What's new

They should call it Yellow-ray (1 Viewer)

Autoengineer2

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I have an issue with my BDP-S350 Sony Blu-ray player where Blu-ray movies have way too much yellow in them. I have the player going through a HDMI cable to my Mitsubishi 65" DLP TV. The strange thing is that my 1080i Satellite TV picture color is perfect and the when I play regular DVD discs in the BDP-S350, the color is also perfect so I know its not the TV or the cable. Only when I play actual Blu-ray discs do I see the problem. Its especially noticeable in outdoor scenes. I've been able to pretty much fix the issue by going into the TV settings and reducing the amount of yellow in the picture. Anyone else see a problem like this? Anyone have an explanation? Thanks.

AaronPo

Grip
Real Name
Aaron Porter
Have you actually tried a different cable? I know you think it's not the cable, but I would try that first! Until you eliminate that it may always be your problem! I haven't had any problems with my sony blu-ray player.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Scott - It could be as simple as that HDMI input on your tv needs to be calibrated. Many tvs come with inputs which can be independently calibrated for the source being fed to them. Try swapping for a cheap cable or using a different HDMI input on the tv (if available) and see if things change. If so, it's the input you are using and you should be able to use a BD copy of Digital Video Essentials to perform a basic set-up and calibration to get the picture straightened out.

If the picture does not change when you switch HDMI inputs, there could be a problem with the HDMI cable or your BD player itself.

Autoengineer2

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I thought about what you had said about it could be the cable but I was pretty sure that the cable should be good since I bought it brand new; however, it did remind me of a concern I had when I plugged the blue-ray player in. I had had the TV for a couple years before I bought the blu-ray player. (DLP's were the main sellers at the time). The HDMI2 input was not covered on the TV and it was pretty dusty 2 years later when I plugged the blu-ray HDMI cable in. Well today I pulled out the cable, blew some air into the input and onto the cable end. Plugged it back in and the problem was gone! The yellow tint was gone on blu-ray dics and not only that, but the picture was much less grainy AND the colors were more vibrant. The best explanation I can come up with is that the dust was adding some impedance to the connection that impacted the higher speed 1080p signal more so than the slower 480i signal from the regular DVD's. I will give this advice....if you buy a piece of equipment and have unused inputs. Place a piece of electrical tape or something over them to keep them clean! One more thing. Anyone have a way to clean HDMI inputs other than blowing air into them? Thanks.

smartpig

Auditioning
Real Name
ssdd
Documentary perhaps went to the cinema because it could not find a place on American television. I find that often the best docos are made for TV, specifically for public broadcasters. This is because of two main things. Firstly th non-commercial nature which makes things for merit, quality importance. The second is the regulated nature of the public broadcaster. The ABC is highly regulated and very critical of its own journalistic output. There is a great tradition of news and current affairs programs on The ABC and Four Corners is Documentary has had a resurgence lately. Many Docos have had a cinema release. one of the highlights

http://www.dvdorderonline.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks