What's new

These things are Big and Hungry! (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Without getting too specific, you'd probably have to go 2x or better in price (MSRP) to get considerably better speakers than those guys.

That's a pretty good size room. Mine is a little bigger than that at 19x20 and I use 5 speakers that have similar specs to those guys except they are 4 Ohm. It should be enough to fill that room, and with any of those amps you should have no problem.

Also might want to give the Rockets a look at www.av123.com

If you are just looking for crazy loud, maybe Klipsch would work for you? I'm not a fan of them (bright), but you might want to go give them a listen. They'll sound better than the CVs too.

Mark--M

Stunt Coordinator
I had a set of Cerwin Vega D9's a few years ago. They do get fairly loud off of a 100wpc reciever, but they are hands down completely different on a decent power amp. I ran mine off a 500wpc QSC amp. I never ever pushed them to 500w but I did run them hard at times with no problems. A power amp with 200-250 WPC would be perfect for them. You will defenatly see a huge difference upgrading from a reciever.

After saying all that about power, I agree with others in that they are probably not the best choice for HT. Lots of people seem to like Klipsh speakers for their ability to play loud. The bigger JBL northridge models are fairly efficient too.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
The Ascends are pretty highly regarded and have a very flat frequency response. I don't think I know of any speakers that could best the Ascends as much as the Ascends best the Cerwin Vegas without maybe going into those giant line array type speakers.

Foster_G

Agent
Really that is just it. I want a good quality speaker that will be able to handle any and all material I throw at it and still be up for some more. The Rockets are a fine quality speaker. My God they are practically art. But, I'm not looking for a system of timbre matched speakers, but rather seven identical speakers to avoid any differences in sound from speaker to speaker. That's what I'm exeriencing in my set-up right now and that just seems to be the logical thing to do.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
If I were you then, I would try out 3 Ascend 340s, LCR. Listen for pans from left to right, right to left, test their response in your room, listen to music with them, etc. I think there are a lot of recorded left to right or 360 pans out there, in stereo or DD, to test system unity. If you don't like them, you can send them back. If you like them, order 2 or 4 more depennding on 5.1 or 7.1. If I'm not mistaken, the 340 center is the exact same speaker as the 340 main, just turned on its side.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have 5 identical speakers and it does make a difference, however the biggest difference was just having the front three very well matched or identical. Front to rear is less of an issue, as long as the surrounds are timbre matched, it will work fine.

Proper calibration and placement is just as important as speaker selection though, and your issue is likely a combination of all of those factors.

Foster_G

Agent
My regards to you all for your input. It is really appreciated. Talked with Ascend Acoustics and the good news is if I don't like their product after 30 days I can send 'em back no questions asked.

In addition, SVS (very helpful, and highly recommended) talked to me about my room and I've got a few options in hand depending on which way I want to go. Yes, the PB12-Ultra/2 is an option, so who knows. :D

Really though, thanks guys.

Regards,
Foster

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I have a pair of Cv's. 15'woof and such. They sound good, but I'd go with something else. Klipsch is what I'm going to upgrade to.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

If you go with the Cerwin Vega speakers for the front Right/Left channels, what do you plan on using for the center channel and rear surrounds? You'll have a lot of slam coming from the front, but the center and surrounds should be able to keep up, too. Not to forget, the timbre on the center channel should match the front R/L speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks