Things To Do In Baltimore...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Andrew_Sch, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Now this thread may seem a little odd coming from me, but allow me to explain. This is the first day of summer vacation and already I am bored nearly to tears (yes, I admit it, I've reached the point in my life where I actually prefer school to summer vacation...frightening, anyway). I live in Perry Hall, a suburb of Baltimore, and my friends and I have done just about everything there is to do in PH to death over the last few years, so if anybody could offer up some suggestions for fun, relatively affordable things for teenagers to do in Baltimore, Baltimore County, and surrounding areas, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    The aquarium is really cool down there! I haven't been there in years but I remember the shark tubes and just having a fun time. I guess there's also Camden Yards right for the baseball fans, Orioles, etc.

Jay

3. David-S

David-S Second Unit

get a job? [​IMG]

I'll assume you can drive? You could drive down to DC for a day or two, see the museums, monuments... umm, i dunno, i'm always bored too, my friends just used to take a lot of roadtrips... [​IMG]

4. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

I'd go visit where they filmed the Wire!!!

5. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Either drive or hop on the train and go to DC, lots of stuff to do and see down here.

6. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Go up to Susquehanna state park in Harford County and visit a real working Gristmill that grinds corn. They are open on weekends during the summer. You can get a sample and tour the entire mill. Plus, there are other things to do in the park.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

*Commercial Sign in 3...2...1*

Why visit Otakon, the biggest anime convention on the East Coast right in your backyard August 8-10! Enjoy the US debut of TM Revolution, one of Japan's biggest musical stars! Mystery Anime Theater! 35mm anime and Asian live action films! 7 video rooms and a dealer's room large enough to launch a jet aircraft! http://www.otakon.com

*Ahem* [​IMG]

8. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

LOL...Jeff that was great!

How about Annapolis, the Eastern Shore, Ocean City, the Purdue chicken farm? If you like the water and water sports, you're smack-dab in the right place for those types of activities? Go see an IMAX movie at the Baltimore Science Center. I've lived in Maryland for 20 years and still haven't seen everything that the mid-Atlantic area has to offer.

The Capitol was fascinating to me and still is. My first visit was in the dead of winter. A friend and I played hooky one day and headed down to DC. We took the Metro to the Smithsonian...That was my first taste of ever using a Metro system and was impressed with how clean it was for being a huge transportation system. Anyhow, as we exited the underground Metro stop at the Smithsonian, I just fell in awe of the magnitude of our Nation's capitol. The Mall was HUGE!!! I thought to myself as I looked from one end of the Mall to the other...Wow, people in other parts of the country who have never visited the Capitol and have only seen pictures of it don't realize the beauty and massiveness of this place.

Oh yeah, as Jeff mentioned...Otakon in August. [​IMG]

9. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

You can walk about downtown Baltimore and get panhandled.

10. TedE

TedE Stunt Coordinator

If you're into outdoors stuff, hit some of the better trails in the area. Catoctin is only about an hour-and-a-half to the west (in Thurmont, near Camp David). Gunpowder falls is in your back yard.

You can hit Six Flags (just north of D.C.) or Hersheypark isn't that far of a drive.

Definitely make a day of it and come down to D.C. and hit anything you haven't seen. The Folklife Festival is starting next week on the Mall and will be going on until around the 4th.

Drive out to Chesapeake Beach (western side of the bay), check out the cliffs that make up the southern portion of the shore there (all the way down to Calvert Cliffs). They make up one of the most productive fossil beds on the East Coast.

Artscape 2003 will be happening the last weekend in July downtown in the area around the Meyerhoff. Lots of things to see and hear (Blues Traveler and Theivery Corporation are playing, to name a couple; all are free shows.)

It's been awhile since I was in high school in Bawlmer, but those are just a few of the things that I remember doing with my free time

11. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Have to say that going to college out there left me bored to tears. The saving grace was its close proximity to D.C. and semi-close proximity to other cities (Philly and NYC.) Can't speak more highly of the Smithsonian. Drive down to the suburbs and take the Metro in or take the MARC trains from Baltimore down to D.C.