What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I grew up in an uneducated family. No classical music exposure at all. Then I started college right after the Beatles broke up and in my freshman year discovered classical music. I pretty much never looked back after that.

I am baffled when people call me a snob since classical music is MUCH CHEAPER to purchase or attend live than pop music. Check out my threads here on bargain 60 CD sets of Beethoven for $28, or the recent 37 CD set of all Hayden's 104 symphonies for $22.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for that complete Bach set to go on a phenomenal sale for years now...

I got me the Beethoven and Mozart sets thanks to Dennis' help.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Here's one... What do people do to scratch up discs so badly? When I rent a DVD or blu-ray (or buy a previously viewed one), they always look like they have been skidded across a gravel driveway.

I recently bought a previously viewed copy of Sleepy Hollow on blu-ray and I opened it tonight to watch it. The disc was so scratched up, my blu-ray player only made it through the first 10 minutes or so before it started skipping. Needless to say, the disc is unwatchable but I only paid $5 for it so I'm not too messed up about it.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Clinton McClure said:
Here's one... What do people do to scratch up discs so badly? When I rent a DVD or blu-ray (or buy a previously viewed one), they always look like they have been skidded across a gravel driveway.

I recently bought a previously viewed copy of Sleepy Hollow on blu-ray and I opened it tonight to watch it. The disc was so scratched up, my blu-ray player only made it through the first 10 minutes or so before it started skipping. Needless to say, the disc is unwatchable but I only paid $5 for it so I'm not too messed up about it.
Yeah they always look like they been tried to the back end of car and dragged around for miles... Never buy a S/H bluray they are dodgy if badly scratched with pixels and freezing.

I got queer with the cashier at HMV when I was just about to buy Indiana Jones and scratched bluray box set. The discs was all opened up from packing and anything like that sold at shop should be S/H. If the discs are scratched they should be sold not at £40.00 but sold at £4.00 pounds. Screw HMV never buy opened packing from them again, and if they are worried about shoplifters they should put empty packing boxes or maybe cards with picture of the what the CD or bluray DVD looks like and take it to the counter and they give you SEALED PACKED TITLES not frigging opened ones, with "Freddie Kruger claw marks" all over the disc. :biggrin:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A couple of years back, having already purchased the first 2 Seasons of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (Both of them Flipper Sets, but never mind!), I saw the Season 3 Non Flipper Set for $10. I almost bought this, but the tell tale rattling caused me to ask an associate to open the casing, which revealed a severely scratched DVD that had popped out of the mini spindle holding--There was no way that sucker was going to play skip free! This was unfortunately the only copy Future Shop had in store and they weren't yet set up for online ordering.

I guess for me, the slightly baffling aspect of this, is the name of the company that went to the expense of Single Siding the GILLIGAN'S ISLAND DVD's, only to drop the ball by going cheap with the reissued packaging, which led to the scratched disc--Warner Brothers! They're usually much more dependable!

Ah well!

CHEERS! :)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Clinton McClure said:

I've wondered about that too. I've got a couple BDs that I bought in 2006 that still look brand new. I am at a loss. I rent discs from Netflix and many (DVDs) arrive very scratched, but I've only had a handful that wouldn't play over the years. It's given me a lot of respect for the abuse they can handle. The Blu-rays are too new I guess, because most of them are still barely scratched at all. The discs must get tossed onto a table or other surface after watching and left there for days and slid around is my only guess.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Clinton McClure said:

Dr Griffin said:
I've wondered about that too. I've got a couple BDs that I bought in 2006 that still look brand new. I am at a loss. I rent discs from Netflix and many (DVDs) arrive very scratched, but I've only had a handful that wouldn't play over the years. It's given me a lot of respect for the abuse they can handle. The Blu-rays are too new I guess, because most of them are still barely scratched at all. The discs must get tossed onto a table or other surface after watching and left there for days and slid around is my only guess.
One word: kids. I have 4 of them and while I don't let them handle my BD's without me around, their DVD/Video Games/CD's are left laying on tables, under beds, etc. They leave them in their DVD/Game players and just toss them around when they're changing to another disc. Makes my skin crawl.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Dr Griffin said:
I would guess that at least some of these scratched disc were damaged by the tray door closing with the disc not completely seated in the tray. It's happened to me, but I usually manage to grab the tray and prevent it from closing.

You can also use Blu-rays to slice cheese, but only bleu cheese.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
atfree said:
One word: kids. I have 4 of them and while I don't let them handle my BD's without me around, their DVD/Video Games/CD's are left laying on tables, under beds, etc. They leave them in their DVD/Game players and just toss them around when they're changing to another disc. Makes my skin crawl.
I don't loan DVD or bluray to my friend as I have found DVD discs removed from player and placed on the cluttered coffee table. Makes my skin crawl, as well.

larrdog

Stunt Coordinator
I had grandkids over for movies ages 3-10. Had one stick removed to clean it. 7 year old said we just clean ours with peanut butter. They're Not touching my discs.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
larrdog said:
I had grandkids over for movies ages 3-10. Had one stick removed to clean it. 7 year old said we just clean ours with peanut butter. They're Not touching my discs.
Discs are rare now if you had The Thing first pressing covered in peanut butter its gone. If you get a replacement odds are it would be The Thing with part of the audio commentary removed. So keep that peanut butter away from The Thing. The bluray and HD-DVD have had the offending commentary removed so its the bluray its no loss if it got covered in peanut butter. :P

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A photo I just uploaded in another HTF Topic kept uploading upside down, regardless of how I rotated it beforehand! After several futile attempts, I simply left it, as is!

I just have to chalk it up as another one of those annoying PC mysteries, I guess! :rolleyes:

CHEERS! :)

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
My nephews don't treat their video games well either. They rarely put them back in their cases, just leave them lying around stacked on top of each other. Then they get upset when the discs are scratched and won't play.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Baffling:

Bumper stickers.

Why do people still slap these on their cars? I've seen so many really nice higher end cars/trucks/SUV's that have multiple (many crooked) stickers slapped on the paint of these vehicles. It makes me cringe. Why ruin the look of a very nice vehicle with some silly bumper sticker?? I just don't get the appeal.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Alf S said:
Baffling:

Bumper stickers.

Why do people still slap these on their cars? I've seen so many really nice higher end cars/trucks/SUV's that have multiple (many crooked) stickers slapped on the paint of these vehicles. It makes me cringe. Why ruin the look of a very nice vehicle with some silly bumper sticker?? I just don't get the appeal.
How else am I supposed to convince everyone to vote for the political candidate that I like?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
What baffles me and its fascinating me is what is 8600 newtons of wind speed converted into Ilbs pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks