What's new

things to do in houston when you're..... (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
there for work. :)

so it looks like i might have to go to houston for a couple of weeks for my job - probably near the end of this month.

that may (not sure yet) include staying there over the weekend.

so, can anyone recommend some cool things to do there? either nightly or for a weekend furlough?

thx!

ted

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
The best thing you can do in Houston is...... Leave!

If you get time, drive to Austin for the weekend. It's a lot more fun that Houston. It's a 2-1/2 to 3 hour drive, depending on where you are in Houston.

If you want some real local color, drive to Brenham and take the Blue Bell Ice Creamery tour. You even get free ice cream at the end! For added local color, drive about 20 minutes outside of Brenham to Greenvine. Go to The Green Door. It's an old country store/bar. Tell my Uncle Jerry that Leo sent you, and be sure to buy a t-shirt.

In Houston, it takes 1/2 hour to get everywhere. Really. I have scientifically proved it.

Johnson Space Center used to be a neat tour, but since 9/11/01 they've cut back a bit. Plus, the place was looking a little run down the last time I was there a couple of years ago, compared to when they first opened the new Disney-fied tour.

The Houston Natural Science Museum is neat, and they have a cool butterfly habitat.

Galveston is only an hour away, and they have a museum thingy there.

Houston has a few nice art galleries clustered together - the Museum of Fine Arts and the Contemporary Art Museum.

Check out the Byzantine Chapel and the rest of the Menil collection.

There's always the art car museum.

For an great grocery shopping experience, check out the HEB Central Market on Westheimer.

There's an old WW I dreadnought-style battleship - the Texas - about 1/2 hour from Downtown.

There's a little town near Clear Lake (NASA) called Kemah that has a little boardwalk-type thingy.

I'm sure others will have some ideas too.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
There is always Minute Maid park to see the `Stros play. They have interleague play the last weekend of the month against the Texas Rangers. The ball park is awesome!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx guys. great list leo - thanks for taking the time. i'll be sure to check out those links.

Leroy

Second Unit
The Richmond strip has several differnt clubs to choose from (dance, 80's retro, latin etc.) City streets is fun as it combines several types (country, dance, retro, karaoke) along with a great happy hour buffet!

The Theater District, aside from the theater, has several fine restaraunts, clubs and a new Aquarium/Entertainment compex and is close to the Ballpark.

Museum District: Natural Science, Fine Arts, Children's and Holocaust museums. The Houston Zoo is also located here.

Galveson has the beach, Strand Historical Distirct, Railroad Musem, Moody Gardens (3 huge glass pyramids that house a rainforest habitat, aquarium and science displays along with a 3d Imax)and Aviation Museum.

Clear Lake/Kemah area have watersports aplenty, The Kemah Boardwalk has several restaruants, hotel, carnival midway/rides and is a fun place to spend an evening.

Fantastic dining all over the city, featuring every type of food imaginable.

And, of course, you can't go 10' without hitting a gentleman's club:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks