What's new

Things that bug you about your favorite movies... (1 Viewer)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

That was probably my favorite scene(s) from the film. I absolutley love the way that was done.

As far as Back to the Future II, the filmakers knew about the impossibility of the plot, but chose a "when you travel into the future, you see it as if you never left" approach.

Ben Rockwell

Agent
Okay, sorry, but I'm bringing this one back from the dead:

The scene in Old School where the kids are trying to get Will Ferrell's character to drink, and he tells them that he has a "nice little Saturday planned" for the next day. Well, the next day we see Mitch (Luke Wilson's character) in his office talking to the Elisha Cuthbert's dad, so it is obviously Friday. It's very minor, but it bugs me nonetheless.

Also, as much as I love the movie Fight Club, whenever the Project Mayhem stuff starts I kind of just lose interest. I'm not really sure why, but I have a hard time staying interested in the movie from that point on.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Things in movies best left undone:

The Matrix Reloaded: The bowling "strike" sound effect during the burly brawl.

Jurassic Park; The Lost World: A pack of velociraptors manage to eat an entire command team armed with weapons only to be beaten-up by a 10 year old girl armed with the awesome power of gymnastics and an amazingly handy set of uneven bars.

LadyHawke: The Music.

As for the Fight Club stolen car: I theorize that after the airport "dildo guy" ignores 'Jack' to resume talking on the phone, 'Jack' assumes the role of 'Tyler' and steals the car to destroy his apartment. We see 'Jack' watch the incident because the we, the audience, is as of yet unaware that there is no 'Tyler' and Jack/Tylers subconscious "fills in the gap" of 'Jack' waiting around the airport for a taxi. Notice that "dildo guy" stops talking to 'Jack' (because he really left).

In reality 'Tyler' destroys his own apartment, leaves the scene, and returns later as 'Jack', totaly unaware that he ever left the airport loby.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Emilio Estevez in The Breakfast Club. The scene where he gets stoned runs around the library screams and breaks the window. TBC is my all time favorite movie, but I have always HATED that scene.

Empire Strikes Back--pilot's briefing at the beginning of the Hoth battle: "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?" The delivery of that line is just horrible. Also, the "spontaneous" cheer when the first transport gets away.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Well, the 17 flyovers of the Great River for one
Amen. I remember thinking about that sequence as a whole, and how it really pulled me out of the film. This includes the million flyovers, the awkward fade ins to Uruk-Hai feet, fade back in to fly-over, fade out and back in to Uruk Hai in slow motion looking menacing, fade back to boats, then to Legolas 'looking suspicious' at the sound of birds in the trees. Just a really strange, awkwardly paced moment that probably couldn't have been handled any other way, but still...

Then I listened to Peter Jackson's commentary. He specifically cites that sequence, including the aforementioned Legolas reaction shot, as one of his favorites Hm...

~j

Brenton

Screenwriter
Empire Strikes Back--pilot's briefing at the beginning of the Hoth battle: "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?" The delivery of that line is just horrible.
That's a good one.

Return to Oz: Dorothy refers to her tin friend as "Tin Woodsman" (note the 'S'). In the MGM film, he was always referred to as Tin Man. However, Return to Oz is not meant to correlate with the MGM film, but with the book series. In the book series, it's Tin Woodman (without an 'S'). Another one from this movie is the shoes. They are ruby slippers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize that this movie is not modelled after the MGM film, so why did they use the ruby slippers, which were a creation of the MGM film's screenwriters? To play off the book, it should have been silver shoes.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
Lord of the Rings - The annoying too closeup shots during the fight scenes. Two Towers was worse, hopefully they'll have the camera pulled back just a little bit and let me see whats going on.

Fellowship Specific - In the EE at the end Boromir does the same move several times. Its the hitting the Orcs sheild back and forth. He does this same thing at least 3 times...

Highlander - The swordplay is pretty bad. In the end fight the same routine is used several times.

