What's new

Things I wish I would have done differently in my project (1 Viewer)

vinman

Auditioning
Real Name
vin
Buy a house that would contain my Home Theater on the main floor of the house without having to segregate the whole thing to the basement or a dedicated theater room where the sitting arrangement often feels like being in a church staring at the screen as if it was an altar.

Integrate my Home theater with my living space to co-exist mutually in design and decor on the main floor of the house and setup an everyday viewing area with a 50 inch TV that will accommodate a dozen people and at the flick of a remote control transform the same area into a projection theater while controlling the light sources.

Conceal all the components while making them (and all the wiring including the power wires)accessible and easily removed or retrofitted while incorporating all current technology : audio, video, satellite, internet ,games etc. and leave room for future technology to come.

Automate the house to be selfsufficient and off the grid when necessary.

bert lancaster

Auditioning
Real Name
bret lasater
definitely soundproofing and sub floor. and acoustic isolation in the bar to keep the glasses from rattling

movieman58

Auditioning
Real Name
fred tonne
yeshu said:
Hi Guys,
I am new buyer of HT. I am buying the system from Dell, is it any good. I will let you know what i am buying tomorrow as i will be getting a quote from Dell tomorrow.
Please reply to me. It's little bit urgent.
Thanks guys
Yesh
The Dell home system is just like their computers...GARBAGE. I can tell you from experience.

movieman58

Auditioning
Real Name
fred tonne
Great thread, I have a question.

Some have said they wish they would have installed a subfloor because they lose the bass and feel from the subwoofer. If you don't install a subfloor and only have carpet and pad would adding a second subwoofer in the rear of the room compensate for this??

Thanks.

LeRoy_B

Auditioning
Originally Posted by movieman58 /t/204901/things-i-wish-i-would-have-done-differently-in-my-project/120#post_3529916
Great thread, I have a question.
Some have said they wish they would have installed a subfloor because they lose the bass and feel from the subwoofer. If you don't install a subfloor and only have carpet and pad would adding a second subwoofer in the rear of the room compensate for this??
Thanks.
+1

Solution to the Bass issue is to get more subwoofer...I have a single Yamaha YST-1500 12" 1000Watt sub in my 16 X 29 space, corner loaded and it does the job well. My floor is slab concrete with felt/berber carpeting.

Real Name
Jason Carney
I have many things I would do different. 1st is to use sound proofing in my ceiling (HT room is in basement). 2nd is to run speaker wire, RCA, HDMI, and power to a couple of ectra spot for the future. 3rd is pay more attention to lighting, not the placement but the kind of lighting. I used regular pot lights and I should have found something that was less prone to rattling. 4th install wall plates for RCA and speaker lines.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I got a pro to set up my projector and screen and do all the wiring, so I'm lucky. It all works perfect! No regrets.I've got a slab floor with linoleum and the bass is great. It helps to have a good sub. I've got a top of the line Sunfire and I have to pull the volume back or I start earthquakes!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I have yet to attempt a dedicated setup, but current notes include:
In smaller rooms where you want a 7.1 setup, go with height channels up front.
Banana plugs are much easier to deal with in hookups than bare speaker wire ends.
HDMI can be a wonderful thing.

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
I built my TV stand myself as well as the other tables in the living room, because I got the materials free from work and it was fun for both the wife and I. But at the time I did not expect to build a system because we are in a townhouse at the moment. After I read, watched, talked, slept and ate home theater for the past 6 months my wife told me to go out and get started with it, lucky me :D. So now I have a custom made tv stand that has no way to place a center channel speaker actually center with the TV. I have bookshelf speakers and nothing to set them on by the TV. Ill have to find time to make another stand..

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
I didn't listen when told "Do not install equipment until the HT is completed". 2 months later we still have the HVAC to complete, hallway needs ceiling completed, a ton of acoustic panels need to be made for walls and ceiling, electrical switches and outlets need to be tidied up, stage needs carpet on the front edge, soffits need insulation in them, bottom panels for soffits need to be made, projector is still not mounted permanently, side surround columns have not been made, and trim around the rope LEDs needs to be finished.

John Brazier

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Hi All, I am in the process if putting together the best HT I can afford and included in my home renovation. Its a Control4 centered system with Paradigm Elite in-walls, subs and Anthem electronics. There will be two TV rooms and one will be the "main" home theater, family, living area.

As of now, the main system will have a Sony 65" A1E and the second TV will be my existing Pioneer Elite Plasma crica 2009. My issue: I don't want to "wish I had" gone with a 75" TV, but if I do, I would have to step down to the next level TV, i.e. a 75" XBR.

Q: Get the 65" A1E or a 75" XBR?

As an Fyi, I am a movie and tv fan, my gaming is really limited to Gran Tourismo. While my girls will play lots of games, they don't get a say in the picture quality for gaming..

Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Without looking up the two models, is that a difference between an LED illuminated LCD and an OLED? To me, giving up 10" for an OLED would be a no brainer. I'd go OLED.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Personally if the price is prohibitive I'd recommend a 75"cheap FALD today like a Vizio P-75 and wait for the price to fall on OLED.

I've got a FALD sony 940e now and I dig it, but the price of that is a bit above a cheap(er) but still very good Vizio

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I wish I would have run two HDMI cables to my projector because now I have to rip the ceiling open to run a second one. I remember going back and fourth and decided against it since everything was going to run through my receiver. Come to think of it maybe I should have done a dropped ceiling too.

Eve Babcock

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eve Babcock
Divorced my wife.
(JUST kidding, Dear!
htf_images_smilies_biggrin.gif
)
lol

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
If I had the project to do all over again, I would have expanded the side walls another 6 feet instead of having a walk/storage space on both sides of the screening room. I might could have put a 16 foot wide 2:35:1 screen up instead of the 12 foot screen I have now. Oh well, hindsight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks