What's new

Think Sears will price match this? (1 Viewer)

Carson E

Agent
The Sony KP61HS30 is hard to find anywhere better than 10% off. Do they match w/ OneCall.com? And if so, OneCall offers 10% off with no ship and no tax. So total price is around 2600.

So would Sears match the total or will Sears demand to add tax and delivery? Or will they figure price to match exactly. Hence; $2600.00 total ?

Thanks if anyone has done price match w/ Sears and might have advise. (my nearest Sears is 45 miles)

Matt L

Auditioning
I did a price match at Sears on an RCA 38310 a few weeks ago. Got a little runaround but ended up getting it for the price advertised regardless of shipping/taxes. Stopped by a few days later and the salesperson told me I go a heck of a deal since they were supposed to factor in shipping to the price match. So if you have to go any distance be prepared with a printout that shows shipping to your home. You might want to try several sites since the one that had the lowest price on the RCA $1999 also had the highest shipping $399. I was able to find another site that had the unit for $2020 with $199 shipping so look around and be prepared with documentation. The Sears I was at had NO internet access, I had to go home to get a printout to bring into the store.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Many (not all) Best Buy locations have been selling the HS20 version for 10% off, and many weeks there is free shipping and/or free recliners.

Plus, with the HS20 there is no "glare" screen to remove.

Roy H

Stunt Coordinator
Be warned about OneCall, This is one of the many horror stories I came across when searching Toshiba problems. You may want to read the fine print of OneCalls policy on returns!!!!!!!!!

Read This:

Reviewed by:*Elliot,*Audio Enthusiast,*from*Annapolis

Price Paid:*$2000 at OneCall

Product Model Year:

Summary:

This is a followup to an earlier posting about my misadventures buying the Toshiba 40H80.

Before I begin, however, I feel I should respond to Joe from New Hampshire who raises what I think is a fair question: Why should I be putting in unsatisfactory ratings when the picture quality of the set may be good if not excellent? In fact one of the things that attracted me to this set was the picture quality in the store. But my experience, I think, shows that if quality control is poor, service is bad to non-existent and the dealer is "integrity challenged" , the importance of picture quality dims considerably.

In fact, one of the e-mails I received in response to my last posting was from a person in Texas with a Toshiba that the authorized service representative has repeatedly been unable to fix. If you are measuring things like "quality" and "value", Toshiba should be held accountable for such lapses.

In my case Serv-A-Tronics finally came to the house and, to their credit, quickly diagnosed the problem: the mirror in the set was broken. After several calls to OneCall, it appeared my problems were solved. Toshiba was going to pick up the damaged set and deliver a new one.

And good as their word, a week later a truck rolled up with a new set. I helped the driver trundle out the bad set, we lugged in the new set and before signing anything I opened the box, plugged in the power, attached the cable, flipped the on switch and........nothing. No picture, no sound. Nada.

I called OneCall and they assured me there was no problem. The set, which had been in a cold truck lo these many days needed to warm up. In fact, the guy at OneCall regaled me with a story about his set which had not worked when it first arrived. But after he had let it sit unplugged for 24 hours, it powered up in glorious color, an inspiration to us all.

(The service technician, who later came out to look at my set, said the OneCall story was to put it nicely "factually challenged.")

So I accepted the set, unplugged it, turned up the thermostat and waited. No joy.

Knowing the drill, I next called the authorized service representative to look at the set. However, Serv-A-Tronics flatly refused to come out again because they said Toshiba would not pay for the call. With the technician on one line, I called Toshiba on another line , conferenced the two together and got corporate to assure the technician that, yes, indeed they would pay. (Having the customer negotiate agreements between different divisions of Toshiba is apparently one of the more novel features of what the company calls customer service.)

The technician who finally came out diagnosed the problem as a bad power supply and wanted to haul the set back to the shop for repairs. I declined because I thought that $2,000 entitled me to a set delivered in working order, not a work in progress.

This apparently violated service technician etiquette because he then berated me for accepting a set that was not in working order. Later Serv-A-Tronics told me they would never come to my house again because I would not let them repair the set. It was around then that I asked myself, "Why am I doing business with these bozos."

I called OneCall and said I want my money back and they could have their broken TV. I was quickly switched to a supervisor who hinted he would give me a price break for my troubles, told me how OneCall had enormous clout with Toshiba and said his mission was to make me a "happy camper." He just needed a little time to put together a plan.

LIke Charley Brown taking yet another run at the football, I agreed to wait a day. He promised me he would call me by noon. Noon came. Noon went. No call. In fact, I never heard from him again.

Another call to OneCall. This time they said it was in Toshiba's hands and they would call me. After about a week of waiting, I called OneCall who gave me the number of someone at Toshiba who told me she was waiting for an e-mail from corporate. When that arrived, she would haul the set away.

More time passed. I called Visa to dispute the charge on my bill. I called my lawyer about what legal steps I had to take if I need to file a suit. I called OneCall and they said Toshiba would be by to pick up my set and once that happened they would refund me my money.

Approximately a month and a half after I originally called OneCall to buy a TV, a truck showed up and dragged off the box that had been sitting in my hallway , an ignominious end to my HDTV misadventure.

A couple of thoughts. Someone might argue that I got a couple of bad TVs, in the end the e-tailer and Toshiba did the right thing and took them back, end of story. But if you are reading this and you are from Toshiba or one of their retailers, I think there are some lessons to be learned.

1. Be Honest With Your Customer - It makes a customer very nervous when they give a lot of money to someone who they only know over the phone and then are told a series of whoppers. Sure I got my money back but I will never do business with OneCall again because so much of what they told me was just not true.

2. Take Ownership of the Problem - When I would call OneCall I would talk to "Jason". One day Jason said I didn't need to ask for him, anyone in the office would do. That told me that no one at OneCall "owned" the problem.

3. Stand Behind What you Sell - There should never have been a discussion about getting the TV set repaired. The customer expects and deserves a product to arrive in working order. When that doesn't happen, the first thing out of the salesman's mouth should be an apology and the second should be "We will replace it."

4. Service Means What It Says - I shouldn't have to negotiate with service technicians or go through a list of repairmen until I find one who knows something about the product he is supposed to repair.

5. Be Proactive - At every step I was the one calling OneCall and Toshiba, asking questions and demanding answers. What a difference it would have made if someone called me and said they were going to correct the problem, it would be done in the following manner and here is how long it would take.

6. Be Prompt - The whole sorry experience dragged on for well over a month. Even allowing for shipping, this took far longer to resolve than anyone would resonably expect. The longer I waited, the angrier I became.

In honor of the foregoing, I award Toshiba another set of one stars.

A postscript....When I knew Toshiba was going to take back their TV, I went to a local store and ordered a Mitsubishi 46 inch HDTV set. It arrived on the day I requested. The driver and his helper set it up. It worked out of the box. I found that the geometry was off and when I called the repairman he was not only knowledgeable about the set but was ISF certified. He was also courteous and immediately arranged to come out at Mitsubihi's expense to service the set.

The set cost me $300 more than I would have paid had I bought the same set on the Internet. I figure I got a very good deal.

Strengths:

I was able to send it back

Weaknesses:

I'm so glad you asked.....

Good luck, BUYER BEWARE

Roy.

Carson E

Agent
Thanks guys.
Matt... I will carry a printout. Thanks
and glad you got your deal.
Michael... I was wondering the diff b/t 20 & 30 other than the 'glare screen' If that is the only difference that might be the deal to look for. Thanks.
Roy... What a horror story. Whew. I wasnt going to buy from OneCall. Was just wondering if Sears might price match them.
Thanks everyone.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Michael... I was wondering the diff b/t 20 & 30 other than the 'glare screen' If that is the only difference that might be the deal to look for. Thanks.
The only other difference is that the HS30 has a few more watts of power to the speakers. Since I use my receiver and 5.1 setup, who cares.
I have the 53HS20 and think it is fantastic. Make sure and use 'pro' or 'movie' mode when watching NTSC and turn sharpness all the way to zero.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Roy. OneCall rarely has anything you can't get cheaper, with better customer service, a better return policy, and cheaper shipping. J&R Music has consistently gotten my business after checking with OneCall. Apparently OneCall is also into a funny game of "group buys". If you register at hometheaterspot you are supposed to be eligible for "great deals" at OneCall, if you talk to Jason. I spoke to him and was not impressed.

J&R will usually beat any price from an authorized dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks