What's new

Things that baffle you? (5 Viewers)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Same here.

With our hot/humid summers and at times bitter cold winters, it wears car batteries out quick.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Car batteries around here last about three or four years, due to the climate. Eighteen is crazygonuts!

It's one of those crazy "Energizer Bunny" things. Replaced the alternator a few times, oil changes, brakes, etc. Never have had a tune-up (has those platinum, live forever spark-plugs), never needed to have an alignment, still has every original light bulb, haven't had to replace any of them.

Even with the brakes, it's a front wheel drive car, yet the front brakes are still original, only had to do the rear ones a few times. It's showing it's age, I'm really in the mood for something newer, but it just keeps going.

Sadly the inside driver's door handle broke last week. We had extremely cold temps and something inside the door broke. I can still use it, but maybe a sign that it's time for an upgrade.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Oh, it's much more than just that.
As I've stated in my previous post, I haven't actually seen LA LA LAND, so I'm just going by word of mouth, which admittedly usually doesn't tell the full story. Your take obviously has more substance than mine, at this point.

On the other hand, I would expect any film with 14 Oscar nominations to either be something done on a grand epic scale like BEN-HUR (1959) (Yes, I know it had only 12 nominations!) or TITANIC (1997), or at least has a ton of substance to it, story and performance wise, such as ALL ABOUT EVE (1950)!

CHEERS! :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But aren't you being quick to question the movie's "substance" Tony...without having seen it? How could you possibly decide that it doesn't live up to your expectations of what a "14 nomination film" should be?
confused-smiley-004.gif

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
But aren't you being quick to question the movie's "substance" Tony...without having seen it? How could you possibly decide that it doesn't live up to your expectations of what a "14 nomination film" should be?
confused-smiley-004.gif
I'm not saying LA LA LAND wouldn't live up to my expectations, or at least be at a level where bagging 14 Oscar nominations seems understandable. Only that it's a pretty rare thing for any film to bag 14 Academy Award nominations. To be honest, the film's title doesn't exactly scream either epic or substance to me, but I recognize that's my own hang up, so to speak! Don't get me wrong, Mike. At some point, I DO want to see this film, as I enjoy musicals to a degree, and DO certainly appreciate those that are well done! On that note, I suppose knowing that many great musicals of the past didn't get anywhere close to 14 Oscar nominations (Heck, I believe SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952) only got 2!), figures into my struggle to sort out how LA LA LAND got 14, but I suppose making comparisons from 2 vastly different eras is a bit apples to oranges!

It occurs to me that other HTF members might be baffled over our argument? ;) Just some healthy banter! :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
To be honest, the film's title doesn't exactly scream either epic or substance to me, but I recognize that's my own hang up, so to speak!

You're basing any part of your opinion of the film's Oscar worthiness on it's title?

I think you might agree that the title "All About Eve" probably didn't mean much to people either...until after they saw the picture.

You should lower your expectations for LLL. Music is meh, no one can sing.

And some people think Ben-Hur is a film about a chariot race. :D

While I really liked La La Land, I'm not advocating that it deserves 14 nominations (let alone a big number of wins). I just don't understand some of the comments I'm reading here today. The Oscar's are so damn subjective...as is any rating of art. But people at least need to see the art before commenting on it's "worthiness." Outside of impact on future box office, Oscar noms/wins are pretty much useless in the long haul--except for maybe keeping certain films in the public consciousness longer than some might think is appropriate.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
You should lower your expectations for LLL. Music is meh, no one can sing.
Well, LA LA LAND does seem to be lacking at least a bit in the near universal appeal one might associate with a 14 Oscar nominated film! My own expectation is that any film with that many nominations should be of a special breed, which presumably would include near universal appeal, at least during its initial release (TITANIC (1997) has admittedly, taken a pretty significant critical drubbing in more recent times, but initially enjoyed near universal appeal on its way to becoming a 14 times Oscar nominated film!). Just my opinion!

Somehow, being told that I should lower my expectations of a film doesn't scream 14 Oscar nomination worthiness!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Again, I feel the need to reiterate that I'm NOT saying LA LA LAND is definitely unworthy of 14 Oscar nominations, and I also DID acknowledge the title issue is my own hang up, as opposed to it being an actual correct means of gauging a film's merit.

I also agree that, in order for me to gauge LA LA LAND properly for my own opinion, I need to view it from start to finish, which to date, I have not done.

Yes, I do agree that the Oscars aren't always an accurate gauge of a film's worthiness. However, for me at least, a film garnering 14 Academy Award nominations should at the least be fairly indicative of something exceptionally special, which isn't quite the message I'm getting based on the word of mouth. Very good and well worth seeing, yes, but not exceptional, is the general message I seem to be gleaning!

I concede that I may very well be overthinking this, and my preconceived criteria is most likely at least somewhat flawed! It is what it is, which is merely one person's subjective opinion.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You're basing any part of your opinion of the film's Oscar worthiness on it's title?

I think you might agree that the title "All About Eve" probably didn't mean much to people either...until after they saw the picture.

And some people think Ben-Hur is a film about a chariot race. :D

While I really liked La La Land, I'm not advocating that it deserves 14 nominations (let alone a big number of wins). I just don't understand some of the comments I'm reading here today. The Oscar's are so damn subjective...as is any rating of art. But people at least need to see the art before commenting on it's "worthiness." Outside of impact on future box office, Oscar noms/wins are pretty much useless in the long haul--except for maybe keeping certain films in the public consciousness longer than some might think is appropriate.
I want to make it clear, I have seen the film. Some here may be wish-washy about seeing the film from the less than enthusiastic comments made by a viewer or two. My reaction to the film is my reaction, YMMV.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, right.
When the choice is between an actor who can best perform the part but isn't a trained singer and a trained singer who is only bringing her voice, it is right. I'm not even the biggest cheerleader of La La Land but whatever Emma Stone lacked in her singing, she more than made up for in other aspects of her performance.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When the choice is between an actor who can best perform the part but isn't a trained singer and a trained singer who is only bringing her voice, it is right. I'm not even the biggest cheerleader of La La Land but whatever Emma Stone lacked in her singing, she more than made up for in other aspects of her performance.
How about dubbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    blitz
    Recent bookmarks