thinking about 3 center channel speakers? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

Since I upgraded my rear center speakers, I now have a pair of Mirage MBS-2 speakers which are spares. One of my continuing problems when watching certain DVDs is hearing quiet dialogue. Although my current pre/pro has a "night mode", I usually don't use it since it limits the transients which are so much fun in movie soundtracks. I was able to improve the problem a bit by moving my center channel to a stand in front, not on top of, my RPTV but I still want better. I was wondering if I could reinforce my center channel with this pair of speakers and help eliminate this problem. All these speakers share the same tweeters and mids, so matching them tonally would not be a problem.
Has anyone tried this and does, or would, it work?
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Sean-D

Agent
John,
I assume that you tried increasing the db level parameter in your receiver or processor surround sound level controls first. Right?
------------------
Sean-D.
"If at first you don't succeed...,remove all evidence that you ever tried."

J

John Morris

Sean: Yeah, I calibrated it, via AVIA using my RS meter, to +3dB versus my front left and right speakers. And, it's not like it is really bad or something, I am just striving for system perfection and I've two speakers with nothing to do...
smile.gif

------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Sean-D

Agent
John,
A few reasons why that might be problematic:
1. How are you going to compensate for the extreme shift in focus when you over emphasize that particular channel?
(Most home video releases are mixed with the lion's share of sound information encoded in the center channel already. I'm afraid you may solve one problem and create another.)
2. What about your surround balance? (Surround channel information is sometimes encoded very subtle on certain dvd's and if not properly set-up can be drowned out by an over-powered center or L+R mains.)
3. How in world is your wife/girlfriend/significant other going to let you get away with that? (smile)
(My girlfriend told me if I tried to put another speaker in the living room she was going to kill me! I think she was joking,....I hope she was any way.)
Try it out, see what kind of results you can get.
Happy Hunting!
------------------
Sean-D.
"If at first you don't succeed...,remove all evidence that you ever tried."

BruceD

Screenwriter
If I understand correctly, won't multiple speakers (like the 3 you suggest) outputing the same "CENTER" signal but in slightly different locations cause combing distortion and actually degrade the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks