These refrence titles don't look very reference on my TV.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ruiz, Apr 10, 2002.

1. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

Hi Everyone,

Everyone always mentions how "Toy Story (Part 1)" and "Pitch Black" are absolute reference quality DVDs, but on my Sony Wega, there are two scenes that stand out, that just look absolutely horrible.

In Toy Story, near the end, one of the toys or maybe the boy (I can't remember, because I've only seen it once, and it was 2 months ago) was holding a Red Hat. On the red hat, there was terrible "Video Noise".

On Pitch Black, when the main character goes into the "Dark Room" and she says "Lights on" and the lights don't turn on, there is WAY too much film grain. It also happens again, when she is turning the "planets" in the same dark room later in the movie. The film grain is very distracting.

Does anyone else see these flaws, or just it just be my TV?

2. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

could be your player, your tv, cables, combination of all three.

3. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

Have you calibrated your set with the likes of Avia or Video Essentials? That would be the 1st thing to check.

Good luck! And yes, they're absolutely awesome disks.

Chris.

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  6. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

Oooh! That explains the red "Video Noise". I have a Sony- NS700, and I have heard that this player had the chroma bug, but since I didn't know what it looked like, I never found it. But, I guess that I finally saw it on Toy Story 1.

Yes, my TV is calibrated with "Video Essentials".

Ok, I believe everyone about the Chroma issue with Toy Story, but what about with all the film grain in "Pitch Black". Don't tell me that my player is causing film grain!

I just put the movie into my player, and it's not film grain...I don't know what it is, but it looks terrible. It's all blocky, (Not pixalated) and there is video noise everywhere.

I see it from 24:14 - 24:24, so for 10 seconds, the picture quality looks absolutely horrendous.

It happens again at 24:37-24:52 (15 seconds)

Notice, that this is the "Director's cut" and not the rated pg-13 version.

7. David Brashear

David Brashear Stunt Coordinator

I've never seen Pitch Black, but it could just be the way it was shot. If a scene is really dark, there is going to be film grain.

8. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Pitch Black was a pretty low-budget movie ($20 Million) so I suspect that the grain may just be natural to the picture in this case.

Actually the theatrical version of PB is rated R, the Unrated edition ads only about five minutes of footage none of it violence or gore. According to director David Twohy Universal thought it would sell more copies if it said "Unrated Version" instead of "Director's Cut" so they just didn't bother to send it to the MPAA for rating, even though none of the additions would have changed the rating really.

- Guy

9. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Pitch Black reference? It's grainy and over staturated...Intentionally of course. I don't know how it got regarded as such.

BUT for sound, that's another matter.

Jeff

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

This is a gross oversimplification, so don't crucify me, techies: typically, in a low light situation, the film stock that's needed to pick up any detail (and is also affordable to low budget filmmakers) is very grainy. That will show up in the end result on the print, and also on the DVD unless noise reduction is used (which also tends to erase non-grain details). Pitch Black fits that bill very nicely. Lots of low light, and low budget. It's going to be grainy. Worry not. [​IMG]

11. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Guy,

Pitch Black added some scenes which were more graphic (gore) which is why it was given the "unrated" stamp even though that is generally given to materials which contain very strong sexual content. Apears that excessive gore also falls into this catagory even though what I saw wasn't anything more shocking than one can see in a PG-13 movie!

12. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

There are the websites that said that "Pitch Black" was absoulute reference material:
    DVD Angle
    Amazon.com

13. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

14. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Steven-
    I'm taking my info from this interview with Twohy at DVD File:
    http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_...vid/index.html

15. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

He's right. I saw this one in the theaters and the character scenes are the only noticable changes. Nothing new as far as action or gore.