What's new

thiel speakers anyone? (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i was in atlanta this weekend and had a chance to listen to the thiel cs1.6 and cs2.3 speakers. the 2.3's were clearly better in my opinion. i can probably get them for around $2700-$2800 however i see thiel cs3.6 speakers all over audiogon for between $1600-$2000. unfortunately, the dealer did not have any 3.6's so i can't comment on how much better they might be. does anybody here have experience with the cs3.6's versus the cs2.3's? if it's any help, my room is 14' x 17' x 10', amps are aragon 8008bb and 8008x3b, and my pre-pro is a ead theatermaster encore. any insight would be greatly appreciated.

kevin t

Kevin T

Screenwriter
nobody here owns or auditions thiel speakers? well...you are doing yourselves quite a disservice then!

kevin t

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Unless I'm completely mistaken, I think LarryB owns (or has owned) Thiel. You could try contacting him.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Jim Thiel is a an extraordinary speaker designer who is highly respected in the high-end audio community.

The reason so many 3.6's are on sale is that they use an older technology. The 2.3's (which use the newer technology) are, in my opinion, one of the best speakers in their price range. I like them considerably more than the comparably priced (and infinitely more popular) B&W 804's. (Just as I like my CS6's much more than the similarly priced B&W 802's.) I heard the new 1.6's at the HE show in NYC and they sounded quite good, though it didn't hurt that they were being driven by top-notch electronics. If you can afford the 2.3's, get them. If you can't, go with the 1.6's. Either way, you will have a speaker that will be significantly better for music than most other brands.

Hope that helps.

Larry

James Tg

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin:

I agree with Larry. I have own a pair of Thiel CS2.3 since 1998, and consider them one of the best speakers in the price range. I also auditioned CS3.6 before purchasing 2.3. 3.6 has a little bit more bass than 2.3, but 2.3 is a clear winner in mid and high. 2.3 is a newer design, and 3.6 has been in market since 1993 (alsmost 10 years so far). Based on my experience, 2.3 is a no brainer winner. If you need more deep bass, you can simply add a subwoofer. Or, you can wait for 3.7. I have called Thiel several times regarding 3.7. It might be available soon, but I am not sure.

James

Kevin T

Screenwriter
thanks guys...i am seriously considering the 2.3's but just wanted insight on the 3.6's since i have none available to listen to in my area. now i just need to figure out what to use for rears? 1.6's perhaps?

kevin t

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I wonder where Phil A is? I'm fairly certain that he's a big Theil enthusiast. I've auditioned some Theil lower end stuff at my local hi-end shop and if I had the dinero I'd buy some. But alas I'll never have that kind of dollarinios for speakers.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Philip - thanks for the E-Mail. I replied to it. I have been busy. I retired at the end of the year and am doing things I never had a chance to do. Just came back from the Home Entertainment Show in NY. I am putting back together my main system after extensive chopping apart walls to wire for a Sharp 9000, painting, etc. Just waiting for a new preamp and making my cables right now. I have previously owned 2.3s and currently have 7.2s, an MCS1 center, Power Points for the rears and will use as SCS2 as the rear center. In my bedroom, I have 3 SCS2s in the front. I listen to other things to. I have B&Ws waiting for me to use in the basement after I finish the main room. The 2.3s are a great speaker at the price as are the 1.6s. The 1.6s are $2k list in the plain black finish. The 3.6 is an older design and will be discontinued shortly. Jim Thiel is working on the 3.7 and I expect this by the end of the year. Also expect early next year that they will have a cheaper center/surround that will be made to mate with the 1.6s for about $900 each list. The tweeter for the 1.6 they actually buy from the far east. It is about all they have in their line that is not made in house at this point. Actually the 1.6s sound great with a VTL integrated amp (IT-85, 80WPC) like they were made for each other and it is not crazy expensive like the stuff at the show. The 1.6s are also a lot more efficient than the 2.3s and probably are not as pciky with electronics and cabling either. Thiels can sound very bad with bad source material and a bad front end. My B&Ws are much more forgiving. I think almost every speaker even to play music needs a sub to be able to play bass from the technology (SACD, DVD-A) available today without distortion at decent listening levels. I even use 2 Rel Storm IIIs (so I get stereo in music and distributed ".1" in theater) on the 7.2s. Thiels like power, the 1.6 is a little different animal. My friend who works part time at the local audio shop still has 2.3s and he does not have the biggest room and just sold his Bryston 9B-ST, since it is discontinued and will be replaced with a higher power (20% more) model and is opting for the 6B up front for more power (300WPC 8 ohms, 500 WPC into 4). He could get by for music with less but theater is a little more demanding. My room is 2 stories (19ft. high) opens into other places and is about 16x20 and I had a Bryston 4B-ST at one point (250WPC into 8 and 400 in 4) and it was pushing it (I now have a Proceed HPA 3 up front, which will soon be discontinued, 500WPC into 4). The Aragons I believe are true mono designs and are 200WPC into 8 and 400WPC into 4 and you should be fine with the possible exception of the Telarc 1812 Overture. I am also recovering since I helped my friend deliver Levinson 33Hs the other night. They make my 115lb. Proceed HPA3 feel like a paper weight.

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with JamesTG!

Both speakers have great mid range but I liked the extra kick the 3.6's give. As for using Aragon amps, according to Thiel's website they mention Aragon amps as good performers with Thiels. In this price range my favorite speakers are the Revel F30's. I like really tight/kicking bass and the F30's do a better job then the 3.6's BUT if the 3.6's were a woman, I wouldn't kick her out of bed!!!

PhilA,

GREAT Setup!! Do you feel the MCS1 is up to par with the 7.2's? I guess I am in the mindset of How can a 2200.00 center channel perform with $13K towers? I heard the CS6/MCS1/Powerplates powered by the new Krell HTS setup and found it to be a great match.

Mike

James Tg

Stunt Coordinator
Phil:

How is your experience with SCS and MCS? I am looking for a good CC and rear speakers for my Thiel, and auditioned a SCS2 and MCS 1 in a local dealer. However, there are not too impressive to me. The dealer wanted to sell me a used SCS2 for $650 + tax, but I did not take it. Does SCS 3 have some improvement over SCS 2? I am using Paradigm Reference Studio CC and ADP. I really like to know your opinion on SCS and MCS. Also, what is your opinion for a CC to match my 2.3 other than SCS or MCS?

James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks