What's new

There's something rattling inside my Shiva! (1 Viewer)

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
I recently built two shiva sonotube subs, I was running some sinewaves the other day and I noticed a rattling sound. I checked all the walls and windows and everything else nearby, and finally decided that something had got inside the sub and was sitting in the driver surround. I pulled the driver out - nothing in the surround, I then shook the driver and noticed that the rattle was something inside the dust cover.

When watcvhing movies at high volume it is not noticeable but on low volume it is a pain in the arse. How hard would it be to remove the dust cover myself to get the bugger out? Or should I just sent the driver back and get a new one?

Anyone want to take a guess at what's inside it?

Harry.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Hold the driver face up, there is a hole in the back of the magnet. This hole goes all the way to the dust cap I believe(I could be mistaken, Jack Gilvey and the rest of the sub driver gurus should know better than I). Cant remember if there is a screen covering it or not. If not, try shaking it to see if you can get whatever it is to fall out the bottom of the magnet hole. If not, then contact Dan Wiggins and see what he has to say.

Travis G

Stunt Coordinator
It could be voice coil rub. Sometimes when speakers are manufactured the voice coil is not properly centered in the gap causing it to rub against the pole piece and make kind of a rasping sound. I don't know how anything would have gotten under the dustcap but I guess anything is possible.

Also sometimes the magnet is not properly attached to the basket so it too can rattle. It's really hard to detect before you use your subwoofer. It can be fixed by running a bead of calk between the basket and the frontplate. Before you do anything though contact Dan Wiggins.

Travis

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestion Jeff, I just put the driver back in the sub so i'll have to pull it out again and try that.

Travis, I dont think it is voice coil rub or the magnet, it sounds like some thing very small, when I hold the driver face down and tilt it from side to side I can hear it rolling around on the dustcap.

Harry.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Harry,

Sounds like a loose drop of dried glue. That should be replaced under warranty; contact your dealer for exchange.

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks