Thinkin HTR 5650 Yamaha

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jim Demon, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Jim Demon

Jim Demon Auditioning

Anyone who has an opinion:
    I am a total newbie to HT. I have a Toshiba SCD-2200 (I think) DVD player, a Toshiba, Super VHS VCR and a decent35" RCA television. I have everything connecting to each other. For instance, the DVD and cable goes to the VCR, which goes to the TV. Since the TV has Picture in Picture, I have a second cable connection going directly to the TV.

I need to introduce sound and at the same time, bring some order to my compnents. I was thinking the Yamaha HTR-5650 looked like a good solid choice, with s-vid, component etc available. Also it allows to sources of sound, which is what I am looking for. I will have to buy speakers, but I can deal with that. My budget is around 300-400 for the reciever and probably $100 for the speakers. Note that I can buy the speakers in steps, so if I can buy two small ones, life is good.

Last, the wife wants wireless speakers to use on the deck. Thoguths on that?

2. Jeff&R

Jeff&R Auditioning

I would suggest th HTR-5660 ($330) or the Harmon Kardon AVR-230 ($375) @ Vanns.com

The 5660 has all pre-outs for possible future amp upgrades and is better for movies more so than music (brighter sounding amp) .

The AVR-230 is abit more musical
    (laid back sound) and has a slightly better amp with a better "continous" power rating vs the Yamaha .

3. Jim Demon

Jim Demon Auditioning

You are going to have to forgive me, I am not certain what a "pre-out" is. Also, is it a "step above" the HTR-5650? I have seen the HTR-5650 priced around $260. That extra $70 bucks could go some way to speakers....

4. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

Jim im a newbie to but if your gonna get the HTR make sure you listen to it first cause me and another guy have had abnormal hissing noise with the 5640, not saying they all do but just to be safe. Wherever your gonna buy it try it out on whatever speakers there hooked up to and put your ear up to a speaker, if you dont hear any hissing turn it up alittle bit.

Just to be safe.

5. Jim Demon

Jim Demon Auditioning

YIKES! Hissing? I was going to buy it online, after I looked at it at the local Best Buy. Since Best Buy is $399 and online I can get it for $260 or so. Did you contact Yamaha and get the unit replaced or something?

Also, do you know a good review site for these components?

6. Mitch G

Mitch G Agent

Can you describe a bit more about this "abnormal hissing?"
    I have an HTR-5640 and haven't noticed anything like this.
    But, it could be that I haven't encountered it yet, or haven't noticed it - yet.

So, if there is a fundamental problem I would like to know about it now before it gets too late for me to return the unit.

Under what conditions are you hearing the hissing?

Thanks,

Mitch

7. Daman

Daman Second Unit

ya i too have a 5640 and have not noticed any hissing sound as yet.. does it come if you turn it up full volume and say the speakers arent playing anything.. ?? Eager to hear more about this..thanks
    Daman

8. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

it's always there, it's just harder to notice if you have the volume turned down. Lot easier to notice if you dont have a dvd in it's just not as loud. Once i pop a dvd in it the hissing will increase. Unnoticable if you have the volume down..but nobody ever does, if alot of stuff is going on i wont notice it unless there's something that agrivates it's condition like wind or some sort of high frequency noise. I first noticed it in the matrix during the jumping program cause it's very silent and there's a breeze and it really brought it out disgusting like. Also the louder i turn it up the louder the hissing will increase. If i turn it down i cant hear it on account of the distance between me and the speaker but nobody watches movies on surround sound that soft, it's pretty annoying but movies like Underworld keep my attention off of it. One movie that definetly doenst sound good is twister, wanna guess why? [​IMG]

I recently changed rooms which was an increase in size so it can go alittle louder without me hearin the hiss. No way to fix accept getting a new reciever it seems. Somebody else said they had the same problem with the same model, im just makin sure it doesnt happen to anybody else, i wasnt fortunate enough to figure it out before 30 days were up.

I dont want people to get scared of the model because of how my reciever is. It's not distortion, i compared my kenwood with it, my kenwood does do it at all, even at a really high volume, even when i turn the kenwood off and turn the volume all the way up to 0db absolutely nothing comes out of the speakers, but with the yamaha if i dont put anything in and turn the volume all the way up the noise is so loud and sssssssssssssssssssssssssssss like

9. Mitch G

Mitch G Agent

Hmmm. I just went and tried to hear some hissing on my receiver. I was able to hear what I would call white noise. But, my test consisted of turning up the volume with no input active (i.e. no input device turned on, or a paused DVD).

However, I wasn't able to hear it until I was around -10dB whereas most of my listening is closer to -45 maybe approaching -20 when the family is not in the house. [​IMG]
    At what volume level do you hear it?

And, I am also wondering if my hiss is just white noise caused by the fact that in my little experiment just now, I didn't have any audio input. Unfortunately, the family is sleeping so I can't exactly run an active movie test with the Matrix or Twister.

Mitch

10. Daman

Daman Second Unit

well yes even i tried it yesterday but wasnt able to hear any hissing till -15dB from the reciver and the max i think ill ever need to go is -25dB [​IMG] so i guess its pretty ok by me..