What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Bill Cosby’s stand-up albums from 1963 - 1982 are some of the best I have ever heard. I don’t really care what he is charged with or convicted of, it doesn’t change the fact that his stand-up routine for 20 years was hysterical and stands up to repeat listenings.

If you enjoyed his stand-up comedy from that time, and still think it's worth listening to notwithstanding his recent abuse conviction, then I think that bodes well for me to finish his I Spy series as well (I'm 1/3 of the way through it, and I'd dearly love to finish it).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not to mention that Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids is one of the best kids cartoon programs ever produced. Why such an excellent, uplifting, encouraging, all around good, program languishes in the vault while some "modern" dreck airs all day is simply mystifying.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Not to mention that Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids is one of the best kids cartoon programs ever produced. Why such an excellent, uplifting, encouraging, all around good, program languishes in the vault while some "modern" dreck airs all day is simply mystifying.

Not to leave out, also, that the all-in-one of the same is expensive on Amazon: $85!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not to leave out, also, that the all-in-one of the same is expensive on Amazon: $85!
I don't know that I'd call it expensive. It's from Shout! and contains *all* the Fat Albert shows - except for 3 holiday specials (if I'm reading "reviews" properly). That's the original 1972-76 "classic" run, the 1979-80 New Fat Albert Show and the 1984-85 The Adventures of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids show. All on 15 discs. While I'd truly only want the first series I'd also consider purchasing the entire package just so my grandkids could see it.

It's also been ~$60 in the past 6 months (Thanksgiving-Christmas '17) so I can see it dropping again. I'll be keeping my eye on this one. :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I don't know that I'd call it expensive. It's from Shout! and contains *all* the Fat Albert shows - except for 3 holiday specials (if I'm reading "reviews" properly). That's the original 1972-76 "classic" run, the 1979-80 New Fat Albert Show and the 1984-85 The Adventures of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids show. All on 15 discs. While I'd truly only want the first series I'd also consider purchasing the entire package just so my grandkids could see it.

It's also been ~$60 in the past 6 months (Thanksgiving-Christmas '17) so I can see it dropping again. I'll be keeping my eye on this one. :)

Hope you get it and enjoy it!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
If you enjoyed his stand-up comedy from that time, and still think it's worth listening to notwithstanding his recent abuse conviction, then I think that bodes well for me to finish his I Spy series as well (I'm 1/3 of the way through it, and I'd dearly love to finish it).

I remember listening to his comedy albums, early '70s, I was maybe 13-14. They were very good, of course my sense of humor was a bit different that long ago.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Came across this headline today. How in the hell do people get so obese? She lost weight equivalent to almost two of me. Yuck. This is from that goofy Honey Boo Boo show, which thankfully I've never watched.

Mama June Shannon Admits 'I've Gained a Few Pounds' After Dropping 300 Lbs. in From Not to Hot

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Why do people invest a ton of money on devices that don't meet all their needs just because it's been updated and has a specific brand logo on it?

Also, I'm baffled if you will that folks pay for what are basically really lousy movies just because they are in one of the newer or even defunct formats just because they feel they have to own all items in that format regardless. It's so strange to see collector likes that.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Why do people invest a ton of money on devices that don't meet all their needs just because it's been updated and has a specific brand logo on it?

Also, I'm baffled if you will that folks pay for what are basically really lousy movies just because they are in one of the newer or even defunct formats just because they feel they have to own all items in that format regardless. It's so strange to see collector likes that.

I love 3D but I only buy the movies I like. No way I'd shell out money for The Force Awakens or Solo. Life is waaay too short for that BS.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The phrase "resting bitch face."

I'm not sure what "resting" has to do with anything. You just got "bitch face" IMO. ;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The baffles I mention remind me of this guy

The advertisements for new car replacement I think are misleading. “Get enough money to buy a new car” they say or something like that. They also say “with new care replacement” so that means you have to get a supplement for the insurance which means an added fee. Seems like the customer is paying the accident surcharge without having the accident.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Went to vote today and I was 5th in line so got a spot by the door, but the crowds soon followed. So I'm standing on what is basically a big cement patio with sidewalk edge that wraps around the church. I glance around and noticed that the people behind me are basically lining up in a straight line that has started spilling into the parking lot. WTF? I commented to my line neighbor how it baffles me that folks can't figure out how to form a safe line, in this case all they needed to do was get out of the street and stand along the edge of the long long church sidewalk that goes around the building. The guy was Mr. Outgoing so he stepped out and told everyone "HEY FOLKS! let's maybe line up over HERE on the sidewalk and get out of the parking lot so nobody gets hurt"

I was amused watching them all have that look of .."Uhhhh oh yeahhhh, good idea" :)

Line started just to the left of that clock tower looking thing..

streetview

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
What absolutely amazes my wife and I is that people don’t vote in what in Canada is called the advanced poll. In every election a few polls are set up a week or two before Election Day and you can vote there at your leasure.

We go, walk in and usually find we are the only ones there. (Perhaps I shouldn’t be telling people about this!) We vote and leave. There is no hastle, crowds or line ups.

I know in my parents day, you used to have to show evidence of travel plans or airplane tickets to prove you could not vote on election day. This is no longer a requirement and advanced voting is fully open to everyone. Why don’t people take advantage of it?

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
In our town they only offer 2 locations to early vote. One is downtown so not convenient since most of the folks live way on opposite end of town. So that leaves one library to handle any masses that show up and it takes forever.

Plus it's a bit harder for the boss to go along with someone being gone for an extended time when it's not technically election day. On actual election days, they send out a note that it's fine to take time off to go vote that day.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What absolutely amazes my wife and I is that people don’t vote in what in Canada is called the advanced poll. In every election a few polls are set up a week or two before Election Day and you can vote there at your leasure.

We go, walk in and usually find we are the only ones there. (Perhaps I shouldn’t be telling people about this!) We vote and leave. There is no hastle, crowds or line ups.

I know in my parents day, you used to have to show evidence of travel plans or airplane tickets to prove you could not vote on election day. This is no longer a requirement and advanced voting is fully open to everyone. Why don’t people take advantage of it?
Procrastination. Early voting is available in many places in the U.S., too, as far as I know, no questions asked. But seemingly people still would rather stand in long lines on Election Day when it's "now or never."

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I voted early at the local courthouse on a Saturday morning. I was the only voter there, in and out in 5 minutes. A lot of states also allow you to print and mail an absentee ballot if you will be unable to vote in person on Election Day.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Baffled to read how deeply involved some folks get when they think a logo or credit roll from say a studio isn't EXACTLY perfectly rendered on a DVD's end or beginning credits. I mean down to the square inch they are critiqued and analyzed, the color, how fast it fades from the screen, tiny edge of screen errors, and so on. They aren't focused on the actual TV show or movie on the disc, it's pages and pages of discussions complaining about logos, credits, font sizes, color, size, etc.

It boggles the mind how the tiniest of things that most viewers wouldn't think twice about are picked at with a fine tooth comb for days and days online..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks