Things to do to a bigscreen CRT to make it more "theater-like"

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Matt*B, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I am getting a 65 inch HD CRT soon. I am adding it to my theater in the basement -- i would like to do more than just have it sit there -- so I was wondering....

What are some ideas or things you guys have done with walls, curtains, boards, etc to alter the appearance of your bigscreen? You know, put it behind a wall, put curtains around it -- anything.....

Just curious, and pics would be great!

Thanks,

Matt

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Matt:

Take a look at our Galleries section for lots of pictures of members HTs and how they have set up their equipment in their rooms.

Parker

3. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

A false wall with black fabric will do the trick.

Check my sig old r-theater pics.
    I use to have a RPTV behind a 2x4 wall with black fabric + curtains surrounding it. My friends and family thought I purchase big plasma set until I showed them what I did.

4. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

If you don't want to construct something permanent (ala a false fall), here's an interesting product to "dress up" your CRT:

LIVEFRAME

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    "Liveframe" can also be done with $20 in foam-core cardboard and some cutting. Search the TV section for "matte" to learn more. It has great impact on smaller TVs. I don't know how much it help with larger images.

6. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

I can not believe that anyone would buy that LIVEFRAME system when the same can be done for, as Dave mentioned, about $20. $229 vs $20... hmmmm.... decisions, decisions... Its a black border around your TV, not a fully engineered, technically designed and manufactured television enhancement device.

7. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Geez...no need to shoot the messenger! [​IMG]

I saw that item posted recently on another forum and thought I'd throw it out there. Lighten up...

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Do the calibrations with Video Essentials, AVIA etc. Most RPTV's that I have seen have their sharpness level turned up too high which completely detroys the filmlike apperance of the material.

9. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

Not a shot at you Chip, just kind of funny what some people will spend money on if they don't know any better.

I suppose there will always be people who would rather spend whatever it takes to get something right now with no effort. Then there will always be people who will take some time and some effort to save some big money. I had a friend come over and check out my set up and actually ask me how much he would have to spend to get something better than mine. I set up the computer that I already had to be a high end video scaler/post-processor, and do some mass media storage, all for very very little out-of-pocket expense. I'm not an expert in the computer field by any means, and it took alot of learning, but I have the pride of having done it my self, as well as a kick-ass system. Now my friend is likely going to spend close to a grand on a high-end progressive scan dvd player, and likely the same or more on an outboard video processor. After he does, he still won't have press-of-a-button access to anything in his collection, or anything else that an HTPC has to offer. And he likely won't come close to the picture quality I'm getting.

But he's the type of guy who'll buy all the gadgets people tell him will give him a better picture, and not put any real effort into learning what it takes to get a great picture, and how to accomplish it. He would buy the LIVEFRAME. I would buy some foam or pressboard and some fabric. But that's me.

Again, not a flame towards you Chip, just trying to save whoever might come across this post some of their cash before they rush out and buy an expensive framing system.

10. JayPo

JayPo Stunt Coordinator

Hi Matt,

I did the same thing as BrianKR. Everytime somebody new comes over they ask if it's a plasma until I show them behind the wall. The black fabric was cheap from JoAnn's.

Here's the link to the Theater.

And here's the link to some pics of us putting up the wall.

11. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

JayPo,

Hey man -- I like your false wall. That's exactly what my Wife and I had in mind. Also, where did you get that "TV, Theatre & Rest Room." Sign.... Oh yea, one more thing. Does the front of the wall open, or swing out or anything? Or do you only access everything from behind?

Thanks,

Matt

12. JayPo

JayPo Stunt Coordinator

Hey Matt,

In this set of pics, it shows me spraying and putting fabric over the section of wall that covers the TV. It's just a little bigger than the TV itself. You pull the TV back a little bit and unscrew a few "L" brackets to remove that piece and the TV can come right out the front. I wanted to make sure that we could get to it easily in case anything happened to it or I ever stepped up and got it calibrated.

I got the sign from ebay. Use to be in a motel or something and they were remodeling ... I like it a lot.

13. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Jaypo...

Thanks... So, as opposed to just setting the whole tv behind the wall and having it that way -- you made the finishing molding/frame (also with some fabric) to go in front of the TV...correct? That's what I planned on doing. Also is the molding/frame on front of the tv perfectly flush with the wall? So, anywhere on that wall, where there's fabric, it's simply a frame with fabric stretched over it -- right? That is, there's no backing to it?

Thanks,

Matt

14. JayPo

JayPo Stunt Coordinator

Matt,

Correct, no backing on the fabric frame - however, anywhere that I didn't have a speaker or tv or component, I stapled batting material to the surface AND THEN attached the frame with speaker fabric. Hopefully to cut down on reflections.

15. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

You have to do mattes. Then are by far the best thing to do after only calibrating. [​IMG] Of course you really don't need them unless you are in a dark room. But if you are, it makes one hell of a difference. Total darkness, and mattes are the two most important things that will get you the "threatre like" look you desire.