What's new

Things that baffle you? (3 Viewers)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm nowhere near the coast so if it was a tsunami I should've been OK unless the Canary Island volcano finally blew it's top, then I would only have 9 hours to escape inland. If that island blows up they're saying a tsunami could reach heights of up to 1,000 feet or more by the time it reaches the US East Coast. As far as a nuke, well, Russia is still going forward with their determination to wipe out Ukraine and they're blaming us for interfering. So is this the early 80's all over again?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I live in an area with high tornado activity. We have those type of sirens all over town and they're activated to warn of severe weather (heavy thunderstorms with tornado activity spotted). When tornado's are spotted in the area they go off and run for several minutes - typically until the hazard has passed. During storms with heavy tornado activity they'll run for 5+ minutes, shut off for a few minutes (or less), and sound again. One night earlier this year they ran almost continuously for an hour. They are tested *every* Thursday, running for 2-3 minutes, at noon *if* the weather is clear.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Conway and Little Rock test their civil defense / tornado / emergency broadcast system sirens every Wednesday at noon. It’s a bit unsettling for people not from the south or Midwest where tornado sirens are the norm. I’m used to it though because I grew up in a small farming community, two blocks from a tornado siren that also doubled as a fire siren to call the volunteer fire department to the station. They needed a loud civil defense type siren because most of the volunteer fire fighters were farmers and were usually working their fields a mile or two away in the bottoms. This was back in the day before all the firefighters had radios in their trucks.

Here’s the thing most people don’t understand about the fire sirens: They aren’t meant to be heard very loudly indoors. Their primary purpose is to alert people who are outdoors and away from tv or radio.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I live a couple of blocks away from the one for our neighborhood. It's quite loud - even inside, though when they "upgraded" them from the old rotating horn type to the new stationary loudspeaker type it got a bit quieter. I like the older horn type much better. In spite of living in this area all my life, it *is* somewhat unsettling when they go off - especially at night.

In 1973 a tornado system destroyed/damaged huge portions of the town (one of the three that dropped down was 1 mile wide). At that time I was living ~35 miles away. Some of my buddies and I were out cruising when that system went over us (around midnight). It rained so hard we had to pull over as you couldn't see the road at all - then quiet (we found out later that was when the tornado went *over* our town) - then hard rain again. We sat on the side of the main drag for a good half hour. Mom woke me at 7 the next morning (a Sunday) with "Jonesboro's been hit by a huge tornado. Most of the town is gone. Take me to check on Susan!" (my aunt who lived there at the time). I drove her there and we were actually able to get into the trailer park where my aunt lived (on the edge of town with a connection to the main highway) as that one road didn't have the National Guard blocking entry. That trailer park had *zero* damage and my aunt and her family were OK. Let that sink in... 3 tornado's hit the town and a trailer park survived...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Outside of actual lunatics, I assume those people don't believe that garbage at all and are just such pathetic contrarian losers that they figured out how to be trolls in the biggest and most moronic way possible. It's not enough to (fake) believe it, they have to tell everyone that they think something unbelievably stupid so they can get attention.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
At the grocery store (this has happened so many times)

People with literally a few small items in their hands waiting in the checkout line behind three people with massive carts full of groceries. 15 to 20 minute wait minimum. The '20 items or less' lane is empty, they could use that lane and be checked out in a minute flat.

It is baffling to say the least.

Do people actually like waiting in line at the grocery store?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
At the grocery store (this has happened so many times)

People with literally a few small items in their hands waiting in the checkout line behind three people with massive carts full of groceries. 15 to 20 minute wait minimum. The '20 items or less' lane is empty, they could use that lane and be checked out in a minute flat.

It is baffling to say the least.

Do people actually like waiting in line at the grocery store?
My local Kroger never has the 15 or less register open any longer- it’s either regular check out lanes, or self scan. I don’t mind waiting, because I intensely dislike self-scan.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
because I intensely dislike self-scan.
Amen, brother. I'm fine with bagging my own stuff, but I don't like having to do the scanning/checkout, too.

And what's 'baffling" is that at our local market, there will be NO lanes open in the evening EXCEPT the self-scan lanes...yet there will be three or four store employees congregated around the rostrum where the self-scan attendant stands to help with coupons, etc. Why couldn't some of them be working in the other checkout lanes rather than monitoring their phones or chatting with co-workers?!? :huh:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My mother worked at Dominion store. A large Canadian grocery chain. The checked your groceries, bagged them and the “carry out” boys took them to your car an put them in your trunk.

You were not allowed to tip them. Two accepted tips, and even though it was Christmas Eve, they were fired

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Rules are rules after all. Shitty as it is, they weren’t allowed to accept tips, yet they still did against company policy.

We had a southern US version of this type of operation called Piggly Wiggly where they’d check you out and bag your groceries then the “bag boy” would load your groceries in your car. I think IGA also did this here when I was a kid. The big difference was you could tip the bag boys if you wanted because there were no company rules against tipping employees. Even if there was, there were no parking lot cameras in the 1980s.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My mother worked at Dominion store. A large Canadian grocery chain. The checked your groceries, bagged them and the “carry out” boys took them to your car an put them in your trunk.
The only chain I know of that sort of still does this in the northeast is Market Basket in Massachusetts & New Hampshire. They have baggers that will bag all your items as the cashier scans them. You may have to ask them if you want assistance out to the car, though, but I'm pretty sure they'd do it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Nothing to add, but in response to the self scan issues...

The one thing that I do like about self checkout is the ability to bag my groceries the way I see fit. (All the cold items together, all the fragile stuff together, etc.) I guess during the pandemic having one less set of hands on my stuff was okay also.

- Walter.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Tornadoes scare the holy hell out of me.
Me too, and I have never seen one, thank goodness. About 20 years ago, there was a twister that hit not too far away from where I live now. There was a pretty house that was perched on a nice plateau of land, and the storm reduced it to kindling. Odd that the chimney of the house got through unscathed (the chimney stood on that plateau all alone for years).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks