Pre-Order They Shall Not Grow Old (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
240407_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF and Mark_TB

Sam Favate

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Hmmm... It says "currently unavailable. We don't know when or if it will be back in stock."

Very frustrating.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Hmmm... It says "currently unavailable. We don't know when or if it will be back in stock." Very frustrating.
Ron's link is the problem. Once you follow Ron's link to Amazon, click on the "Blu-ray $28.65" button. That will take you to the proper Amazon page, which states the disc will be available tomorrow, May 7th.

In Amazon's usual fashion, reviews of the disc are for multiple releases, DVD and Blu-ray, from the UK, with many complaints that the disc would not play on U.S. machines. If those reviews remain, as I expect they will, U.S. purchasers will be thoroughly confused.

Last edited:

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
And since it's an Allied Vaughn/Warner archives sourced disc there really is no telling when it might ship. It could be tomorrow or 3 weeks from now given their recent issues expanding into the A-V sourced discs from multiple studios

I also don't like the fact that Amazon is listing it for $28 when the MSRP is only 24.99. Normally I try not to list other prices in Ron's amazon Preorder threads, but this situation with multiple studios is getting a bit out of hand and now they're adding 20% premium to order a disc that may not ship on time. If the mods feel this is more appropriate in the Weekly Deals I won't get my feeling hurt if they move it

$20 from Bullmoose -- listed in stock and ships today. Free Shipping at $30 if you can find another item, $2.99 for shipping otherwise, but no sale tax outside of Maine. If you happen to be in Maine or NH, they even have it in-store

Deep Discount $21 shipping is $1.99 or FS at $25, + tax pretty much in all states with tax now.

Walmart $21 with Free 2 Day shipping it appears

Last edited:

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Today, May 7th, is release day. Amazon shows the disc to be "temporarily out of stock."

Kyrsten Brad

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
This release interests me in two ways.

1. A truly comprehensive look at World War I and the history behind The Great War.

2. The current state of colorization technology and the advances made since say, those colorized Three Stooges shorts by West Wing Studios.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Just saw They Shall not Grow Old on Blu-ray. What an extraordinary film - superb. I may have appreciated this more since I'm a World War I buff.

WWI one of the most devastating, horrific wars of all time; it was the first large conflict to be fought with "modern" weapons (tanks, aircraft, etc.) - but also one that literally paved the way to the world as it is today. I.e., IMHO the events in WW I were the beginnings of modern history.

So, it was very interesting to see this pseudo-documentary film with the voice-overs. Even though the tone(s) of the voices were very matter-of-fact as they described what happened, these stories really illustrated how horrendous the war was. It was also interesting to hear how relatively indifferent the "general public" was to the soldiers returning from the war - at least based on the testimonials towards the end of the film.

One of my favorite "restored" scenes was when the cannon fired near that building, and the noise vibrations?! caused the roof tiles to shake & fall off - thereby emphasizing how intense this noise was. No wonder these noises caused soldiers to go deaf (either temporarily or permanently).

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisR

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
I thought this production was excellent. I admire all the work that must have gone in to it...It is too bad that 45% was glossed over with no 3D release.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Just saw They Shall not Grow Old on Blu-ray. What an extraordinary film - superb. I may have appreciated this more since I'm a World War I buff.

WWI one of the most devastating, horrific wars in human history; it was the first large conflict to be fought with "modern" weapons (tanks, aircraft, etc.) - but also one that literally paved the way to the world as it is today. I.e., IMHO the events in WW I were the beginnings of modern history.

So, it was very interesting to see this pseudo-documentary film with the voice-overs. Even though the tone(s) of the voices were very matter-of-fact as they described what happened, these stories really illustrated how horrendous the war was. It was also interesting to hear how relatively indifferent the "general public" was to the soldiers returning from the war - at least based on the testimonials towards the end of the film.

One of my favorite "restored" scenes was when the cannon fired near that building, and the noise vibrations?! caused the roof tiles to shake & fall off - thereby emphasizing how intense this noise was. No wonder these noises caused soldiers to go deaf (either temporarily or permanently).
I was also amazed by the cannon scene. Just one shot almost demolished a building which wasn't even the target.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Ok, Mike I could even go 46%. :) But I am bias. Not able to see this in theaters...so I did not want to show that bias. But I would love to see the 3D efforts.

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I saw this film in the theatre in 3D and found it intensely moving and fascinating, especially the colourization and restoration, which is why we attended. (I am a history buff, and really learned nothing new about WW1.)

I wouldn’t be too bummed out about no 3D. It probably would be better at home, but as usual for us, it was barely noticeable in “Real”3D. I often looked without glasses, and saw very little difference. (Does “Real” mean like real life, where you don’t notice 3D unless you make it a point to close one eye?)

Having said that, I will not buy the disc. It has no replay value for me.

Reactions: Jack K

Brian Kidd

Effects Supervisor
Premium
I caught one of the few 3D screenings in my area when it came around. While the colorization and "modernization" of the footage make the film worth seeing by themselves, the 3D was, at times, astonishing in its power to transport you to a time that very, very few people who are still around lived through. It's a damned shame that the 3D version is being ignored for home video.

Reactions: Tino and bujaki

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozovoz