What's new

Thick and deep speakers for under 1000.00 (klipsch?) (1 Viewer)

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I'm in the market for new floorstanding speakers. They are going to be used in my HT, but the primary use will be for direct stereo play. I listen to a lot of rock music and would like them to handle bass without sounding boomy, or feeling too far in the backround. I'm thinking that the woofers will probably have to be in the 8-10" range to get the sound i'm looking for. I've had suggestions to look into klipsch but I haven't purchased new speakers in a long time, other than the klipsch sub I bought a few years back. I'm open to all suggestions.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Here are a few to wet your whistle. I'm familiar with these and have owned a couple (or one's close to them). They all represent a good value, but there are so many more to choose from. Let your ear's decide.

PSB T65
A well respected brand.

Polk RTi12 Brite to my ears, but huge and about 1/2 price.

JBL Studio L-890 I'm sure they're an un-authorized seller, but it's a good price.

Axiom M60 Another well known internet brand.

Swan 6.1 Perhaps the one that started it all?

Athena LS 500 On the cheap.

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
thanks for the help

I'm suprised that the larger woofer is 8". I always figured most stereo speakers would have at least 10" woofers, especially for rock music. Is there any of these you would recommend for rock music with lots of drumming?
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

A lot of AWSOMe speakers tend to leave me a bit dissapointed because the drum track seems small.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I really couldn't because when I'm looking at speakers I have a completely different set of criteria. I look for smooth vocals, crisp but not over-bearing highs and all that "soundstage", "stereo separation" and "imaging" stuff that I think I can recognize but can't seem to explain. Sorry for the "thanks for nuthin
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
" answer but anything else would be like throwin' darts.

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
haha no no, i appreciate any type of response. I enjoy trying to describe which cannot be described
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I'm messing around with my 2808 and settings with the sub and what not, and im starting to think differently about what I may actually want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks