What's new

These test results from tests performed on me by my doctor are puzzling. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
Well I'm severely overweight, which I'm working on. My doctors took tests to see how my blood is, heart is, lungs are, etc., to see how I am generally and to se if I can use this medication that will help me with losing weight. Well my blood pressure's normal, heart rate is normal, an EKG showed that my heart sounds healthy and strong, my lungs sound healthy and unclogged, my sugar level is normal, my cholesterol level is way lower now than when I was 8 and skinny and it's in the normal range now where as back then it was extremely high, my thyroid levels are good. Everything they tested for came out normal. I have no idea how this could be. They always say the sugar is high, blood pressure is high, and cholesterol is high when you're overweight. I'm extremely puzzled at this.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a medic, but I think I'm right in saying that obesity is simply a risk factor - it doesn't *guarantee* that you'll get Type II diabetes, heart problems, etc; just that they become far more *likely*. Having said that, how old are you, Stephen? Problems tend to build up over time, so it's worth shedding the extra weight now when you have the chance.

If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat. The diet and exercise can be a swine (particularly at Easter egg time), but I keep telling myself it's worth it in the end.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I'm 22. I'm more healthy now, then I was when I was a child. I'm trying my damnedest to lose weight. I've severely cut down on eating and am alot more active. I'm not a sweets person or a red meats and ham person. I love fruits and vegetables. My downfall is soda and cheese, but I'ce cut down alot on them too. I mainly drink water, juice, and iced tea now. I don't use butter, I use Land O Lakes sweet cream, which is alot better than butter and margirane. I'm not huge on chips either. I have a very slow metabolism, so whatever I eat stays with me. Being overweight runs in my mom's family, althoush she herself isn't. My mom and dad have extremely high cholesterol. My mom's on medication for it. I'm just surprised that everything is normal. My cholesterol was over 300 when I was 8, now it's down under 200.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I'm overweight too and all my bloodwork and other tests are generally normal. I had a "borderline" cholesterol test about two years ago, but it's normal now. I had a treadmill stress test about a year ago and the doctor told me the results were as good as someone 10 years younger than me (I'm 32.) The thing that's weird, is my parents and my brother have all had high blood pressure and cholesterol problems. In fact, my dad passed away from a heart attack at 48 (he wasn't overweight) and my mom and brother both take medication for hypertension and cholesterol. My mom could stand to lose a few pounds and my brother is thin as a rail. Don't know how I've managed to avoid these ailments with the weight I'm at now, but I count my blessings each time the doctor gives me a clean bill of health.

Tony G

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen,

If you're eating better and (especially) exercising, this may be what is being reflected in your cholesterol being lower.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Yea, could be. It's been the best it has in like 15 years. I don't eat much meat anymore, rarely eat eggs, don't use butter, and all that stuff. My only downfall now is cheese and soda. Someday I'll be down to a fairly normal weight. I'm determined to be now. It's more healthy and easier to live with a normal weight.

Ash Williams

Second Unit
I'm overweight also, always have been as far back as I can remember. I have tried losing weight before, nothing happened, so I said screw it. I'm not tring to hurt your confidence or anything, Stephen, but I look at it this way. Your only on Earth once so you might as well enjoy it, if you enjoy eating then eat what you enjoy. Same goes for everything else I guess. In my experience, doctors really don't understand obesity as much as they would like to, some people are just naturally "bigger" and when they DO lose weight, it's three times as hard for them to keep it off then for someone who has never had to. Good luck to ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks