There's Something More About Mary - Seamless Branching ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sven Lorenz, May 19, 2003.

1. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

Just a short yes/no question:
    Will the extended cut of 'There's Something More about Mary' be done in seamless branching or integrated branching ?
    Some retailers claim it's seamless but the press release doesn't say how the branching is done.

2. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I think the old press relese said it was, but not too sure.

3. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Given Fox's history of branching titles, I would say it's likely to be seamless.

4. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

What exactly is Fox's history with branching? Although Independence Day was seamless, X-Men was not (at least originally, and since the new scenes are of inferior quality it's not really seamless, is it?).
    I can't really think of any other titles that are Fox's. Kate and Leopold had branching, but what was the deal with it?

5. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Fox and seamless braching include: The Abyss, Independence Day and Die Hard. Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes (as well as the Lucas Star Wars discs) feature multiple angles to branch the films - this is basically using the same technology as seamless branching, but in a much simpler form.

Substantial rumours are that the new Alien discs will all include seamless branching presenting 2 or more cuts of each film.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show also includes branching, both to show filmed inserts (similar to the "White Rabbit" on the Matrix) and to present 3 different cuts of the film (the mis-named UK and USA versions, and O'Brian's original intended opening as an Easter Egg). The different cuts on the disc are presented with plain branching (pre-programmed 'chapter' playback, resulting in a slight pause at the branch point).

X-Men was not seamless branching (again it was like the "White Rabbit" feature) - apparently at the request of the director. This is true for the original X-Men release (where perhaps the deleted scenes didn't exist at that point of time in a cleaned-up state in the first place, making seamless branching an illogical choice) and the new 1.5 release.

6. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Alright, you know your stuff [​IMG]
    But I hope they use seamless, because it's just annoying when the branching pauses or takes you to scenes that are obviously of lower quality or different AR than the movie.
    I'm really looking forward to this version of TSAM because it's so rare that branching is used on a comedy like this. Sounds like a great edition of the movie.

7. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

As you say, I wouldn't call the branching used in The Matrix or Planet of The Apes "Seamless" exactly since it required the user to hit a button when an on-screen icon appeared in order to "Branch" to the extra material, it might use the same basic technology but it is not the same application as true Seamless Branching IMO. Not Apples & Oranges exactly but certainly Apples & Pears...same basic thing, yet different (I'm sure somebody with advanced knowledge of fruit genealogy will chime in correcting me on the relationship between Apples & Pears..[​IMG]).

Me personally, I hate this form of..let's call it "Icon Branching" since I don't know the true technical term..branching, to me it is annoying, just branch to the damn extras already.....that doesn't bring me to a new level of laziness does it? Too lazy to press a button? [​IMG] :b [​IMG]

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

9. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

11. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

12. Sven Lorenz

That review doesn't mention if the branching is seamless or not.

13. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Sven, I've got a Region 1 preview copy in my hands and it DOES indeed use seamless branching for the extended scenes. [​IMG]

14. P and SO

P and SO Agent

Would you mind a quick review Jeremy?

15. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Picture quality is outstanding...1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. Colours are superb, virtually free of dust and dirt, no noticeable edge enhancement on my 47" Panny. 5.1 soundtrack is front-heavy, like most movies of this type.

Seamless branching was ,well, seamless. [​IMG] I only noticed two instances where the picture 'jumped' a little as it switched.

Sorry, I can't be too specific until the actual review is posted over at the website I review for.

You can send me a PM if you have any other questions.

16. Sven Lorenz