Thinkin; about getting an SVS....help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Ped, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

This forum has done its toll on me...I'm getting the feeling I want one of these SVS subs for myself. Right now I have the Cambridge Soundworks Basscube 12 and it's ok. I know there is something better and the SVS sounds like it. My setup is as follows:
    Mains: JBL S38
    Rears: JBL S36
    Center: JBL S-Center
    Sub: Cambridge Soundworks Basscube 12
    Reciever: Yamaha HTR-5460 (110 Watts per channel)
    I'm only 19 and I still live at home here, so this set-up is in the master bedroom (my bedroom) in the house. The room is about 15 x 20 or so. If I were to get a SVS sub, which one would be good for me? Realize that I'm a college student working at Best Buy earning $10/hour, so nothing to expensive. Any suggestions from owners would be great. Thanx!!!
    [Edited last by Mike_Ped on August 24, 2001 at 01:48 AM]

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Mike;
    I own an SVS 16-46PC myself. I live at home with my parents and possess the largest bedroom in the house. We have so much in common!
    Could you give us an idea of your listening habits? How often do you listen to movies and music? That might give us a better idea of what to recommend. Also, how much are you willing to spend?
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "And you can tell Rolling Stone magazine that my last words were... 'I'm on drugs!'"

3. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

I actually listen to movie soundtracks most often. Hans Zimmer, John Williams, etc... However, DVD's take a very close second in terms of playtime. Thanx for the help!

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Since cost seems to be your primary issue, and your room is small, I would suggest a 25-31 CS powered by some old amp laying around or from a garage sale or Ebay.

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Unlike Jeffrey and Brian, I'd recommend going with a 20-39. It should offer the best of both worlds to you. The SVS will put out very deep, low, clean bass. The boomy bass you are used to will not be there, so your ears may need a period of adjustment. Brian is right about the amp. Most anything will do for now and your receiver can handle the crossover.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I you have access to some wood working tools and have some basic know how and experience in wood working I'd recommend taking a gander into the DIY area of this forum. You can build one hell of a sub in the $300 to $500 USD range. Took me a while to be convinced to try it, but know that I have, I'm very happy I did. Here's a link to my beast:
    http://ht.s5.com/Sonosub.html
    And here is the link you'll find at the top of the DIY section that lists a whole bunch of others projects:
    http://members.tripod.com/~terrycthe...um/page12.html