Things that baffle you?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My parents don't drink coffee and it was rarely in our house (I think mom kept a jar of instant for the occasional time someone would ask for a cup). I discovered it in college. A girlfriend was a coffee drinker so, of course, I was too. I put 4 tsp sugar and 3 creamer in a *small* cup (those dinky things that come with dish sets). At one point, my Dr. took me off all sugar and breads for 3 months. That meant black coffee. I got used to it but when I could add sugar back to my diet I immediately made a cup of coffee like I used to drink. Holy Cow! That was quite nasty with *way* too much sugar and creamer! I poured it out and got a cup of black. That was 45 years ago and I still drink it black most of the time. I do have a "froo froo" coffee on occasion and found a chocolate creamer I like and use for one cup a day but the normal cup is black and strong.

The girl I married was a huge coffee drinker and came from a family where there was *always* a pot on the stove (sometimes cooking for *hours* - that was some really nasty stuff! But they drank it anyway). When we married she drank anywhere from 3-5 pots a day by herself. I drank a cup or two. Now I drink a pot most days and she's down to a cup or two.

One of my favorite desserts is tiramisu.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
What baffles me about coffee, is why everyone does not use Kcup coffee pods now. They are very quick, easy, and make delicious coffee. There kind of like a no-filter-no-grounds-coffee-revolution.

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Coffee itself baffles me: I grew up on hot cocoa every winter, so if I drink something hot, it has to be thick, creamy and chocolate, with a minimum of whipped cream. Or hot spiced punch/cider if it's the holidays.
I understand the need for caffeine (I don't react well, and I'll do strange things on just one bottle of Coke Zero), but I don't see the appeal of drinking watery bitter Burned-Popcorn Broth. Like alcohol, if grownups told me it was an Acquired Taste, it wasn't worth it.

Not that I don't enjoy a good Starbucks pumpkin-spice latte every fall, as for some reason I love mocha, and like coffee as a minor flavoring to chocolate, caramel or pumpkin/cinnamon.
And their Mocha/S'mores Frappucinos--While our downtown Starbucks was closed for the duration, I tried making do with the local drive-thru McDonald's McCafe clone, and, an hour later: "Wait....Somebody put coffee in this thing!! :blink: "

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What baffles me about coffee, is why everyone does not use Kcup coffee pods now. They are very quick, easy, and make delicious coffee. There kind of like a no-filter-no-grounds-coffee-revolution.
I use both Kcups and a drip pot. Kcups are pretty good in a pinch or if you're pressed for time, but they're not the best way to make tasty coffee. For years I was Kcup only, but then one day I fired up the old drip pot and now I use that for most of my coffee making.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
Too expensive for those of us who drink more than just one cup. Besides, the smell of a pot of coffee is heavenly.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
My go-to at home is Dunkin’ Original or French Vanilla with a splash of half & half or heavy whipping cream. I don’t use sugar. When I’m out, I drink whatever is available if there’s a pot on. Except hazelnut. That’s just gross.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I can make an entire pot for the cost of a single Kcup pod. I've also had few of them that prompted me to want a 2nd cup. Most taste like coffee from places like Starbucks - bitter, burnt flavor, and in need of massive amounts of cream and sugar to make it palatable. They're OK for an occasional one-off cup but not every day.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
So I’m well overdue for a haircut and am beginning to look a bit like Bob Ross. SportClips opens at 10:30 but they have online check-in so supposedly I won’t have to queue outside the door in the blazing sun to get my hair cut. I show up in the parking lot at 10:20, look at the half dozen guys sweating outside on the sidewalk, and sit in my car with the air running and the SportClips app open waiting until 10:30 so I can check-in online and will be first or second in line. 10:30 rolls around, the open sign turns on, and I get a message that online check-in will not be available until 10:35. So I end up number 9 sweating out on the sidewalk waiting to check-in with an almost 45 minute wait.

Why have the ability to check-in online when it doesn’t go active for a good five minutes after the salon opens?

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My go-to at home is Dunkin’ Original or French Vanilla with a splash of half & half or heavy whipping cream. I don’t use sugar. When I’m out, I drink whatever is available if there’s a pot on. Except hazelnut. That’s just gross.
The coffee I’m stuck with drinking on the road is swill for the most part, but when I’m home, I grind Starbucks Cafe Verona beans each morning that I’m at the house, and use 2 small tablespoons of Sugar In The Raw, topped off with just enough hazelnut cream to make the coffee a rust color. Yummy! :D

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I can make an entire pot for the cost of a single Kcup pod. I've also had few of them that prompted me to want a 2nd cup. Most taste like coffee from places like Starbucks - bitter, burnt flavor, and in need of massive amounts of cream and sugar to make it palatable. They're OK for an occasional one-off cup but not every day.
I agree that some Kcup coffee tastes like that, but you just have to experiment and find your blend from thousands of choices. We buy huge boxes of Tim Horton's kcups (We ARE Canadian!) original blend and de-caf from Costco, where they are sold at a very reasonable price.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Love coffee, but baffled by the appeal of Starbucks. Ugh. Burnt and bitter.

Tim Horton's is good, also enjoy Peets. I just subscribed to their small batch series. Last month was Vietnamese. Last week, received Kenyan. I also like to try smaller roasters and local/regional types.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
We have a local coffee shop that's much like Starbucks. People rave over their brew (they claim to roast the beans themselves) and the lines spill into the streets blocking traffic (they have 2 locations, one of which regularly blocks the way into my office due to people not knowing how to queue properly in a drive through and backing up off a side street onto a 4 lane high traffic street rather than go around a corner to the 2nd entrance which almost always has a shorter line that doesn't block a main street - and they have workers on the line taking orders giving the appearance of moving things faster - it doesn't and causes even more traffic issues). Heaven help you if you want to get past on "double punch day" (get 10 punches on your card, get a free coffee of your choice). Their coffee is no better than Starbucks with a strong burnt and bitter taste. I just don't get why they're so popular.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Boy, do I have to disagree. I find k-cups to be weak and lacking in flavor. Never had one I liked. Give me a top-notch coffee maker and a good back of beans any day.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Businesses that post political signs in their streetfront windows, showing endorsement of specific candidates or social issues. Given our polarized political times, I'd think you're potentially alienating about half of your possible customers?

Reactions: TravisR

Mike Frezon

Premium
Businesses that post political signs in their streetfront windows, showing endorsement of specific candidates or social issues. Given our polarized political times, I'd think you're potentially alienating about half of your possible customers?
Amen. That's why I can't for the life of me understand why professional sports is doing that very thing. Why piss off half your market?

Reactions: Jeffrey D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Amen. That's why I can't for the life of me understand why professional sports is doing that very thing. Why piss off half your market?
I assume they believe in the cause they're promoting and hold that in higher regard than if it makes people mad. I will say that that's alot easier choice to make when you're rich.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Hemiram

Agent
Real Name
Barry
I've noticed NHRA drag racing cars that have signs like "Women for Trump Pence" and it amuses me when I see their teammate sitting there next to them without one. They kind of line up with drivers I liked and followed not having them, and ones I didn't care for having them. A lot of people are making negative comments about them on various forums. I don't see too many positives with putting political signs on business items/buildings.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike