Think flatscreen tvs will drop in price ? need help thinking.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason-Pro, May 24, 2002.

1. Jason-Pro

Jason-Pro Stunt Coordinator

im looking to get a new tv for my bedroom home theater. id like to get a 27" flatscreen. i only wana spend like $200-$350 tho. and most 27" flatscreens run like $400-$500.
    think they will be dropping in price soon? or should i blow the extra 100 bucks to get one now?

2. Jesse Clift

Jesse Clift Agent

Like virtually all consumer electronics, the price of 27" flat-screen tv's will go down. I would think that you might have to wait a couple of years for a $100 price drop. But, by that time you might be able to get a hi-def monitor for the price of a 27" flat-screen today. I think it really comes down to how badly you want it now. If you wait long enough something cheaper and better will always come along. I have also been looking at 27" flat-screens for my dorm room and have opted to wait until I can afford a hi-def monitor.

-Jesse

3. Jason-Pro

oh well im on just a tiny 19" monitor now kinda sucks for watching DVDs and it dont have outputs or inputs so i gotta do everything through my vcr.

ill probably endup getting one. dont know thought maybe theyd be dropin in price sometimes soon now that more plasmas lcds etc. are droping.

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Jason

"i'm on a tiny 19 inch monitor now"

Man, you need some size! Flat screen is an enhancement, but no substitute for size.

In case you have not already noticed, if you put a 27 inch flat screen next to a 32 inch regular screen the size difference will be huge and the flat screen difference nice but not huge.

Right now, you can get a 25 inch for $180 and up. 27 inch, $230 and up. 32 inch $350 and up, and 36 inch for $550 and up.

If I were you, I would save up till you can afford a a 32 or 36 inch regular tube. Without a flat screen next to it you won't be conscious of the curvature unless you are fixated on it.

$350-$400 for 32 is excellent value.

Remember, big screen = big difference.

Artie

5. Jason-Pro

ok. ill look around at normal tvs then ive only been looking at flatscreens my uncles got a 36" sony flatscreen its nice but expensive.

this TV is just for my bedroom at the momment not moving out till after summer or next summer then the tv will be for the house/apt livingroom/HT.

my computer monitor is bigger then my TV ive got a 21" lol.

6. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Hey, why don't you use your computer monitor as a TV then? Granted you won't be able to watch shows without a separate card, but i can tell you the quality will be better than a 19" TV, and it will probably also do the squeeze!
    Use it to tide you over until you get a nice budget for a 36".
    You'll also be able to do all sorts of nice stuff (scaling, upconversion, etc) for optimal DVD watching!