What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Why families schedule holiday meals for odd times outside the regular meal schedule?

Holiday dinners in my family are usually scheduled somewhere around 2 to 3PM. I'd much rather eat around Noon or 5-6PM. With dinner at 2PM, you're starved because you don't dare eat lunch, then you gorge yourself at 2PM, only to end up hungry again at bedtime.

Is it just my family that does this? I've never understood it.

It actually makes sense to me. I like being starved for the big meal. As for being hungry later, that's when you can have the pumpkin pie. :)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Amen, 1000% yes.

Also, those who don't understand "right on red". It's Driver's Ed 101, people.

Until about a year before I got my license in '84, it was illegal to make a right turn on red where I lived. It took a while for people to get used to it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Until about a year before I got my license in '84, it was illegal to make a right turn on red where I lived. It took a while for people to get used to it.
There are still people here that don't understand the concept.

Then there are the people who do not understand how a 4-way stop works. i.e. who has right-of-way.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
There is an intersection in Little Rock where right on red is still illegal.

Over the past couple of years, I have become very fond of all the roundabouts popping up in a city near me. Now I cringe whenever I have to stop at one of the dozen or so red lights on my way to work every morning.

Stan

Senior HTF Member

Over the past couple of years, I have become very fond of all the roundabouts popping up in a city near me. Now I cringe whenever I have to stop at one of the dozen or so red lights on my way to work every morning.

We've started to get roundabouts installed here. So simple to just follow the rules. First time I used one, this blond woman turns left and almost hits me. There are arrows everywhere telling you which way to go. Ugh...... Stupid drivers all over, be careful.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Which intersection is that?

As for roundabouts, I like them but many in LR are challenged by the concept. ;)

Just recently not far from me, there was a drug deal gone bad, and a high speed chase began. One idiot chasing another. They made it through the first roundabout (how?) but not the second. No serious injuries but jail time will be involved.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I think of roundabouts in the US I think of something smaller than that.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Which intersection is that?

Correction: It’s actually in North Little Rock. If I remember correctly - Going south on JFK, it is illegal (or it used to be the last time I went through there a few years ago) to turn right on red onto Main St. to get on the I-40 West entrance ramp.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Amen, 1000% yes.

Also, those who don't understand "right on red". It's Driver's Ed 101, people.

depends on where you are at, my brother-in-law and i were in NYC (Jamaica), and did this to get in to a Home Depot, and he got a ticket, the cop said there it was against the law to do anything except stop for a red light to do that, so be careful, it doesn't apply everywhere

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It baffles me that it's not legal country wide. It's just plain common sense.
I just popped into the thread at this message and thought Howie was referring to something else, but then I read the message above his. I'll let you guess as to what I thought he was referring to. :wacko:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
When cable channels run franchise movies out of sequence, or just randomly run a part 2 or 3 without part 1. This weekend there was a channel showing only Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, without showing the first or last films. I also often see LOTR: Two Towers or Return of the King on the schedule without showing Fellowship.

Then there was one running Jurassic Park III, then, after that, JP: The Lost World. Now there's not a lot of continuity between those two films, but if you're running both films, why not at least show them in order?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
When cable channels run franchise movies out of sequence, or just randomly run a part 2 or 3 without part 1. This weekend there was a channel showing only Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, without showing the first or last films. I also often see LOTR: Two Towers or Return of the King on the schedule without showing Fellowship.

Then there was one running Jurassic Park III, then, after that, JP: The Lost World. Now there's not a lot of continuity between those two films, but if you're running both films, why not at least show them in order?
Yet another reason why I cut the cord 7 years ago, and have never looked back.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Why, when someone is convicted of as serious a crime as Bill Cosby was, people suddenly insist that every show and film that person ever did is to be off-limits now, not worth seeing. I mean, I could very well see that people wouldn't like The Cosby Show anymore (because Bill played a character in it that was opposite to how he really was [IINM]), but what I'm worried about is that some will think that not only should no one see The Cosby Show anymore, but that even I Spy isn't worth seeing anymore (and that just because Bill Cosby was even in it, notwithstanding the character he played in that 1965-68 NBC adventure series alongside the late Robert Culp). Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just how I'm assessing it.

Hemiram

Agent
Real Name
Barry
I think it's ridiculous too. There are a lot of good shows and movies with people in them who in real life were pretty much scumbags. Druggies, kiddie diddlers, spouse abusers, etc. So what? They played a part in a movie or series and that's all.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Bill Cosby’s stand-up albums from 1963 - 1982 are some of the best I have ever heard. I don’t really care what he is charged with or convicted of, it doesn’t change the fact that his stand-up routine for 20 years was hysterical and stands up to repeat listenings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks