Thin Man series on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryA, Sep 26, 2001.

1. GaryA

GaryA Auditioning

Does anyone know if the wonderful Thin Man series, starring William Powell, Myrna Loy and Asta, will make it to DVD soon? Who owns the rights? I would love to buy a box set of all 6 films.

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

No dvds yet, no rumors, no idea when. Your best hope right now is the excellent LD box set of all six films. Be prepared to spend some money though.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Warner owns the rights to these films which explains why they are not on DVD.
    I have the box set on laserdisc, but I feel bad that this great series can't be seen by Thin Man lovers on DVD.

4. Joel Turpin

Joel Turpin Agent

Despite the ? in the subject, I was hoping against hope that this was some rumor of an announcement. Without an LD player, I'm relegated to the VHS versions that my dad taped off of TMC for me a couple of years back.
    I fell in love with this series as a kid when my dad took me to our local fine arts theater for a double feature. We went for the first feature, "Robin and Marion", and only stayed for the second because I didn't want to go home yet. It ended up being "The Thin Man", and I've been a fan ever since. Outside of "Seven Samurai", it's my most vivid memory of a movie at that theater.
    Anyway, here's to hoping that Warner gets off their duff and puts them out. Definitely a series which I'd purchase.
    Joel

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

You can't beat the combination of William Powell, Myrna Loy, and Asta! Come on Warner, give us a Thin Man box set!
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

6. Art_AD

Art_AD Stunt Coordinator

When the "Thin Man" films get released it would be nice if they can include some of the episodes of the 1950's tv series with Peter Lawford. I don't know why studios are unwilling to put these tv shows out with their respective films (Father of the Bride , Please Don't Eat the Daises, Logan's Run, Meet Me in St. Louis TV movie, etc)seems like a missed opportunity. Also the Rediscovering Myrna Loy LD collection contains Manhattan Melodrama & I Love You Again (A great film) with William Powell.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    After WB releases the Dirty Harry Collection, they will have pretty much exhausted all of their "modern" franchises. Hopefully, they will then turn their attention to vintage classics such as the Thin Man series. I'm not holding my breath, though. They have yet to put out a single Errol Flynn or Fred Astaire movie and the closest they have come to a James Cagney title to date is "Mr. Roberts". They have a lot of catching up to do.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA
    [Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on September 26, 2001 at 12:16 PM]

8. Dave Hensley

Dave Hensley Auditioning

This is at the top of my want list now. My wife and I are waiting with bated martini-shaker for these...