What's new

Things that baffle you? (10 Viewers)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Mike Frezon said:
Moderator's Note: I just removed a couple of posts from this thread which had a tenuous relationship to the political realm.

We don't mind these types of threads about things which annoy, baffle, etc. But let's stay away, please, from those issues upon which there is serious societal debate right now.

Serious, passionate debate on such things as aspect ratio, DIVX, and edge enhancement are great. We are, after all, a home theater discussion group. We'll let threads like this continue as long as they stay light and fun. But we don't want passionate disagreements about politics, religion, etc. to spill out and poison the water hole.

Thanks for understanding.

I'm can't let you off the hook for:

"Serious, passionate debate on such things as aspect ratio, DIVX, and edge enhancement are great. We are, after all, a home theater discussion group."

I remember when saying "Bluray sucks!" would get you a stern warning, or worse. (Saying HD-DVD sucks would have had the same effect; but that I could take because those people were crazy anyway.)

And yes, I know that's not true anymore, but I'm still bitter, Plus, society has to remember that bad old days too, or else it returns.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Alf S said:
You'd have to be completely oblivious (or in denial) to not think that pouring gallons of chemicals into your body daily/weekly isn't going to cause some harm to your vital organs at some point. kidneys etc.

;)
It is a lose/lose situation with any kind of Soda. Drink the normal stuff a lot, and it is an easy weight gain. Drink the diet variety, and you sacrifice flavor and go into the weird super sweetner area and battle the risks(if any) tied to the stuff.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Alf S said:
Ok..I'm baffled that some folks think pouring chemicals into their bodies numerous times a day/week is "ok" and not harmful.

:)

And the same could be said about anyone that eats processed foods. Contrary to what many labels say, there's a bunch of additives to most foods sold in the middle sections of the grocery store.

All I was saying is that I'm baffled there's never been a study confirming any dangers about drinking diet sodas. There's scientific studies done about each and every other issue in the world, just about.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In Canada, for the past decade or more, there have been endless posts about Tim Horton's Coffee containing trace amounts of nicotine! These absurd rumors continue, despite ample evidence regarding why that just can't be so! (IE. Even trace amounts HAVE to be documented, which refutes the conspiracy theorists "How Tim Horton's can get away with not including nicotine in the list of ingredients" argument!)

CHEERS! (And enjoy a cuppa Timmy's Java!) :)

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I also hate coffee. I mostly drink water and I'm trying to cut back on soda, I'll drink it once a week when the weather cools. I have a friend who only drinks Pepsi, nothing else, and he is skinny. He also works hard all day and was bowling 7 Leagues a week.

Mike Frezon said:
All I was saying is that I'm baffled there's never been a study confirming any dangers about drinking diet sodas. There's scientific studies done about each and every other issue in the world, just about.

http://authoritynutrition.com/why-is-diet-soda-bad-for-you/

"In a study published in the journal Circulation in 2008, which followed 9,514 people for 9 years, drinking artificially sweetened beverages was associated with a 34% greater risk of developing the metabolic syndrome."

'Another study found a 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome and a drastically increased risk of diabetes in diet soda drinkers."

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Alf S said:
I'll start with one that always gets me.

I've read several comments on websites over the years where people will say how much they dislike a certain smartphone because the screen is "too fragile".

But they always like to qualify their statements with silly things like "I just dropped it from not very far onto a tile/concrete floor"

Well what did ya expect ya dipwad??!! It's GLASSS...it will crack/break/shatter!
In some cases some mobile phones had fragile LCD screens with a thin plastic top cover that didn't help much as and I do have a used phone still, that a friend gave me for cheap it worked but a bit hard making out the dialed number.

I have had another mobile phone and its fallen out my pocket more than 5 times and I'm surprised the LCD display is intact, the top cover plastic clear screen seems to be fairly robust. Its a Vodafone, my dad gave it to me 4 or 5 years ago and he rather has a new or up to date type, but me I'm not fused. "Talk here, listen here" and that is just about what a mobile phone is, its not "beam me up, Scotty" its a phone. It would ether break falling out the pocket of 2 feet to the ground or will stay intact. Throw it hard at wall it would break!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
I'm always baffled by the ads that claim Coke Zero tastes just like regular Coke. I drink Coke Zero -- it's less awful than Diet Coke -- but it's still obviously inferior to regular Coke.
Dave, I wouldn't drink that load of rubbish if you gave me £900 billion in cash for one glass of that toilet cleaner of a drink. I BOYCOTTED coke cola junk 16 years ago, I drank enough of that vile bleach cleaner of a drink to do enough damage to my teeth where it was too late even when I BOYCOTTED it I now have dentures. Now then.

coke cola should have WARING on the bottle. BRUSH TEETH AFTER DRINKING THIS CRAP DRINK! Or you'll be hearing the words... "Is it safe?" Hold still gonna drill here won't hurt. :( Yeah my common sense came a bit late and I regret every day of my childhood drinking that rubbish drink.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Alf S said:
Baffle:

Last night at 6:30 PM we went to Panera Bread to pick up dinner. They said they were "out of bread" so couldn't make any of the meals we wanted.

HELLO!! You are Panera B R E A D people!! You don't run out of bread!

LOLOL!
Once ordered Taco Bell at drive through...

"I'd like 2 10count trays of hardshell with free Supreme"

Reply, "we are out of hard shells"

"Ok, 2 10count trays of soft with the free Supreme"

Reply, "free Supreme isn't on soft shell."

"But, this, according to the sign...is 'Taco Bell'...how do you run out of tacos?"

(several customers looked out and were pointing and laughing...we eventually got free Supreme soft shells)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Clinton McClure said:
I have been to taco bell when they ran out of beef. KFC once ran out of chicken here. How do they do that?

We have a local Popeye's that is almost always low or out of the spicy chicken. It's always a 10-20 minute wait for spicy. And at the same time they have a huge mound of mild pieces under the warmer. Sometimes I just want to grab the manager and shake him and tell him that people come to Popeye's for the SPICY CHICKEN!! You'd think after this happening time & time again they might change the ratio a bit - cook a little more spicy & a little less mild?? That would, however, require the ability to think & reason, which I believe may be being deliberately and systematically bred out of the species...

I probably should not post late at night! :)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I was baffled this past week while walking along the beach boardwalk in Maryland:

I passed a bench where three young women were huddled around a cell phone. One was dictating, another was entering the numbers into her smartphone's calculator app.

They were "calculating" their mini-golf scores.

W.T.F?!?!?!?!

"One, Three, Two, Three, Four, Three..."

Seriously? SMH.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Jason Charlton said:
I was baffled this past week while walking along the beach boardwalk in Maryland:

I passed a bench where three young women were huddled around a cell phone. One was dictating, another was entering the numbers into her smartphone's calculator app.

They were "calculating" their mini-golf scores.

W.T.F?!?!?!?!

"One, Three, Two, Three, Four, Three..."

Seriously? SMH.

How hot were they?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Dr Griffin said:
How hot were they?

Irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned. The inability to add numbers less than 7 in your head automatically places one sufficiently low on the "intelligence" scale that infinite beauty would be insufficient to bring overall hotness above the Mendoza line.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Jason Charlton said:
Irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned. The inability to add numbers less than 7 in your head automatically places one sufficiently low on the "intelligence" scale that infinite beauty would be insufficient to bring overall hotness above the Mendoza line.

I guess it was ridiculous of me to think you would know my sense of humor. I just thought it would be a funny thing to ask considering the circumstance.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
How's this for baffling -- the People's Republic of China, if you have money and stay away from politics, is basically a libertarian's dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks