What's new

Things that bug you about your favorite movies... (1 Viewer)

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
Matrix: Reloaded - The whole Zion dance scene, totally unnecassary and way too cheesy. Also, Morpheus's speech in Zion. It lacked emotion but was said in a way that tried to convey alot of emotion.

Attack of the Clones: Boba Fett as a child. Horrible acting in that kid, worse than Anakin in the Phatom Menace. The scene in the asteroid field where he's giggling and shouting things like "Watch out!", made me sick.

Matrix: Don't know why this bugs me, but it does. When Morpheus takes Neo into the program for the first time and says "Welcome to the desert of the real." I don't know, but I find that line so cheesy.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
It's a Wonderful Life - when the nonexistent George goes to his mother's house. That whole scene is so corny and badly played.

Halloween - after Michael nails Bob to the wall, he stands there staring at him for what seems like an eternity. Why?

Caddyshack - the pregnant-girl subplot.

Spider-Man - the scene of the Green Goblin flying into the building was mildly disturbing after 9/11.

Happy Gilmore - in the theatrical version, they never resolve the nursing-home story, although they did include an extra scene for the TV version where Happy throws Ben Stiller out the window. I know Dennis Dugan is hardly a world-class storyteller, but surely they could have included this scene.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Definately Spiderman and the whole Green Goblin as a guy in a special suit. As I recall, in the comic book, the Green Goblin was a mutant of some sort, not some guy in a suit.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The original Green Goblin was a guy in a suit.The change to make the suit armored was to make to more "realstic"-so it wasnt a guy running around in a rubber mask.

The fight on the bridge and especially his death scene were inspired by the original comic books.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Halloween - after Michael nails Bob to the wall, he stands there staring at him for what seems like an eternity. Why?
It seems to me Micheal is admiring his 'work of art', titting his head to look at it from a different angle. This is presumably to show Micheal's cruelty and I think it works well.

James T

Screenwriter
Definately Spiderman and the whole Green Goblin as a guy in a special suit. As I recall, in the comic book, the Green Goblin was a mutant of some sort, not some guy in a suit
You might be thinking of Ultimate Spiderman series. That started a couple years ago(I think around the same time as the movie came out). They reworked the whole Spider-man origin and tweaked a few things here and there. Green Goblin was one of them. I think I remember that he wasn't actually a mutant until he injected some drugs in him(although the lab explosion did mess him up a bit).

I agree completely with Simon's reasoning for Mike Myers...except for the 'titting his head' part.

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
For the most part I love Last of the Mohicans, but the "stay alive, no matter what occurs. I will find you." bit I can't stand.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Personally I always loved the head tilting too :D

Ill add Winonas stupid voiceover at the end of Dracula.

JonathonSan

Stunt Coordinator
The scene in Blade after Blade breaks up the rave and is fighting Frosts henchmen. Blade shoots Quinn(Donal Logue) with two of his silver spikes, that fries any other vampire, only to pin Quinn to the wall. Shouldn't Quinn have been toast too?

JonathonSan

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought of another one.

In The Matrix, when Neo is in the rebel's car and Switch is just being a stone cold B@#$%. They need him, so why the gun and the "coppertop" comments so quickly. With their mad Matrix skills and his lack, what do they have to worry about. Just irritated me.

Jonathon

richardWI

Second Unit
ROTJ:

Han's rescue takes too long. Bad dialogue, "look, it's Han Solo and he's still frozen in carbonite!" and gems like, "someone who loves you." Bad music number turned into extended bad music number in Special Ed. (thats a good abreviation for it.)

When Obi Wan "the ghost" sits on a rock.

Yoda is lit too brightly compared to ESB.

Solaris (the Russian one)- he's driving in a car. For 5 minutes. I get and love the rest of the film, but what the hell is this?
I liked that scene. If it's a Tarkovsky film and has SOME MOVEMENT going on in a scene, I'm a happy camper. It's very Antonioni.

There's speculation that scene was not put in for purely artistic purposes. Tarkovsky got permission from the soviets to film in Japan and he had to justify his expense. 5 minutes of sceentime = big production value realized on the expensive trip. It was rare to get permission to travel abroad in that enviornment.

So it's like we're being treated to T's home movies. (Which is pretty much like every Tarkovsky film.)

The animal cruelty scenes in Andrei Rublev are the worst, most unnecessary scenes I've ever scene in a film. ticks me off every time I think about because the rest of the film is so damn incredible.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
What bugs me about my favorite films is when others rip into them in a manner that shows they shallowly missed the point of the movie. Quick examples would be folks who say "Titanic, the boat sank, get over it" or "Matrix is just an action film". Etc...

richardWI

Second Unit
Here's another time travel bugger...

I've only seen T2 twice, so I may have missed the explanation, but when they destroy all the research lab material that created the Robert Patrick machine, shouldn't the movie be over right then and there? How is it that he can still be marching around if they completely destroyed the ability for him to be created? The third act showdown should never have occured at all.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
"This is what happens when you find a man in the Alps!!!!"

:laugh: What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Richard,
Among time travel movies, there is the closed loop kind (12 Monkeys, T2) and the rewriting/parallel universe kind (BTTF).

In the closed loop kind, what has happened has always happened. However, everything seems to have a genesis. I don't think you could be your own father in a closed loop movie. However, you could send your friend to be your father. Your father appears in the past because you will eventually send him. And the person your choose in the future you already know will become your father. Even if you tried to send someone other than Kyle Reese, Kyle Reese will be the one that goes, no matter what. Nothing ever changes.

In the rewriting type, new braches are created when you go back and change things. You could have Kyle Reese be your father, then go back and change it into someone else by delaying him, and may even negate your own existence. They waver on if your original timeline stuff remains even if you invalidate it or treat it like BTTF where errors are erased from existence.

For the Terminator series, three things always happened. There was always a judgement day. Miles Dyson always was inspired to create the Terminator, and the original Cyberdyne lab and the original Terminator artifacts were always destroyed. The devices created in T3 were based on the work that Dyson had already completed, so the artifacts were no longer needed. For that reason, the T-800 exists unchanged and the T-1000 also exists unchanged.

The only flawed thing in the Terminator series is Skynet's belief it could change the past. However, it always had to try because it could not exist if it hadn't tried to kill John Conner by sending a T-800 back in the past.

T3 busted up all kinds of continuity, as do the deleted scenes for T2. But overall, T2 should still work if Sarah is indeed wrong that the road was completely open at the end of T2. She only thought she had change things when instead she was doing everything she would ever do and the end result depended on her attempts to stop it.

Thought of another portion of some favorite films that bug me:

I love the remake of The Ring. Everything in it really worked for me tonally except the opening. The girl at the end of her seven day cycle was not acting as she should, and should not have been told the urban legend by her friend. Changing this opening to make the soon-to-be victim morose and having her friend find the body would have worked much better than the pillow fight Scream antics they used.

Ben Rockwell

Agent
I thought of another one...in The Matrix while he is riding with Switch and Trinity in the cab, he gets out of the car at one point, and they say to him, "No, Neo, you've been down that road before" and he looks down a road. What in the world is that road? Have I missed something completely, or does that line just seem cheap and out of place?

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
Matrix and the Road - I think that was just a metaphor meaning that doing nothing would only lead him to never change. By taking a chance he would be going down a new "road"

T2 - The existence of T3 shows why the Terminators did not go poof. What bugs me about the Terminator movies is how Reese is Johns father. There had to be a "first time" when the machines came to power in which John had a different father. Because Sarah tells him "how much it feel knowing that you have to send your father back to die because then you could never be" or something like that. So if he doesnt send him back he'll just go poof? I basically just gloss over the time travel, because it can never end. Why didnt they just send back a Terminator to kill Saras mother.....

At least in T3 they made it a point that John was not the only target.

Blade - I took it as you didnt die unless the silver hit a vital part of your body. Hence the "you aim for the head or the heart, anything else and its your @$$"

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I thought of another one...in The Matrix while he is riding with Switch and Trinity in the cab, he gets out of the car at one point, and they say to him, "No, Neo, you've been down that road before" and he looks down a road. What in the world is that road? Have I missed something completely, or does that line just seem cheap and out of place?
*L* I know what you mean because that always struck me as unintentionally funny. If they hadn't put that shot of the road in there, it would have been fine, just an expression appropriate for the situation. But by actually showing a quick shot of a road, it feels for a second like Trinity is actually speaking literally :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks