What's new

Things that you didnt want to happen but turned out for the best (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Just something fun...

What are some things or events that you didnt want to happen, or didnt happen your way, but turned out better in the way it went rather than the way you wanted???

I have two...

When school started this year, i hated my schedule... I had none of my friends in my classes, so i wanted to switch two of my classes English and Biology to a different period. The counsellor didnt let me, and now, im very thankful... THe teacher i WOULD have switched to is a real witch. She doesnt like teaching, doesnt like kids, gives all these super hard assignments, marks hard, and just plain the worst english teacher. Am i glad i didnt get into there...

The other one seems kinda stupid but...

When i first got satellite, i wanted to have the reciver in my room, so i can change channels without going to my HT room. THe installer came and installed it when i was out, so i couldnt tell him to put it in my room. Well, not knowing much about the reciever it turns out that If i had put it in my room, my HT would not get Svideo, or Stereo sound, rather just a connection by RF (UGH!). But im glad that they didnt move it to my room now...

What are yours?

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
This is a great thread topic, and I hope it gets alotta hits.

Anyway,

Here's a simple one. I really wanted to be surprised with a new car when I was 16, but instead I got car my dad's friend owned when I was 16½. Welp, that used car, which was sweet at the time, is still with me today, and I love it more and more each day. (It's a Caddy, the chicks love it).

Here's a HT related one straight from my webpage, slightly modified: I had my heart set on a regular 27" Sony TV. I went to Circuit City a week before I received my paycheck to make sure they still had 27" V models in stock. While I was speaking to the moron sales rep, I gazed upon the new Sony Wegas. I wanted one ever since they were introduced earlier that year, but the 27" models were out of my price range. A week later, I went to my local hi-fi shop to learn about receivers and speakers from the friendly folks working there. The sales rep asked about my TV, and I told them I was goin to Circuit City to get a $450 Sony. Then the salesman told me they just got in all-new 27" $600 Flat screen Wegas. To make a long story short, two days later, I had the KV-27FS12 in my room...weeks before Best Buy and Circuit City stocked them. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it had component video; I originally wanted S-video at the most.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I didnt want my Marantz SR-6200 to have all the S-video and background noise issues, but since it did, I now have a much better (IMHO) Yammie RX-V1200. On that note, Oh please dont let my POS cd player break. Oh please I hope it doesnt break and I would have to get a new Mega changer or SACD player.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I believe that the Glimmer Twins put it the best:

You can't always get what you want

But if you try sometimes you just might find

You get what you need

I have no examples fit to print, but I've definitely been down that path.

- Steve

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Well,on a more personal side,I never wanted to get a divorce,but that should be final in March.Funny/sad thing is,it took her leaving for me to realize the kids and myself are alot better off without her and I have met a few amazing ladies.

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
Let's see, I have a few:

My divorce.

My new girlfriend, who lives in Argentina, was supposed to visit me last May to go see the U2 concert, but the person who had volunteered to help her get her passport renewed quicker actually ripped her off, so she didn't get the passport in time to see the concert. We were mad at the time, but it worked out better because she got to visit for a longer time in June.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
My most recent one was the sub I built.

I had decided on a 160L allignment tuned to 18hz with a single 4" flared port. I was right ticked when it turned out the amp was on backorder. I had it all planned out. If the amp wasn't on back order I should have received all the pieces in time to build the sub in earily April during the brief break I had before finals.

I ended up waiting for almost 2 months for the amp. However, over those two months I learned a lot and decided instead of a big foot print short box, I'd do a tall, small foot print sonotube sub. So I cancelled the 4" flared port and went with 6" PVC in a 260L enclosure.

Since I haven't heard a 160L with a 4" vent I can't say for sure I'm significantly happier sound wise. But appearance, foot print and ease of build wise, I'm significantly happier with my 260L sonotube design.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, one night, several years ago, I was invited to play euchre with a couple of friends and a female acquaintance. I didn't particularly feel like going, but they needed a fourth player so I said yes. After a while, this female acquaintance started getting a bit, uh, frisky. ;) Anyway, the next thing I know, we start making out. Than a video camera is taken out and, um, well....let's just say that it was a memorable night! And yes, alcohol was involved... :D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
whats euchre? :confused:
Hey im canadian... idunno bout you 'mericns' wacky games... :D

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
NickSo, euchre is a card game. I'm too tired to even try and explain the rules right now. BTW, you shouldn't have read my post - I don't want to be accused of warping your fragile little mind! :D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Hey NickSo, don't sweat it...I've lived in The States all my life and I've never heard of euchre.
Does it play like Fisbin? ;)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
:laugh:
Asshole is a much better card game to pick up the ladies Matthew. Funny, we can all say our ex's. I bet though that many of us didn't feel that way the first few months or so of break up. At least I didn't. But in time I realized it really was for the best.
Another one where I had to lose to win was when my 1981 Olds died on the highway on my way for a date back in summer. I left the car on the side of a busy highway and hitched a ride to keep my date. She felt bad because of my misfortune and made it up to me. All night long. :D
A few days later I was a proud owner of a much newer car(1999 Grand Prix). Yah, that was a great weekend.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I got fired from my job over two years ago. i'm a university student so it's not like it'll affect the rest of my life, but i was really happy at my job and very sad to leave. but as it turns out i got a much better job that is actually related to my field of study and that pays about twice as much. as well i took another part time job in the hospitality industry and met the most amazing person in my life right now.:D

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
Michael,

I remember reading your story when you posted it a few months ago. You may have the all-time best story for, as they say, taking lemons and making lemonade. Classic!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks