What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

Hemiram

Agent
Real Name
Barry
A couple come to mind as I'm about to hit the bed..

How anyone can drink coffee. My sister and I grew up with parents who chugged the stuff like it was the greatest thing ever. "You'll like it when you get older!" we were told. At 64 and 70, I don't think so..it's just gross. And we both hate the smell of it, too. Any amount of coffee in something ruins it.

People who put scented oil, candles, "air fresheners", etc in their house. I start clearing my throat almost immediately and it gets worse from there. Same goes for people who load up on perfume/cologne. A friend of mine wears the damn stuff and last week he about killed me when I was in the car with him. A little is ok, more is too much!

My car attracts older guys like flies on a pile of crap. I get asked about it all the time, and so many of them say, "Well, momma would never let me buy a car like yours!", or something similar. C'mon, get something you want, make yourself happy! Screw "momma", let her cry about it. If you can afford it, buy it, if you have kids/grandkids, get a Charger.
ONE guy finally ignored his wife and bought one after lusting over it for a year. Yeah, momma whined about it, but eventually she shut up, and he's happy. He finally got a car he really loves.. My car is below, his is white, because of "Vanishing Point". Of course.
At 62, I finally got a car that's exactly as I wanted it, and it's quicker and faster than almost any of the old muscle cars and doesn't cook in stop and go traffic. the 6.4 is just a great engine..

nCAGtw.jpg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Here are a few things that baffle me:

• Drivers who stop at yield signs and yield at stop signs.
  • Drivers who remain in the passing lane despite cars passing them on the right.
  • People who think rap is music.
Yes it’s always a potential problem about the yield, and who has the right of way. I drive a big rig, and when I see someone on a get-on ramp, I will always try to move over for them (I think people don’t know how to merge onto a highway). The motorists doing the wrong speed in the wrong lane I see every day. Very frustrating.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ve been drinking coffee for about 25 years now. Love it.

I also try to move over if the lane is clear to let someone merge onto the interstate. Although it’s not required by law here, I still try to be nice to other drivers.

I’m baffled by sweet tea and iced tea in general. It tastes funky. I can get down with some hot tea, especially a hot cup of Earl Grey.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't remember which country/region this is from, but iirc it might be germany?

Something about if you want to pass some car(s) on a multilane autobahn, you have to pass on the left ?

(I don't know how they would handle a scenario where it is forbidden/illegal to pass a slow car on the right).

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don't remember which country/region this is from, but iirc it might be germany?

Something about if you want to pass someone on a multilane autobahn, you have to pass on the left ?

(I don't know how they would handle a scenario where it is forbidden/illegal to pass a slow car on the right).
Yep. From what I recall my cousin telling me, you pass on the left then immediately move back to the right. You don’t really have a chance to pass on the right because in Germany, they’re much more intolerant of imbeciles who camp out in the left lane.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A safety tip (I’m pretty sure most people know this already)- refrain from passing a tractor trailer on the right. That’s an accident waiting to happen.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
A safety tip (I’m pretty sure most people know this already)- refrain from passing a tractor trailer on the right. That’s an accident waiting to happen.
Most tractor trailers (except cattle haulers and wood chip trucks) running on a three lane interstate here tend to hang out in the center lane running 60-65, which is below the posted speed limit and is usually slower than both the right and left lanes. The cattle haulers and chip trucks are usually wound up to 90+ and stay in the left lane. I don’t understand why the slow trucks don’t just move to the right then they don’t have to worry about being passed on the right by passenger cars going the speed limit.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Most tractor trailers (except cattle haulers and wood chip trucks) running on a three lane interstate here tend to hang out in the center lane running 60-65, which is below the posted speed limit and is usually slower than both the right and left lanes. The cattle haulers and chip trucks are usually wound up to 90+ and stay in the left lane. I don’t understand why the slow trucks don’t just move to the right then they don’t have to worry about being passed on the right by passenger cars going the speed limit.
Yes trucks running in the wrong lanes is dangerous (not all of us are great drivers, unfortunately). In Ohio, we have a problem where cars and trucks run side by side, which clogs up both lanes. I’ll wink at a truck to get back in the right lane, especially if there are cars behind him in the hammer
(left) lane, and sometimes he won’t move over. Baffling, and annoying.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Yes it’s always a potential problem about the yield, and who has the right of way. I drive a big rig, and when I see someone on a get-on ramp, I will always try to move over for them (I think people don’t know how to merge onto a highway). The motorists doing the wrong speed in the wrong lane I see every day. Very frustrating.

I don't know if it's common practice in other areas of USA, but where I live, it's definitely common practice for drivers to move into the left lane to allow cars to merge from the on-ramp. Despite this, I still see drivers stop when they should have accelerated and merged. Hence, things that baffle me.

Here is a great video explaining why one shouldn't drive slowly in the left lane:

Why you shouldn't drive slowly in the left lane

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't know if it's common practice in other areas of USA, but where I live, it's definitely common practice for drivers to move into the left lane to allow cars to merge from the on-ramp. Despite this, I still see drivers stop when they should have accelerated and merged. Hence, things that baffle me.
That's what's *supposed* to happen everywhere.

While there are exceptions, around here most people seemingly have no clue, often actively blocking someone merging from an on ramp by never pulling over or slowing/accelerating as needed to provide a gap if the left lane is blocked. They also don't know how to properly use on/off ramps, rarely accelerating to highway speed to merge and often beginning to slow 1/2 mile or more away from the off ramp causing traffic back ups.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The worst merge lane arrangement, is when the exact SAME lane is used for both merging AND is also the off-ramp for the next exit. Especially when both are very very busy.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
That's what's *supposed* to happen everywhere.

While there are exceptions, around here most people seemingly have no clue, often actively blocking someone merging from an on ramp by never pulling over or slowing/accelerating as needed to provide a gap if the left lane is blocked. They also don't know how to properly use on/off ramps, rarely accelerating to highway speed to merge and often beginning to slow 1/2 mile or more away from the off ramp causing traffic back ups.
The law actually states that traffic in the right lane should maintain speed and not move over if it’s not safe to do so. It is the responsibility of the vehicle merging onto the interstate to speed up or slow down appropriately to merge onto the interstate.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The law actually states that traffic in the right lane should maintain speed and not move over if it’s not safe to do so. It is the responsibility of the vehicle merging onto the interstate to speed up or slow down appropriately to merge onto the interstate.
I agree, but the drivers in the right lane could behave as if they didn’t own the road.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
How anyone can drink coffee. My sister and I grew up with parents who chugged the stuff like it was the greatest thing ever. "You'll like it when you get older!" we were told. At 64 and 70, I don't think so..it's just gross. And we both hate the smell of it, too. Any amount of coffee in something ruins it.
Blasphemy!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Blasphemy!
I like coffee but as a kid I didn’t it. When I started to drink it regularly, it wasn’t love at first taste. I was also determined to drink it black, I didn’t want to add a lifetime of sugar and cream calories. That’s how I still drink it.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I like coffee but as a kid I didn’t it. When I started to drink it regularly, it wasn’t love at first taste. I was also determined to drink it black, I didn’t want to add a lifetime of sugar and cream calories. That’s how I still drink it.

Same way with me!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Love coffee, though I didn't really get into it until college. Can't drink it black, but need a splash of cream. But can't stand sugar in coffee. I still remember, from years ago, I went through a Dunkin' drive-thru and ordered a coffee with cream. However, I didn't taste it until I was back to my office several miles away and discovered they had given me one with sugar. Yuck! I tried to drink it, but I had to trash it after a couple sips.

Users who are viewing this thread