Think I can run these speakers full range, as in "large"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JerryW, Dec 30, 2001.

1. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I've been offered an incredible deal on a set of Infinity IL60's, I love the way these sound... but I'm curious, do you think I'd be able to run them as "large"? BTW, my receiver has a fixed crossover at 80Hz, so there's no adjustment choices for me. I'm going to be getting an Outlaw 950, so I'm SOL there too.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't want to get the IL60's unless I can run them "large", mainly because I'd be buying them used and woudn't be able to return them... of course, at 75lbs each, shipping them back to a vendor wouldn't be very cost efficient anyway.
    So, what are your thoughts? Think these would have enough range to make them worthwhile?
    EDIT:
    I forgot to mention that I have a HUGE sub that will be doing LFE duties (EBS alignment Shiva, in fact I'll be posting my review of it soon when I get my readings all done).
    So, I guess I'm wondering if there'll be too much of a "hole" between 20-28Hz? Since the IL60's are only rated to go to 28Hz...

2. WilliamM

WilliamM Stunt Coordinator

No problem! The LFE should sound very nice with these speakers[​IMG]

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Actually, I forgot to mention that I have a HUGE sub that will be doing LFE duties (EBS alignment Shiva, in fact I'll be posting my review of it soon when I get my readings all done).

So, I guess I'm wondering if there'll be too much of a "hole" between 20-28Hz? Since the IL60's are only rated to go to 28Hz... Sorry, I was a bit vague in my previous post.

4. WilliamM

WilliamM Stunt Coordinator

If your X-over point is fixed at 80Hz with your receiver I am guessing that it has a slope of 12dB per octave, there should not be a hole.

The speakers are rated to 28Hz-22,000Hz witin 3dB. On the contrary your freqency response should have a bump in the 40Hz range borrowing room anamolies.

5. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

Since you already have a capable sub, you should just run them as small. A subwoofer will handle low bass and LFE better than most full range tower speakers.

6. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I guess though, that if I run the IL60's as "small" then what's the point of getting a set of speakers like that? I already have a pair of IL10's (actually I have them for mains and surrounds), and for all upper range stuff (>60Hz) the IL10's and IL60's sound almost identical.

I was just wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade to these floorstanders... in many ways it would be great if I could get some "full range" speakers and open up my soundstage a bit. But if I'd still have to run the IL60's as "small" then there wouldn't be any reason to attempt it.

7. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

It would be different if you didn't have a sub, then it would make sense to run the IL60 as large to take advantage of the internal subs. There already dozens of threads about why the small setting is optimal, just search the forum.

8. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Jerry,

What you need to grasp is that crossovers are not brick walls, even with the new IL60 speakers as small they will still be outputting sound below the receiver's crossover frequency of 80Hz. The IL60s will be putting out more sound below this 80Hz than your older IL10s.

With a typical receiver's crossover at 80Hz, the sound output can be down between 12dB-24dB at 40Hz (maybe less with help from room-mode boost) and this means you may still get significant output at 60Hz from the IL60s (set as small), even though this is below the receiver's 80Hz crossover.

The best way to find out is to test it at both settings (small and large), but you should recalibrate for each setting.

BruceD

9. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Jerry,
    How much stereo music do you listen to?
    The 80Hz crossover is primarily intended for home theater surround sound use, although a lot of people do use it when listening to music. Most receivers also include a "stereo direct" mode. Organ music aside, very little music includes sounds below 28Hz -- and that's their 3dB point: they'll still produce a lot of volume below that frequency. 12" subwoofers with 500Watt amps are quite respectable, as such things go. [​IMG]
    You really should find a place where you can audition the speakers. The dollar cost is only part of the investment you'll be making. You may also find that their timbre doesn't match your other speakers very well, forcing you to upgrade them, too.

10. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I know the timbre matching would be fine, as all the Interlude series are matched to each other. One thing that I didn't consider was the stereo direct mode, that would make the IL60's a great consideration.

Or, I could get a good external crossover... Hmmm... Much to think about.

11. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

You need to get the IL40's which are the same except for the built in subs. This would make a lot more sense. YOu might also wish to consider a second matching outboard sub.

When the sub is integrated into the speaker as with the IL60, your flexibiity in sub placement is limited. It is much better to use outboard subs that can be placed where you want them. Two covers a room better than one. If the sub signals seem to cancel each other out, run the subs at different phases.

Best regards-Henry