What's new

Things that baffle you? (3 Viewers)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
In high school, I failed an essay-form English Lit test about The Scarlet Letter that specifically asked my opinion of the book. I was told I failed with no other explanation than “my opinion was wrong”.

Someone actually said this to me, "Every one has a right to the right opinion". And who decides if that opinion is right or wrong?:rolleyes:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m typing on my ipad, often a message on the HTF. I post and read it and words are missing. I know they were in my head, where did they go?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
If your opinion is based on misconceptions which show evidence that you have not read the book, it is wrong. Eg — "Mary received a letter in the mail that was red. — I found this boring".

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I read the book but didn’t think it was nearly as good as the teacher apparently thought it was.

You've every right to your honest opinion. However, it's not just that teacher who holds that opinion. The novel is considered a landmark in American literature. Did your paper indicate that you didn't care for the book or did you infer that it wasn't a good book? In college, my class was assigned to read Moby Dick by Herman Melville. That book was sheer torture for me to get through. I didn't much care for it. I still managed to get a B on the paper I wrote on it. I understood it was an important piece of literature. I just didn't respond to it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
You've every right to your honest opinion. However, it's not just that teacher who holds that opinion. The novel is considered a landmark in American literature. Did your paper indicate that you didn't care for the book or did you infer that it wasn't a good book? In college, my class was assigned to read Moby Dick by Herman Melville. That book was sheer torture for me to get through. I didn't much care for it. I still managed to get a B on the paper I wrote on it. I understood it was an important piece of literature. I just didn't respond to it.

Back in the day, I thought teacher/educators/academics had extremely poor taste in the books they selected for classes.

;)

Though in hindsight, my tastes in reading material was just as horrible (ie. star wars novels, battlestar galactica novels, etc ...).

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Most of the books I taught in English class were chosen because there were class sets in the school, and because I was familiar enough with the book to teach it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Most of the books I taught in English class were chosen because there were class sets in the school, and because I was familiar enough with the book to teach it.

At least there were books which could be used that weren't completely gibberish.

Back in the day when I was teaching, sometimes the course either didn't have a standard textbook or the common textbooks were completely gibberish. (These were freshman or sophomore engineering type recitation classes).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In high school, I failed an essay-form English Lit test about The Scarlet Letter that specifically asked my opinion of the book. I was told I failed with no other explanation than “my opinion was wrong”.

I figured this out quite early when we had to do book reports in grade school. Basically the more the written report/essay deviated from what the teacher wanted to see (or believe), the lower the grade I got.

As I got older, the easiest way to get easy high grades was to just regurgitate what the teacher wanted to see, and/or make enough arguments which supports the bias/ideology/etc .... that the teacher/grader/professor wanted to see. The only place where this didn't work at all, were classes which were highly mathematical (such as engineering, computer science, calculus, etc ...).

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
One of my English teachers would have made Andy Griffiths Aunt Bea look like a slut! Everything I wrote in that class was in the style and opinion of a 60+ school marm from the prairies in the 1930s. I did very well, but it was embarrassing if I was asked to read aloud. My essay on how music and long hair was leading to the downfall of our generation was particularly problematic!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This ^ was the primary reason why I majored in a highly technical subject (engineering) in college which had very few to no essays. It felt dishonest writing essays I didn't believe in, just to get high grades (or at least non-failing grades).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Most of the best teachers/professors I've had wanted me to challenge their point of view and they graded accordingly.

This was a rarity at the schools I went to when I was younger.

During college, I only ever had to take three classes which required term paper essays. Otherwise most of my classes were highly technical/mathematical ones, where essays were entirely absent.

The only time I ever really came across teachers/professors who wanted the students to challenge their point of view, was during the brief time I went to law school.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This was a rarity at the schools I went to when I was younger.

During college, I only ever had to take three classes which required term paper essays. Otherwise most of my classes were highly technical/mathematical ones, where essays were entirely absent.

(In more detail).

The few essays I had to write in college, were related to engineering ethics, practices, etc ... It was obvious what exactly the instructor/professor was looking for in these term essays.

You couldn't write about cutting corners, corruption, etc ... as justifications or excuses for designing and building bridges/buildings which fall apart in a high wind (for example).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What is going on with sales of Christmas decorations this year? The stores around here are mostly totally wiped out of lights, trees, decorations, etc., and we're not even into December yet.

I was in Big Lots today, and the shelves of lights were completely bare, there were probably only a half-dozen boxed trees left, and most of the tree trimmings were gone. In Walmart last week, many of the lights were already gone. Haven't been in over the past couple of days.

What happened? Did everyone toss their decorations last year and are all starting from scratch again? I've never seen any store come close to selling out of decorations in any other year. There's usually always a ton left over even after Christmas.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'd guess they anticipated lower demand and stocked lightly. The Big Lots here had far fewer decorations for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas than in the past and it all sold quickly - basically little to no restock. I don't know about other stores as I've avoided Walmart other than for a few grocery items with most of that ordered online for outside pickup. I've been to Target *once* in the past 9 months and that was a quick in/out doing an online order pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JasonJJJ