Matrix - Fight scenes are to slow. It didnt look like a fight to me, too much like dancing. Reloaded does a little better, but things looks a little rehearsed in some places. I attribute some of this to being that its in a computer world so all their moves would be near perfect.

Star Wars - Lightsabers have weightless blades, yet they are used like they are regular swords. The blade speed should be very very fast. The worst of this so far has been Mace Windu. The best saber scene is still the Maul fight.

Any movie that uses a bullet to start a fire. Lead doesnt spark!

We Were Soldiers - As mentioned the washing machine discussion makes me cringe at how PC it looks.

Conan - Some of the obivious misses in the action are too easy to spot.

Indy 3 - Marcus Brody was not an idiot in Raiders.

Blade 2 - It was established that Blade does age like a Human in Blade 1. Also Whistler shot himself with Blades gun that should have been loaded with Silver bullets. They could have fixed both of these with 2 lines. One saying that the bullet must have passed completely through Whistler before he turned, and saying that Blades aging has greatly slowed with maturity. I guess the age thing concerns me due to rumors that Blade 3 is going to take place in the future...

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Halloween: When Micheal Myers stops the car when one of the girl shouts "Speed kills jerk". He's way too far to hear anything.
Halloween: When Micheal Myers follows the 2 girls in the car, he's right behind them for a while, they have seen the car previously but they don't notice him.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Clay: Glad to see I'm not alone on the frenetic to the point of confusion battle scenes of FOTR and TTT. Indeed, let's hope things improve in ROTK in that dept.

-Dennis

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Also, as much as I love the movie Fight Club, whenever the Project Mayhem stuff starts I kind of just lose interest. I'm not really sure why, but I have a hard time staying interested in the movie from that point on.
I feel exactly the same way. Fight Club is probably my #3 favourite movie of all time, but I immediately loose all interest when they start going on and on about Project Mayhem. What's even worse though, is the fight between Brad Pitt & Whatshisname towards the very end of the movie. I hate that fight, and I find it very boring.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Not necessarily a favorite, but Magnolia is a movie I like. But the rain of frogs I could live without.

Of course, many (most) folks who dig the film dig the frogs. Not me! :frowning:

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Magnolia - its nearly perfect except...the sing along, which is a terrible scene and should have been cut.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I look at Magnolia and hate the frogs, but love the "sing along"; you hate the singing and love the frogs (or maybe you don't care for either!).

A cool flick, which isn't all things to all people. :)

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Star Trek III - Why in the heck did they go to Genesis. They had no idea that Spock would be intact, the "soft landing" of the torpedo was as much a suprise to David as anyone else, let alone him Spock being resurected by Genesis. All Sarak really asks of Kirk is to bring McCoy to Vulcan, then the next scene Kirk wants to steal the Enterprise to go to Genesis for something that may or may not be there. And McCoy / Spock want to charter a spaceship for the same purpose. Why? Like I said, it was not as if Spock knew he could save the enterprise, join with McCoy, be put on Genesis to rest in peace, go back to Starfleet and steal a ship to rejoin his body that has somehow been brought back from the dead.

I just don't think it was well defined.

Jennifer^^W

Auditioning
X-Men - "You know what happens when a toad gets hit by lightning? Same thing that happens to everything else."

Episode 2 - The 'this is a drag' and 'I'm beside myself' puns said by C3P0.
And also, "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth."

Matrix - Reloaded - "I'm not giving up, I can't, I love you too damned much."

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
In The Big Lebowski, when Walter is showing what happens when you copulate with a stranger, the ADR work on the unfortunate car owner is so very bad that it gets distracting. The only part of the film I don't absolutely love.
Now that it has been 'cleaned up' for broadcast TV, that's my favorite scene.

"This is what happens when you find a man in the Alps!!!!"

laugh out loud funny.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Solaris (the Russian one)- he's driving in a car. For 5 minutes. I get and love the rest of the film, but what the hell is this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks