What's new

Thin mini-itx internal power and ATX power supply (1 Viewer)

Asmodee

Auditioning
Real Name
Kirby
I bought the wrong motherboard a couple of months ago, an Asus Q170T/CSM, and decided "What the hell? I'll make an HTPC!" So I started doing research and bought some more parts. One of those parts was the Corsair Obsidian 250D case, which has room for a full size ATX PSU. If I don't use a full size ATX PSU I have a big, gaping hole in the back of the case with no panel to cover it. So guess what? I'm using a full size ATX PSU (Antec 500W, way overkill, I know).

Now I need to power this motherboard and it has two options. One is an external power cord, the other is the internal 2 pin header which will take either 19v or 12v. Since I'll have an ATX PSU in it that's what I want to power it with. I might run into problems powering different parts with different power supplies since they may not share a common ground.

SO, what I need is a cable to convert the 4 pin CPU power or the 20/24 pin main power to this 2 pin header. Like I said, the motherboard will take 12v on this connector, so voltage won't be an issue. I cannot find such a cable anywhere. In fact, this internal header seems to be a bit like Bigfoot. I've looked and looked and can't find any real information on it anywhere. Any suggestions? Anyone here have the Molex crimpers, pins and ends who could make/sell me one? It's a simple cable. Maybe 4 wires into 2 pins, just to make sure it supplies enough wattage. The CPU may be 65W or higher, depending on what I find cheap and whether I also want to do some rudimentary gaming on this thing. Thanks.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Kirby, as much as Santa hates to send shoppers away from Macys, you might have much better luck asking this question at www.hardforum.com or another PC enthusiast site. Maybe someone here can answer it but I doubt it!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The "P4" connector delivers dual dedicated 12v outputs, but it's 4 pins (or might be a split 4 pin with your PS - if so, it should come apart to become 2 4 pin connectors). Is the MB configured so this connector can be plugged into the 2 pin header? Basically, will it pug in properly? If so, let the non-used side just hang there.

Asmodee

Auditioning
Real Name
Kirby
Thanks for trying, but no connector on an ATX PSU would connect to this. And I started thinking about startup and shutdown. Without the extra pins there would be no way to switch the PSU on and off. I think an ATX PSU simply won't work for this, even with some adapter. I now have a 150W external power supply for it. It will make it quieter with less heat inside the case anyway. It's a pain in the butt, but I'm going to have to use a Dremel to cut the back off an ATX power supply to use as the back plate in this case so that there isn't a big, gaping hole in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks