Think security tape is bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe McKeown, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Stunt Coordinator

If you think the "Security Device Enclosed" stickers on DVD's are bad. Did you ever try to remove a child's toy from the packaging?

Talk about sadistic bastards. They put plastic shields over everything, then use these industrial twist-ties -- several of them. All of this then gets taped together using tape that can only be cut with a ginsu knife. Also it seems all the battery covers are now screwed on.

My daughter got a Barbie that was restrained worse than Hannibal Lecter. Christmas morning I'm getting the knives, cutters, and screwdrivers out of my tool kit to extricate my kid's new toys all while the kids are shouting "Dad, I want to play with that; when can I have that" My only reply, "Just watch the movie till I'm done getting this out of the damn box!"

Merry Christmas

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

As a collector of action figures... I know EXACTLY of what you speak. It can take me 10 minutes to get an elaborate figure and all it's accessories out of the packaging, sometimes it is NUTS!

3. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

4. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

I'll third the sentiment. I collect Star Wars toys, and the larger pieces (vehicles or 12" dolls) are absolute murder to remove from their packaging. I've commented many times that if I'm my age and can't remove the thing from the package in less than ten minutes, what hope does a kid who is probably extremely excited to have a new toy have of opening it without completely destroying it? [​IMG]
    I'd actually go as far as saying that the security tape on DVDs is more annoying, if only for the fact that the security tape has caused some actual damage to the cover (when the cover has slid in transit), whereas aside from the general annoyance of removing them, the twist-ties and rubber bands haven't really damaged anything on the toys in the long run.

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

7. Elvie

Elvie Stunt Coordinator

Cheers for Rob! Out of the package is a good thing [​IMG]
    I stopped collecting the figures years ago ... mine are from the original sets and have those lunchbox/matchbox cases (1 for each of the "original" films) so their little bits don't get lost. Although I wouldn't call the people who keep everything in the original packaging "total losers" (to each their own I say), but my figures have always sat out on my bookshelf like little sentries. [​IMG]

8. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

Usually the action figures I collect (Simpsons, for example) are on cardboard, so it's really easy to open. But I recently bought some movie/sports figures from McFarlane. What a pain in the @$$.
    Dean

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The worst i find is small electronics that can be put in those plastic packs...

I recently got a Graphign Calculator, that thing was a BITCH to take out.. The plastic its enclosed in is thick... Its like welded closed at the edges, and the thing is, its like folded, so... actually, nvm.. alls i gotta say is its a BITHC to take out... it hurst too, almost cut my finger

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

How about packages of ordinary batteries?! Yikes! Those are horrid to get into! Super-thick plastic casings, which become razor-sharp instruments of Death when you rip them! [​IMG]

11. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    I really don't understand the obsessive stickers on DVD packaging in the States. Neither the R2 discs I get in the shops nor the Canadian R1 discs I get from play.com have the little magnetic tags or stickers over every single edge of the box. Is the country full of paranoid shopkeepers or is every other DVD fan a shoplifter?

12. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

13. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

14. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I collect action figures also and some of them are downright awful to take out of the package. Anyone try to take The Argonath book ends out the package in the LOTR gift set? I was going to until I noticed it was anchored with 1000 lb test straps. That and I have no place to put them anyway. [​IMG]

15. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

How about some of the food packaging? Like those foil covers over syrup, veggie oil and oher liquids that have no tab to pull it off with. You have to poke it with a knife and peel, getting junk on your hands and some of the foil ALWAYS falls in. Then there's cereal that cant be opened, baby formula that requires a vice grip, and boxes that say 'push in here' and nothing happens....

It is so obvious that none of the decision makers at these packaging depts actually USE their products. I would LOVE to go to their boardroom, hand out their packaged product and tell them they have 1 minute to open their product or they are FIRED.

Of course, that simulation would require me to bring in 3 or more crying children to complete the real world effect.

Ahh, to dream...

16. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

17. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

18. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

As a parent to two children I can completely relate to the stories of toys with enough packaging to withstand a hurricane+.
    On another note, did anybody have to put together a Hot Wheels "Turbo Jet City"? That thing must have had 100 stickers to put on....man, talk about annoying!

19. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

As another parent I can also relate to this story. I dont think that we have ever purchased or had a toy given to us that I didnt want to call the manufacture up and kick some butt. Talk about a pain in the ASS. Not only that but all the twisty wraps they use to pin the toys in are a chocking hazard to kids when you finally get them off. [​IMG]
    KyleS

20. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Actually, I have seen much worse than the 18" Movie Maniacs. The new Muppet sets are actually the worst offenders when it comes to number of twist ties.