What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm baffled that people actually think coffee tastes good. The stuff is gross. I can only handle it if it is fake like a Tim Horton's French Vanilla. It barely tastes like coffee because of the sugar in it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm baffled that people actually think coffee tastes good. The stuff is gross. I can only handle it if it is fake like a Tim Horton's French Vanilla. It barely tastes like coffee because of the sugar in it.

Many would argue that if you need to add anything to coffee then it is not good coffee. I'm not exactly in that camp as I do add cream & sugar.

While I personally love the taste of coffee not everyone drinks it for taste. Kind of like beer. It's not necessarily delicious but it does it's intended job quite well. ;)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I drink coffee for the flavor as the caffeine does little to keep me awake/alert. I like it black as well as with additions (cream, sugar, flavorings) to "froo froo" it up. One of my favorite additions is a simple packet of hot chocolate mix added to a cup of coffee with the mint hot chocolate being especially good.

I'm baffled with the people who go to places like Starbucks (we have a couple of local "roasters" who are quite popular with brew as bitter and bad as that from Starbucks) and think they're getting a good cup of coffee, paying upwards of $5 a "cup" for the privilege.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Many would argue that if you need to add anything to coffee then it is not good coffee. I'm not exactly in that camp as I do add cream & sugar.

While I personally love the taste of coffee not everyone drinks it for taste. Kind of like beer. It's not necessarily delicious but it does it's intended job quite well. ;)
I view coffee like steak. If you need to add steak sauce then it’s not good steak.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm baffled that people actually think coffee tastes good. The stuff is gross.
Kind of like beer.
I think beer is a good analogy. You need to develop a taste for both before really enjoying them. I can't imagine anyone drinking coffee or beer for the first time and thinking "Mmmmm!"

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And beer tastes just as nasty to me now as it did the first time I tried it ~50 years ago, in spite of having drank quite a lot of it over the decades (hey... it's cheap and not *that* bad on a hot day if it's ice cold - and I partied quite a lot in college and the years before I had kids). When I first tried it my friend said "You have to develop a taste for it." to which I responded "Why would you want to?"

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I drink lots of coffee, but consider myself lucky in never having developed a taste for anything alcoholic. Both sides of my family are filled with numerous alcoholics, and knowing my rather addictive personality, I am sure I’d be one of them if I liked the stuff. Just think of the discs I can buy because of the money I save!

I’ve never been drunk in all my 69 years either. The closest I ever came was when I was about 16 and lived with my parents. They went out for New Years and I was alone and feeling sorry for myself so I downed an entire tumbler of vodka. I simply went upstairs and went to bed!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I’ve never been drunk in all my 69 years either. The closest I ever came was when I was about 16 and lived with my parents. They went out for New Years and I was alone and feeling sorry for myself so I downed an entire tumbler of vodka. I simply went upstairs and went to bed!

LOL - How many ounces in that tumbler? If it was the standard 12 then you were way beyond drunk, just not awake. :eek:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
For some reason, although I have no problem with anyone else drinking around me, in addition to never acquiring a taste for it, I actually don’t feel “adult” enough to drink myself. One of the most uncomfortable places for me are bars. It is funny, because alcohol was everywhere in the house where I grew up, and I probably would not have recognized my parents without a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other (I have never smoked either!)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
For some reason, although I have no problem with anyone else drinking around me, in addition to never acquiring a taste for it, I actually don’t feel “adult” enough to drink myself. One of the most uncomfortable places for me are bars. It is funny, because alcohol was everywhere in the house where I grew up, and I probably would not have recognized my parents without a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other (I have never smoked either!)
While I do drink, my mother’s heavy smoking instilled a strong dislike for smoking. To this day, I have never smoked anything legal. ;)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm baffled that people actually think coffee tastes good. The stuff is gross.

I love coffee and a good dinner is not complete without a strong cup of coffee to top it off. However, your aversion to it is personal and we all find something gross that other people love. Mine is milk which I find the most disgusting piece of fluid on the planet. Even as a kid I refused to eat my Cheerios or corn flakes with that white muck on it. I ate the cereal dry or with chocolate milk (still disgusting but the flavor is disguised) instead. Curiously I LOVE cheese and ice cream, both dairy products and I always put a little bit of cream in my coffee, just enough to give it some color (but NEVER sugar).

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
However, your aversion to it is personal and we all find something gross that other people love.

Couldn't agree more. Our differences are what define us as humans. We are so varied, as opposed to animals who [as far as we know] share mostly common traits within a species. I love reading about our differences. As long as we all practice mutual respect, it is an amazing phenomenon.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks