What's new

There's hope for classic film buffs after all. (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news! :)
My take on these films:
To Catch a Thief: an underappreicated Hitchcock. Very good. Not Rear Window/NxNW/Vertigo/Psycho level, but definitely a great Hitchcock film.
Houseboat: probably won't be very popular around here because it's definitely not a 'serious' film. Just a very nice comedy.
Roman Holiday: another very nice film. Very laid back, almost M. Hulotish, if you know what I mean.
Sunset Blvd.: anyone who knows me, knows I love Billy Wilder. I think he's the 2nd greatest director of all time. However, for some reason, this film just doesn't do it for me. I think I find the acting too over the top. The more I analyze classic films I don't like, the more I find this to be one of the factors that turns me off (e.g., Gone With the Wind, A Streetcar Named Desire). Still, bound to be a popular choice.
Frankly I'm torn about Sunset Blvd. I own every other Billy Wilder available, and will buy and watch every other one that ever becomes available. If I bought this it would just be to be a completist, as I'd never watch it. I guess it'll depend on my wallet at that time.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Was just watching the DVD of BAREFOOT CONTESSA, and thinking it would be nice to then watch SUNSET BOULEVARD.
Two witty and entertaining films about entertainment, will make a great double bill.
Looks like November 5th will be a red-letter day for me in buying DVD, if I can say that about a noir film:)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
To Catch a Thief is pretty light-weight, but it's enjoyable and Monaco ought to look fantastic on DVD. There are quite a few scenic shots that I remember well, but I've always seen them cropped and washed-out on VHS. This ought to be like night and day. Besides that, almost any Hitchcock or Grant movie is worth seeing, and Grace Kelly is very lovely here (as usual). So, as George says, don't expect top tier Hitchcock and you should do fine.

I've only seen Sunset Blvd. once, but I imagine I like it a little better than George. It's something of a noir, but it's very different from what you would usually expect from a noir. It's one in a long line of movies in which Hollywood turns a spotlight on itself, but it is definitely a cut above the majority of these. I think if you don't mind the acting style in the other films George mentioned, you'll be able to appreciate this one.

I haven't seen Houseboat, but I imagine George is correct here, too. It looks like a light, fun comedy. I'll pick it up.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
To Catch a Thief: Hitchock, Grace Kelly, and Cary Grant. What else do you need? I'm curious how that striped shirt Grant wears will look since it has to be a nightmare for video.

Looking forward to all of them.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm curious how that striped shirt Grant wears will look since it has to be a nightmare for video.
8 1/2 had similar problems, but they didn't pose a problem. Paramount has been putting out excellent transfers, so I'm looking forward to Sunset Blvd. and To Catch A Thief (need more Hitchcock films!).

I'm sure someone will suggest for Grant's shirt to be digitally replaced with a walkie talkie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Over the last several years, everytime I watched that film it drives me crazy.:)
Crawdaddy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Paramount is doing an excellent job in getting their ctatlog titles out on DVD. I wish they still owned all their pre-1950 films as Universal is perhaps the worst company for releasing catalog titles (thank god for their license with Criterion).
I'm dying to get my hands on Sunset Boulevard as the laser of this film was horrible. I just read the book on the making of this film, so I'm really in the mood to watch it again. To Catch a Thief, The Italian Job and Roman Holiday are also on my must-buy list.
Thanks Paramount!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
All enjoyable films I have them on tape (who winced?) if I had to pick just one for dvd purchase it would be 'To Catch a Thief' well you see I'm a Hitchcock fanboy (hmm wonder if Hitchcock fans call themselves Hitchers or Hitchies?);), it's not one of the greats but still hugely enjoyable and a must buy for moi.
I also have a soft spot for The Italian Job which I remember seeing at the cinema in a reissue in the early 70's, love those mini's, the cars were great too!:D
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" The Italian Job

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much agree with George, except for Sunset Blvd. While this might not be Wilder at his best, he could phone it in and I’d probably still watch the film. I’ll pick it up, but it won’t be a priority.

Tim RH

Second Unit
Well, I personally think that SUNSET BOULEVARD is Wilder's greatest achievment (and the AFI agrees with me); it's very entertaining and the best look at Hollywood I've ever seen along with SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm VERY excited about having Sunset Boulevard and Roman Holiday on DVD! I haven't seen To Catch a Thief since I was a kid, but I'm sure I'll buy it. I haven't seen The Italian Job, but it sounds good.
Audrey Hepburn is cute as can be in RH. It's the first movie I remember seeing her in. It's got a fascinating story behind it too (wrt Dalton Trumbo). I'd love to see them put the AMC "Backstory" episode, or similar biography of the movie on the DVD.
I first saw Sunset Boulevard as a kid, late at night on TV. I was all alone and Gloria Swanson scared the bejezzuz out of me! At the end when we find out he's dead
oh man, I had nightmares for weeks. When I was grown up, I saw the movie on a big screen at a midnight showing. That's when I was really impressed with the movie, and it's been near the top of my list of films I want on DVD. I'm very happy.
(Now, if they'd only release Reds, Little Big Man and Treasure of the Sierra Madre, my DVD collection would be perfect!)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
anyone who knows me, knows I love Billy Wilder. I think he's the 2nd greatest director of all time.
Right behind Michael Bay, right? ;)
Seriously, I'm awfully fond of Wilder's "Ace in the Hole." (AKA The Big Carnival -- sheesh what a lame retitling...) A little too grim for some but vintage Wilder nonetheless.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Every time I watch Sunset Boulevard now, I keep remembering the Andrew Lloyd Webber production of the same name that ran a few years back on Broadway. That show, which originally starred Glenn Close, remains for me, as one of the most elaborately staged broadway production ever.

~Edwin

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
When I saw Sunset Boulevard, I was reminded of an episode of Wings.

Roman Holiday and To Catch a Thief are movies starring great-looking people. And they happen to be very good movies.

I haven't seen Italian Job.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks