What's new

Things You’ve Seen in Movies or TV But will Never See in Life (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
In Superman Lois Lane sure had a nice pad on a reporter's salary. :)

Re: Tropes - generally speaking anything that involves firearms is often fodder for unrealistic treatment.

My favorite example of this involves contrasting two television shows - On The F.B.I with Efrem Zimbalist Jr. his character would take down bad guys usually with a single shot from a service revolver (usually disabling them with a wound to the thigh but never killing them). On The A-Team literally hundreds of rounds would be fired without anyone getting so much as a scratch.

I realize that there are reasons why these difference exist which is related to the styles of the show, but it never fails to amuse me to contrast those two shows and their depictions of firearm usage.

- Walter.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
People ordering a meal or sitting down to a meal and then not eating it. Sometimes they're called away before they can eat it, but most of the time, they finish their expository conversation and then get up, leaving a full plate on the table. I see this in movies and TV episodes (usually westerns) all the time and it drives me nuts. "Eat your food!" I yell at the screen. Unfortunately, I never make notes of these scenes when I see them, so I can't give examples, even though I've seen this tons of times. I think there's a scene like that in TRUE GRIT (1969) where Glen Campbell joins all the boarders at the table, gets a plate of food, but doesn't eat.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sharks that roar, or make vocalizations of any kind. Most every horror film involving sharks has them roaring and growling constantly.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Easily hackable computers/passwords.

If you know anything about cracking passwords in practice, you'll know it is very time consuming and tedious to do for well designed encryption systems.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Characters always seem to be able to find a parking space right in front of their destination.

Another thing is characters arriving by car and stopping way short of the people they're meeting, just so there can be a dramatic, heart-warming shot of the characters running toward each other to embrace or whatever.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Nobody ever locks their cars after getting out of them. Today to be fair there's keyless entry/exit and those cars can auto-lock once the key fob is out of range, but this problem has always existed even in the days when a key had to be manually inserted into the lock to unlock a car door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks