Things to do in San Antonio ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kirk Gunn, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Heading there for New Years and staying at the Marriott Riverfront. Wanted to go somewhere warm for a 4 day vacation and I've never been to TX, except connecting through DFW. Suggestions that will entertain my 8 yr old daughter are appreciated !

Thanks !

PS - I love Mexican food and tequila !

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kirk, remember the Alamo. [​IMG]

3. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

4. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

Ask your hotel about a walking tour of the holiday lighting which will still be up around the Riverwalk. Don't be afraid to take the trolley around downtown, it is fast, cheap, and takes you past all the traps, the Alamo included. Again, your hotel should have all the price info. Near the Brackenridge Zoo, there is a kiddie amusement park(on Broadway street), but I am not sure if they operate during the winter. By the way, the SA Zoo is a nice place if your child likes animals. go early, it is a big place, with a petting zoo.
    If you are in the market to check out Home Theater, attempt the trip to Bjorn's Stereo Designs. It is far away from downtown, but is on a major highway (US 281 North) and can be reached by automobile in about 20 minutes. Bjorn's (pronounced BE-Yorns) is THE place to go if you want to see the latest in custom home theater.
    Hope you have a good stay in SA.

5. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Thanks folks ! Great image Evelio. Can't wait to get down there !

6. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

If you ride a boat at the river walk, take an umbrella. Those pigeons can be brutal!!

Bill

7. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

Well, the 8 year old will most certainly want to visit "Fiesta Texas" (a Six-Flags amusment park...with a BUNCH of rides) and Sea-World....if they're open.
    Between San Antonio and Ausin (about 30 minutes on the highway) there is "Natural Bridge Caverns". They have guided tours, that last about an hour....My 12 year old and 8 year old daughters found it fascinating going through all the caves and seeing the formations (they have them lit)

8. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

9. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Thanks again !

As for accomodations, any preference between the Marriott RiverCenter and the Marriott Plaza ?

10. GeorgeTW

The Marriot Plaza is a dive, compared to the RiverCenter. The Marriot River Center is basically the showpiece hotel of the RiverWalk. It's connected to the RiverCenter Mall, and closer to everything than the Plaze,
    The Marriot Plaza is a much older property down the street, not close to anything.

11. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Welcome to TX Kirk [​IMG]
    Of course, id recommend the St. Anthony Hotel (cuz i used to work there [​IMG]), but the new (newest) Marriot Riverwalk is a great place and connnected to the mall.
    Dont forget to check out the IMAX theater there [​IMG] if you never have.
    Woohoo! Tons of Tex-Mex food there. Make sure you eat at the Rio Rio Cantina!
    Riverboat ride is a must, the Alamo of course, Fiesta Texas (if the weather permits), Horse Carraige ride (forgot if theyre still doing this), Bjorns A&V, etc.
    Doh! How could i forget the San Antonio Zoo [​IMG]
    Home to the largest snake in captivity:
    Marci, the 25-foot reticulated python [​IMG]

12. GeorgeTW

Carriage is still done.

IMAX is in 3D now, and is located in the RiverCenter Mall, by the way.

13. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Sounds great ! We'll be there for New Years Eve, what kind of temps can we expect ? I'm sure it'll be warmer than the 20 degrees we are having in Maryland tonight [​IMG]

14. JoshEE

JoshEE Agent

Not much to add, but definently check out the Zoo, I've lived here my whole life and it's still fun everytime I go. My younger cousins love it (your daughters age). It'll probably be in the 40's - 60's (it has been the last week or so) so bring your tank top [​IMG] . Hope you have a great stay here!
    -Josh
    Henry, are you on the satx4x4 list?

15. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

To repeat what a lot have written:

You can never too much TexMex and San Antonio is the heart and soul of TexMex. It’s my theory that the closer you are to San Antonio, the better the TexMex. And I live in Dallas (still very, very good food).

16. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I love San Antonio. It's one of the top-five US cities in my estimation (SF, NY, New Orleans, Boston, and San Antone). [​IMG]
    In addition to the Riverwalk, be sure to tour La Vallita and El Mercado (aka Market Square?). There are two good Mexican restaurants at el mercado, one great for dinner and the other fantastic for breakfast (big Mexican bakery selection and huge bowlfulls of menudo for that post-Friday night hangover). Also, check out the Guenther House restaurant for brunch - like the Guenthers, it's a marriage of Mexican and German cuisine! Mmmm... breakfast tacos and streudel...
    And for cheap (daresay "fast food") meals? There's only one choice: TACO CABANA!! There's a location on Alamo Square, and it remains the only (ahem) "fast-food" Mexican restaurant worth your appetite.

