What's new

Things that typify your home town (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
We were outside today, shoveling out the rest of the snow from our porch, and I looked next door and our neighbors had the BBQ grill out and were cooking like crazy. As we drove down to the store to pick up some milk (I don't Christmas shop the day after Thanksgiving, too much hastle) we went by two more houses BBQ'ing.

I thought: yep, that says Kansas City.

I'm trying to think of moments similar in other cities where I said "this is -exactly- what this city is about"

Just trying to round up stories about what defines other cities to people :)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Two words typify my hometown: Camp Pendleton. Unfortunately we have had a lot of Iraq war casualties coming out of CampPen. Here in Oceanside, we love the base and its inhabitants. The Marine presence not only typifies Oceanside, Ca it defines it.;)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
this one is easy for me. plymouth rock, pilgrims, the mayflower, thanksgiving. and thousands of tourists every year for those reasons. oh yeah, as of the past 10 years, protests by american indians on thanksgiving...not really sure what was acceptable from 1621 - 1994, but suddenly became unacceptable in 1995. all of a sudden there were protests every year on thanksgiving, but they have since died down.

CJ

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Right now? Blue roofs (hurricane damage)

Other times? Blue hair. (retirement community)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Growth!

I moved to my home town to get out of city life. When I moved in twenty years ago, there was only one stop light in the whole town. Never lines of cars at it either. You could drive a few minutes in any direction and you'd be out in farm and ranch country. No ever honked. They never asked for ID when cashing a check.

Now, we have traffic lights everywhere. The population has gone up 10X's what it was. People seem impatient and honk all the time. We're strip searched if we want to cash a check and....there's even a Walmart, a ton of other commercial establishments, Apple built a plant here, there's an yuck auto mall, and plans for a very large mall.

That's why my wife and I have purchased a nice lot by the ocean in Washington.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Drivers who cannot grasp the concept of turn signals, and hundreds upon hundreds of people who speak so slurred you can barely understand a word they are saying (Newfoundland accent)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

Watcha tawkin' bout der boy? :D

Another thing that typifies Nanaimo, no matter what the temperature, it could be 2 degrees C, but if the sun is out, we wear shorts.

StephenA

Screenwriter
When I was a kid I'd say the small town sensibility. Now I'd say too much growth in population and too many commercialized areas. My grandmother is the one in my family who has seen it change the most from a small town that still used trolleys and had one room school houses to what it is now.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Snow, Chicken wings, super bowl losses and Being crappy. Its funny a few of you mentioned the population booms in your towns, Buffalo has lost nearly 300,000 people, Half of its population in the last 40 years.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
They've all moved down here. The population has more than doubled to 4.5 million since I moved here 17 years ago.

What typifies Atlanta?

Traffic. And when there is so much as a snow flurry people forget how to drive.

Dogwoods and azaleas blooming in the spring.

Trees! We're not called a city in a forest for nothing.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Going back to Toledo Ohio 25 years after I left; nothing has changed.
Maybe a new strip mall and a few less UAW Local 48 jackets but outside of that, I have not missed a beat.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Goodness... million dollar subdivisions and then trailers parks right next door.... lol! The zoning out here is insane!

I think the biggest thing that would describe my city is instead of Circle K's or 7-11's on every corner we have Baptist churches on every corner.

We may be moving soon (only lived in our house 9 months) but we are looking at getting annexed and cannot afford the new taxes and there has been so much growth out here in our little rural area what with all the million dollar homes coming in, and no I don't live in one of those trailers I mentioned, lol! *talk about run on sentence*

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am not much of a nature person, but I LOVED that about ATL the couple of times I visited.

--
H

James L White

Supporting Actor
You live "in" Memphis huh? That's gotta be the only place on earth where a slum can be right next to an upscale area;)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I used to live there from when I was born till I was about 3 (1979-1982). Since then, I've been back 2-3 times a year to visit my relatives who still live there. If I go down there for Christmas, I'll ask them if it's true. :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Memphis is strange that way..

Also strange that way is down by Cocoa Walk in Miami. When we go to visit my wife's parents, I'm always amazed that you cross through literal slum and then, on the other side of a traffic light, it's high-end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks