Things to do in Virginia....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Lance Nichols, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Ok, it looks like I will be down in Fairfax, Virginia for up to 4 months (out every other weekend) and was wondering what there is to do.

Already planned on seeing the US Capital buildings, the Whitehouse, Arlington, Smithsonian Air & Space...

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

The new Spy Museum (www.spymuseum.org) in DC is pretty cool. The Holocaust Memorial Museum is a good experience to have (but makes for a somber day). Be sure to check out all the other memorials too. Also the National Archives is cool, but it was under renovation last time I was up there. It houses the Constitution and other important historical documents.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Old Town Alexandria is a must if you're with a girl, or if you just want a real nice dinner (Reston Town Center may be closer though). Don't forget the newest WWII memorial. Also see if a band you like is playing anywhere in the area while you're here. There always seems to be someone I like playing at either Nissan Pavilian, 9:30 Club, or Constitution Hall. Watching a hometown game at the ESPN Zone with a bunch of people is always fun, even if you're from Toronto. [​IMG]

Air & Space is still my favorite place to go after all these years. Though I saw this kick ass 3D Imax-type movie at the Museum of Natural History.

4. Lance Nichols

Seth, the spy museum sounds cool, and I had planned on taking in the various memorials, including the WWII, Veitnam, and Arlington Cemetary.

Hell, I think even the Cubs are doing better then the Jays this year, so maybe checking out the local team might be a good thing.

Anyone know of good camera shops to go to? I am thinking of bringing down my newly aquired Bronica ETRS, but (unless I win an EBAY auction or two) will be needing a lens (or two). May also want to get film delevoped while down there.

5. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Be sure to check out Mt. Vernon. It's a beautiful place and the sense of history is very palpable.

6. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

Five Guys Burgers!

7. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Five Guys Burgers is a good suggestion. One of the best greasy burgers around.

I also think you should try to get to Mount Vernon. I grew up in the DC area and only went for the first time about three years ago. You could have a nice day at Mount Vernon and then plan for dinner in nearby Old Town Alexandria and explore the night life and shops.

Keep in mind that all of the Smithsonian Museums and National Monuments are free while Mount Vernon, The Spy Museum and other sites charge for admission.

You should also add the National Cathedral to your list.

Just the Smithsonian Museums could take up all of your time, so make a plan.

8. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    At minimum visit the Air & Space, Natural History, & American History museums. Also, there is the brand new Udvar-Hazy air museum (part of the Smithsonian) which is located near Dulles airport. Some of the major exhibits include a Space Shuttle, a SR-71 Blackbird, & the Enola Gay (B-29 Superfortress).

9. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

Ditto visiting Mt. Vernon. I live about a mile from the circle, and we go several times a year. You can kill two birds with one stone too, and go to Five Guys afterwards. There is one on Rt.1 in Hybla Valley, just a few miles away.

You won't be too far from Luray Caverns, either. The National Zoo is nearby, as is Georgetown. You can see the "Exorcist Steps" and have dinner at Clydes.

If you go to Old Town, go to the waterfront by the Torpedo Factory. There are boat rides there that will take you to DC. You can ride one to Georgetown, get off and spend the day, then ride another one back. It's a great day.

10. Lance Nichols

Hey, thanks guys. Will have to check out the greasy burger joint... although after having lost 66 pounds since Feb, I don't know how much time I should spend there.

Was planning on checking out the new Air wing of the Smithsonian as well. I just HAVE to have pictures of the Enterprise...

Don't know much about Mt. Vernon. Having grown up in Alberta, and the Rockies, much of what easterners call mountins, I would call, at best a foot hill.

That being said, I will be down for a while, it would seem, So here is hoping!

11. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
  12. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Lance, Mount Vernon is not a mountain--it is the historic home of George Washington.

If you are at all interested in US History or US Colonial living, it is worth visiting.

See link in Post #7.

Edit:
    Here is a link to Five Guys: http://www.fiveguys.com/

It seems they are expanding the business--I they haven't changed.

13. Lance Nichols

whoops, now I feel silly...

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Personally I'd say save your money and avoid the unbelievably expensive tourist trap "Inn at Little Washington". But some people love it, it's consistently rated one of the best restaurants in the country. One of the most pretentious as well IMO.

Other fine restaurants to try in the area:
    "The Hermitage" in Clifton VA
    "Ashby Inn" in Paris, VA
    "Colvin Run Tavern" at Tyson's Corner, VA.

Take a weekend day and visit Manassas National Battlefield Park.

15. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Yes, Five Guys is expanding. But from all reports, the new ones just aren't as good for some reason. However, the original Virginia locations, of which the Hybla Valley outlet is one, are still golden.

There is a ton of stuff to do around here. We haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg.

On the order of 5 guys is Ben's Chili Bowl in DC, another food landmark.

Most of the museums have been mentioned.

Just walking around the neighborhoods gives you a great feel for the area. In the same vein as Old Town Alexandria, you have Georgetown, Dupont Circle, and Adams Morgan in the city. Shops, restaurants, clubs, etc.

(oh, and speaking of nightlife, Adams Morgan serves up one of DC's few food peculiarities -- the half smoke at Ben's from above being one -- the pizza slice as big as your head!! Picture a normal large pizza in wedge shape, served to you on two paper plates for $3.00. Craziness.)

16. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

If you are into history (esp. Civil War era) take a day to visit my hometown of Fredericksburg. Lots of battlefields, and numerous antique shops downtown. We go back every now and then just to walk around the shops downtown. There are also Colonial Era things to see (Kenmore, James Monroe's apothecary shop, etc.) Carl's Ice Cream is a must stop in the summertime.

Not to mention Paramount's Kings Dominion is a few hours away, with Busch Garden's in Williamsburg, and I think there is a Six Flags in Maryland, if you are into theme parks.

Chris