17. Rebekka Mikale

Rebekka Mikale Auditioning

You are going to love San Antonio! In my opinion, it is the greatest city in the country. Since you only have 4 days, these are the things that I'd recommend you do: upon arrival, check out the amazing Rivercenter Mall, especially the indoor/outdoor food court. It's a must see.. It is just beautiful.. and very colorful. More than likely, you will be able to enjoy an outdoor concert while there. While at the mall, see the movie THE PRICE OF FREEDOM at the IMAX. It is a 45 minute (or so) movie detailing the events of the battle at the Alamo. It is truly a must-see prior to walking over to the Alamo. Plus, it has an attached gift shop with wonderful Alamo and SA souveniors(SP..how do ya spell that word anyway..hehe). Check around for tourist guides at the hotel or touristy shops. You will usually find 2-for-1 or $$ off the movie ticket prices. After viewing the movie, take the 1 block walk over to the Alamo. If you see The Price of Freedom first, the impact of seeing the Alamo will knock your socks off. It will be a moment you will not forget ever. Sometime within the 1st day or two, buy a riverwalk boat ticket for a tour of the downtown area. Again, this is a must-do activity. The downtown is beautiful, and in my opinion, the nicest in the country. But because you are visiting in the winter time, the foliage on the riverwalk will not be as lush, but you will get get a great idea of how pretty it is in full bloom. I definitly agree with the others who posted that you MUST try Taco Cabana which is a 24-hour pink painted Mexican food joint. Their ultra-good, fresh, Mexican fare is tasty with fresh-made tortillas and a salsa bar with many wonderful fresh-made varieties to choose from. soooo good. and very very cheap. And try their margaritas. Also cheap but refreshing on a warm Texas day. You will not find a fast food Mexican food chain like this up in Maryland. If you get a rental car, you need to check out Northstar Mall which is right next to Bjorn's on 410 and 281. In front of it, they have a pair of 3-story high cowboy boots adorned with brightly lit star-shape Christmas lights. The ultimate Texas lawn art. After dark is the best time for viewing. Also, I highly recommend that you also see Mission San Jose (as well as the other missions if you go on a tour of them). What a sight. You will be stepping back in time 300 years. The Mariachi mass on Sunday at noon at Mission San Jose is so uplifting, and will be the highlight of the trip. Guaranteed. You will find people from all over the world there (mainly tourists) that are welcomed by the pastor at the beginning of the service. It is quite a production. And the Mariachi music, is so cool. I'm not sure how else to describe it other than you hafta hear some played live, either there, or live in one of the local Mexican restaurants (like La Margarita restaurant which is downtown). Ok.. other than that, a walking tour of La Vallita is recommended, as well as the Tower of Americas, the zoo, or a SPURS basketball game in their brand new arena. (GO SPURS!!! sorry. I love them.) Fiesta Texas (Great America) is open for New Year's Eve if you decide to go. Wear winter clothes. It can get bitter cold at night. And before you leave, ya'll need to have breakfast tacos one morning. That's all anybody eats for breakfast in these parts.

That's all I can think of for now :)

18. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Dangy Rebekka,
    You make me wanna go, and i live here! LOL

Anyway, Bjorns isnt exactly next door to the mall anymore.

Its up 281 a little ways, not much tho. Theyve got a great new facility now.

19. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I am psyched !!!! Great recommendation for the movie, will definitely check it out. Thanks again !

20. Shea

Shea Stunt Coordinator

I do love San Antonio.. But the Mexican food isn't great, at least what I've had. Doesn't compare to San Angelo [​IMG] And uh, Taco Cabana is gross. A poor man's Rosa's Cafe(a chain in West Texas). Gotta say, the downtown area is just great. If Fiesta Texas is open, it's a nice park. Superman: Krypton Coaster is world class. And, uh, don't watch the evil Spurs, who drove out the Iggies hockey team.(DOWN WITH BASKETBALL!)