Thiel Power Points

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Stephen M, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

I have a Martin Logan 5 channel HT setup, but not matching speakers in the rear due to space restrictions behind the seating position (about 5 feet from back of couch to back wall with a computer work station and six foot storage cabinet too). The Powerpoints seem an inspired if expensive solution to this problem since they can be easily mounted on the ceiling for surround duty. I have no room for stand or floor models in the rear and I do not care for the available ML surround choices. Anyone with experience with the Powerpoints in your system? Thanks.[​IMG]

2. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

Stephen,
    I have not had the PowerPoints in my system but I have heard them and they are pretty awesome. But you're right they are very expensive in my opinion. I would love to have 2 to hang on the ceiling for my rear speakers but I'm looking for something a little cheaper and who knows maybe a couple will pop up on audiogon one of these days. Good luck with your decision and I hope there will be others who can give you more info from experience.

Mike

3. Stephen M

Thanks Mike. I have seen the Powerpoints from time to time on Audiogon but oddly enough usually only one speaker was offered. On the other end of the price scale, I am also considering the Mirage Omnisats. They run about $500 a pair and their dispersion pattern would seem to be very good for surrounds. I have heard them in Chicago and I am not too impressed with them as main speakers due to the rather reverberant nature of their sound. However, they are small and would be easy to ceiling-mount. Anyone else know about these or the Thiels?

4. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

Stephen,
    Somewhat in between in price would be the JMLabs Sibs. These are the others I'm considering if they really do hang on the ceiling. I need to go back to my dealer to listen and make sure they can be hung from the ceiling so this is another option. I did not like the OmniStats at all when I listened to them, but that's just my opinion.

Mike

5. Stephen M

What did you not like about the Omnisats? I like the Sibs too and would consider them.

6. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

Stephen,
    I guess the Omnistats sounded tinny and weak. Maybe it was the room or setup but I was not really impressed. I guess I'll have to listen to the Sibs and go back and listen to the Omnistats again just to be sure. My only problem is deciding if the PowerPoints will be worth the extra money and hope maybe a used pair will come up on audiogon.

Mike