What's new

Things that baffle you? (2 Viewers)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
But who decides that? Personally, I didn't feel the other one was "needed" but if there's one then why not the other. I would suggest that the OP consider starting this thread.
The purpose of the "gay friendly" thread was to have a thread that discussed movies with a gay theme or some amount of gay content. Since most movies (or tv shows) we discuss her don't have gay content, it seems to me unnecessarily to have a "straight" thread.

My comment said it wasn't needed, but not forbidden. If someone thinks it's necessary have at it.

IMHO

Last edited:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
The purpose of the "gay friendly" thread was to have a thread that discussed movies with a gay theme or some amount of gay content. Since most movies (or tv shows) we discuss her don't have gay content, it seems to me unnecessarily to have a "straight" thread.

My comment said it wasn't needed, but not forbidden. If someone thinks it's necessary have at it.

IMHO

Was there ever a list posted showing what non-gay friendly movies exist? Meaning commercial movies made specifically made to make the gay community mad? Mad enough to need a list of gay friendly movies?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That so many in the press are amazed that the current temps in the midwest are colder than Antarctica. It is mid-summer in Antarctica, so it makes a certain amount of sense that it would be warmer there than in the northern hemisphere which is in the heart of winter.

Come July, I'd bet cash money it'll be colder in Antarctica than Minnesota. :rolleyes:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I guess it's a talking point since the vortex usually just hangs and blows around much farther north almost constantly year in and year out but this year it was one of those rare occasions where it wobbled it's way down south causing the extreme temps. Nature doing it's thing as usual I guess.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Still baffled that people still "blind buy" movies. It's so easy now to just cheaply rent something via streaming or to some extent disc. Why would anyone spend $20, $30 to buy a movie they have NO idea what it's really about nor are super interested in. they just hear a few random folks say online that the movie was "pretty good" so they drop $25 on it and in many cases end up hating the movie.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm still baffled why there will always be people who feel the need to tell others that the personal choices they make in their life are baffling--like they're being careless with their own money. Unless walking in that person's shoes, it is near impossible to suss out their reasoning for whatever action they may take.

Unless someone's own house is perfectly in order...they might want to reconsider unsolicited advice involving others' choices.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I'm baffled by other peoples baffles about other peoples baffles, which as we know are just opinions, nothing more, if any person doesn't like the opinion at hand, just move on. We all have opinions, all of which aren't directed to one particular person.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What I don't like, Johnny, is that you consistently feel a need across the forum to insinuate that people who buy discs are making some kind of mistake.

Yeah. It's your opinion...but this is a hobbyists forum. And I didn't want to just move on.

While it's fine to discuss the merits of physical media vs. streaming (in the appropriate threads), I don't like it (my opinion) when members tell other members their choices are somehow "wrong."

We all make choices in our lives--some of which aren't going to make sense to others--because the others cannot possibly understand all the reasons behind those choices. So, yes, I am baffled whenever someone else is baffled by a personal choice made by another. And, frankly, I think it is bad form to suggest that those people are making a mistake.

If opinions are related in a debate over the efficacy of one media format versus another, and there is a free discourse and exchange of ideas, and a growth of understanding between the participants as to the merits and shortcomings of the issues being discussed, it is a beautiful thing. But if opinions are just thrown out there which could slight a percentage of our membership, I don't think it is helpful at all.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I never ever told someone their choice of how they want to watch media was "wrong". Nor have I stated "your way sucks", "you're doing it wrong" or anything at all similar.

I forgot to mention that I'm just as much of an "enthusiast" as the next guy around here, I just chose to do it a different way than many of them. I was them years ago, buying up discs like candy, using a disc player to watch all my movies, but I have evolved to the next phase of media enjoyment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I never ever told someone their choice of how they want to watch media was "wrong". Nor have I stated "your way sucks", "you're doing it wrong" or anything at all similar.

I forgot to mention that I'm just as much of an "enthusiast" as the next guy around here, I just chose to do it a different way than many of them. I was them years ago, buying up discs like candy, using a disc player to watch all my movies, but I have evolved to the next phase of media enjoyment.
IMO, some of your words implied as such. Perhaps you should just comment about your own purchasing decisions and not what others are doing with their discretionary income.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Why people drink light roast coffee, sometimes marketed as Breakfast Blend or Morning Blend. At that point, you may as well just drink hot water. And taking it a step further, someone in my office was drinking Breakfast Blend Decaf this morning. :blink:

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Along those lines, we have two break rooms and in one a lot of people asked to have the coffee supplier to stock them with what is a fairly premium coffee. In the other break room, the guys who frequent that room said they want JUST Folgers basic coffee in a bag to brew. It's so gross yet they think it's great compared to premium coffee. Nuts I tell ya!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sounds like some of my older family who all love Maxwell House ground or Taster's Choice INSTANT coffee. They all have the means to buy good coffee, but seem to be stuck in the past. I guess that's what they had when they were younger and they're just used to the taste.

I always feel a bit bad if I'm visiting their homes and they offer me a coffee and I turn it down, as they know I'm a big coffee drinker.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Yeah my mom likes her Folgers "Dark Roast" Keurigs but if we offer her some more exotic flavored coffee, she tries it but always leaves more than half the cup still full.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks